Osteo Thread

Guest snakes

Odd question for all of you non-amputees...

FedX (yes he is still going, almost 6mo past diagnosis :), with the osteo in the front left wrist, i have recently noticed that the hair on the leg in the area of the cancer is going grey while the rest of the leg isn't. Has anyone else seen this? I'm not worried so much as curious....

ETA: he has not had any chemo, one dose of radiation about 2 months ago. it is just funny to see it be so defined, he has a cute little 'sock' now!

Edited by snakes

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about non-aps, but Dude got immediately grey all over once the chemo started. He's not black so much as roan now. Metabolically it makes sense that more grey would show us as the body is stressed, but weird how it came right over the site.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so happy for so much good news! I hope James is feeling better soon and hoping for some positive updates, Jane.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Odd question for all of you non-amputees...

FedX (yes he is still going, almost 6mo past diagnosis :), with the osteo in the front left wrist, i have recently noticed that the hair on the leg in the area of the cancer is going grey while the rest of the leg isn't. Has anyone else seen this? I'm not worried so much as curious....

ETA: he has not had any chemo, one dose of radiation about 2 months ago. it is just funny to see it be so defined, he has a cute little 'sock' now!

My guess is it's from the radiation. It's a known side effect. But take what I think with a grain of salt since I'm not a vet. ;) I didn't experience that with Neyla (no radiation for us), but she was already very grey on her front legs up to her shoulder anyway.

So glad to hear FedX is still going strong! :yay

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest juliagulia630

UPDATE: We added Springtime Joint Health and saw a quick improvement. But just recently we are starting to notice him really slowing down. The remaining rear leg looks so weak. It gives out at least once when standing. He can't jump into the car anymore and is very slow to get up. He doesn't look like he is in pain just straining to get up and down. This breaks my heart since James has been such an active grey. He wants to come in from walks earlier and sleeps a lot more. Our list of James' favorite things is starting to get shorter. I can't believe there will be a time where we won't be all together.

I am worried to use massage or a chiropractor since James has space issues. (He bit a tech at OSU and has showed his teeth to my husband numerous times since the amp) I think he feels vulnerable now.

One more thing: His eyes have been watering off and on for a few days. At times the discharge looks like green goop. I have neomycin eye ointment from a corneal abrasion he got last year. I was thinking of starting it since we won't be able to get to the vet until Tuesday (with the holiday). Thoughts?

One more thing: His eyes have been watering off and on for a few days. At times the discharge looks like green goop. I have neomycin eye ointment from a corneal abrasion he got last year. I was thinking of starting it since we won't be able to get to the vet until Tuesday (with the holiday). Thoughts?

I'm sorry he's been having problems. For his eyes, I'd just use a saline wash to try to clean out his eyes, and wait for input from the vet before I tried anything medicated.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Julia, Robin brings up a good point about the heat. Many pups slow down a lot with the heat and humidity. Do you have A/C or a fan blowing on him? We don't have A/C but do have a fan blowing all day for the pups, windows closed during the day due to heat and only open them at night to let the cooler air in.

As for the 'space issues', you could use a muzzle however the masseuse would have to be 'grey savvy' to understand the possible reaction from James. I understand your concerns though because even with a muzzle on, I don't see masseuse or chiropractor dealing with it too well.

Hoping that James improves. He's a special boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Just wanted to add a link to DW's blog where she detailed Charlie's diet and supplements, etc. Hopefully this will help others seeking this kind of information as it took a lot research to get this down.

http://pinneyandpnut.blogspot.com/p/charlies-cancer-diet.html

Hope everyone's pups are doing well. I am concerned about James and hope he is doing better.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest juliagulia630

It brings me to tears to see how concerned everyone is for a pup they have never met. I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts and I think their prayers are working. James ran to me when I came home from work today. I haven't seen him do that in over a week and I thought I would never see it again. It's funny how it's the little things that he does that I will miss the most. It's the things I took for granted during our 7 years together. Thank you all again.

Way to go James!!! Keep it up buddy!

Guest Puddyrun

Well, I have just unfortunately become a member of the osteo club. My beautiful boy Isaac was diagnosed yesterday. He is 11.5 years old and we are not going to amputate. His left shoulder basically blew up last week. No biopsy was needed,the xrays were enough. We have him on Deramaxx and Tramadol and just picked up curcumin. Any info or recommendations are greatly appreciated. My heart is breaking...

Well, I have just unfortunately become a member of the osteo club. My beautiful boy Isaac was diagnosed yesterday. He is 11.5 years old and we are not going to amputate. His left shoulder basically blew up last week. No biopsy was needed,the xrays were enough. We have him on Deramaxx and Tramadol and just picked up curcumin. Any info or recommendations are greatly appreciated. My heart is breaking...

I am so very sorry. We are here for you and Isaac. If you have any questions please ask, unfortunately there is too much experience here.

I'm so sorry to hear the news. I can't offer advice with pain management, I went the amp route.

But I'm sure you will get plenty of advice and hugs.

Guest Puddyrun

Thank you. I have zero experience with this. I quess one good thing is that the xrays showed that his lungs are clear.

I'm so sorry. This is awful news. I just went through the same thing with Phoenix. He was also 11.5 years old. Please don't hesitate to vent or ask questions. We've all been there :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

So sorry to hear that you and Isaac have joined our club (I think this is the only type of club that is unhappy to have new members!) :(

Glad to hear that James is feeling better. In general, my dogs are lazier in the summer since it's so stinkin' hot outside. They also eat less food this time of year.

One thing I always try to remember from Winslow is that after he went through chemo, his hair changed and he was fuzzier and also got hot a lot easier than he used to. I am finding that very true with Ace, as she's on oral chemo (leukeran) for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. She is very fuzzy, kind of downy in a way. And she gets warm. This winter she never needed her jammies because she would be too warm if I put them on her. She always used to be cold in the wintertime. That being said, she had a blast playing in the snow! :lol I always turn the air on as soon as it reaches 80 degrees here so the pups stay cool, but I make sure Ace has a fan as well (like Winslow had his "fanny" :)). At bedtime she now lays in bed with me because the breeze from the ceiling fan hits her just right :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

One thing I always try to remember from Winslow is that after he went through chemo, his hair changed and he was fuzzier and also got hot a lot easier than he used to. I am finding that very true with Ace, as she's on oral chemo (leukeran) for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. She is very fuzzy, kind of downy in a way. And she gets warm. This winter she never needed her jammies because she would be too warm if I put them on her. She always used to be cold in the wintertime. That being said, she had a blast playing in the snow! :lol I always turn the air on as soon as it reaches 80 degrees here so the pups stay cool, but I make sure Ace has a fan as well (like Winslow had his "fanny" :)). At bedtime she now lays in bed with me because the breeze from the ceiling fan hits her just right :)

Kristen,

That is interesting to hear about Ace. We have found Charlie is always hot no matter the day and he is one of those Greys with thin fur. Now after the chemo rounds and Palladia, he is a lot greyer and has almost no hair on his chest, stomach, etc. He was also light on the fur compared to Jack but now it's incredibly different.

It brings me to tears to see how concerned everyone is for a pup they have never met. I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts and I think their prayers are working. James ran to me when I came home from work today. I haven't seen him do that in over a week and I thought I would never see it again. It's funny how it's the little things that he does that I will miss the most. It's the things I took for granted during our 7 years together. Thank you all again.

I know that feeling all too well. :grouphug So glad to hear that the pred seems to be helping. :thumbs-up

I'm so sorry that Isaac has been diagnosed. We all know how heartbreaking it is to get that diagnosis. :( My recommendation is to spoil him silly for hte time you have left and to be generous with the pain meds. You may want to talk to your vet about having Gabapentin on hand as well. Many of us have had success using it as an additional pain management tool and it can be used safely with the meds you are giving. Hang in there and cherish your boy - take lots of photos and videos too, you won't regret it. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Puddyrun

Thanks to everyone for your kind words! I'm sure I will be checking in often asking questions and yes,venting. He's already pretty spoiled but I quess I'll amp it up even more. I will definitely ask the vet about the Gabapentin. Isaac is pretty good right now. We shared some watermelon and now he's bugging me for more snacks :)

Sending along some scritchies for Isaac and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Puddyrun

I'm so sorry. This is awful news. I just went through the same thing with Phoenix. He was also 11.5 years old. Please don't hesitate to vent or ask questions. We've all been there :grouphug

Robinw,if you don't mind me asking,did you also just use pain management with Phoenix?

Jumping in to the fray. :( Berkeley is 8 years old, with a lesion on the distal radius front left leg.

I don't even know where to start, honestly. The onco vet at Angell Memorial felt strongly that Berkeley would be OK as a tripod, but he's always had a "lame" back left leg. He limped horribly when we adopted him at 2 and we spent a ton of money trying to figure out why - and never got an answer. It's gotten better over the years, but never 100%. When he goes down stairs, he hops on one leg in the back - so three legs it already. So I don't know. I think a front leg amp would be tough on him. :(

He's currently showing no pain. Even after two hours at the vet today, he was still putting full weight on it. I have him on 50 mg deramaxx and 50 mg tramadol once a day. He's either stoic, or the current dosage is doing its job.

Yesterday he wanted to run around like a maniac so I'm worried if I don't amp that he's going to break his leg.

Here's my bub at Dewey a few years back:

CIMG1402.jpg

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I'm so sorry you have joined this club. Berkley is a beautiful guy.

I had the same concerns about Phene after he was diagnosed with osteo. I didn't want him to break his leg, but he was still feeling good enough to play. I received some great advice in this thread about using my own judgement, which I did. Ultimately I let him play with Treasure in the backyard, but never without close supervision.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg