Osteo Thread

Guest KathyK

I am so sorry Kristen. We just went through this 2 months ago today. You are doing the most loving thing for Tiny, hard as it is. Our big boy Ward will be there to welcome Tiny at the bridge. Loving thoughts your way.

Kathy

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll be thinking of you all today and looking for Tiny's new star in the sky tonight. :grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thinking of you and your boy, Kristen.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest juliagulia630

I am so sorry Kristen. Tiny is such a strong and brave boy. Thinking of you during this tough time.

Thinking of you and Tiny, Kristen. We went through the same doubt yesterday. It certainly seems like an impossible decision, doesn't it?

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Tiny is gone.

It wasn't the peaceful passing I had expected. He shrieked when the vet gave the shot. That made everything worse. Fortunately it was very quick.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

:grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest roselle

Please think good thoughts for Tiny at 4:15 today (mountain time).

We just had a going away party for him. Some friends came over and stuffed him full of bread and cookies and showered him with attention.

He never has lost his appetite the way Argus did and so many others do. He just can't make the slightest movement without pain. Lying immobile on the couch afraid to even twitch a muscle is IMO not good quality of life, and I can't give him any more meds. I am terribly worried that Riley will smash into him as he is very prone to doing and break Tiny's shoulder, which would be catastrophic.

Deciding "when" is the hardest part. It's an easier choice when a dog is lying unconscious with a broken back or its guts hanging out. It's harder when it's something insidious like osteosarcoma. Do you pull the plug on a dog who still enjoys bread slices? Do you wait until there's nothing left? :riphair

Kristan, I'm so sorry for you making a plan to send your dog to the bridge is the hardest part about loving them. We dog lovers all go through this and there is no easy way about it, during it and after it. Just know we are here, all the dog lovers you need with hugs just a click away. I see Howard in every room, he had a bed in every room. I hear his scratchy bark and wish he was here. I know it was his time and can't second guess myself. His spirit was strong but his body was a wreck. If you know it;s Time for Tiney remember it's an act of love. I'm so sad for you and I lit a candle for Tiney. Roselle and Gracy

Kristen and Tiny! :grouphug

Dude is doing chemo number three right now. Fingers crossed he comes home feeling as good as the two previous times.

You go dude :kickbutt:goodluck:offwall

Guest roselle

Please think good thoughts for Tiny at 4:15 today (mountain time).

We just had a going away party for him. Some friends came over and stuffed him full of bread and cookies and showered him with attention.

He never has lost his appetite the way Argus did and so many others do. He just can't make the slightest movement without pain. Lying immobile on the couch afraid to even twitch a muscle is IMO not good quality of life, and I can't give him any more meds. I am terribly worried that Riley will smash into him as he is very prone to doing and break Tiny's shoulder, which would be catastrophic.

Deciding "when" is the hardest part. It's an easier choice when a dog is lying unconscious with a broken back or its guts hanging out. It's harder when it's something insidious like osteosarcoma. Do you pull the plug on a dog who still enjoys bread slices? Do you wait until there's nothing left? :riphair

Kristan, I'm so sorry for you making a plan to send your dog to the bridge is the hardest part about loving them. We dog lovers all go through this and there is no easy way about it, during it and after it. Just know we are here, all the dog lovers you need with hugs just a click away. I see Howard in every room, he had a bed in every room. I hear his scratchy bark and wish he was here. I know it was his time and can't second guess myself. His spirit was strong but his body was a wreck. If you know it;s Time for Tiney remember it's an act of love. I'm so sad for you and I lit a candle for Tiney. Roselle and Gracy

Kristen and Tiny! :grouphug

Dude is doing chemo number three right now. Fingers crossed he comes home feeling as good as the two previous times.

You go dude :kickbutt:goodluck:offwall

RUN FREE TINEY :angelwings:gh_runner:f_red

Guest vahoundlover

:f_red

Tiny, a special lady went to the Bridge on Saturday as well. Joanne is one of the very best, she'll enjoy meeting you. Send your mom and dad a sign that you are ok.

Cancer may have won this battle with you both but it strengthens our resolve to find a way to end this monster.

Kristen, I am so very sorry. :grouphug

Guest racergirl435

Kristen,

I'm so sorry to hear about Tiny. It's never easy letting them go. I still see Seymour running around, even after almost 8 months. They might leave in body, but they never leave in spirit. Hugs to you.

Jess

Kristen, I am sorry you had to say goodbye.

To Tiny, a brave soul.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Seems lots of hugs are in order after this weekend. :(

Kristen, I'm so sorry for your loss of Tiny. I hope you find some peace in the fact that you did the best you could for him, especially in letting him free of his pain at the end. I'm sorry it wasn't as smooth as you had hoped - we had a moment like that too when Neyla yelped at the vet injecting the sedative and it broke my heart that that happened, but everything else went smoothly and she wasn't even scared when the vet came in (she actually went up to her wagging) so in the end, I had to be pretty grateful it went as well as it did given her fear issues.

A friend of mine, who lost a friend of his to cancer when the friend was only in his 30's, told me that with time you don't remember those last moments as much as you do all the good ones throughout their lives. It was really all I would think about after I first lost Neyla, but he's right, with time you do think more about what your dog was like throughout her life, not just when she was sick or in her last moments. I hope that time comes for you sooner rather than later.

Roselle, I'm so sorry to hear that you had to let Howard go. I feel terrible for not asking about him more often, I'm always so focused on how well Gracy is doing. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but it will get easier. It may take a long time, and you'll have times when you think you're doing better and then it hits you like a ton of bricks, but it does get easier. I still miss Neyla with every ounce of my being and I'm crying as I type this, but somehow it does get a little better. Part of it I think is that at some point you have to resume a normal life and that simply distracts you.

Kristin, hugs to you with all of the hard anniversaries coming up. I know how hard those dates are. :grouphug I can't believe that the anniversary of Neyla's diagnosis is only a little over a month away too. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This has been a hard week. Too many threads in Remembrance of special hounds lost to cancer. How I hate hate hate this disease!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest juliagulia630

Bumping with an update on James. He has been doing so well after his first round of carboplatin. He had a little nausea after 48hours but the cerenia fixed that in no time. His amputation is healed and he finally has hair growing over the suture line. We have a 3 story house but our bedroom is on the first floor. We have a ramp for him to go in and out of the house but have been walking him around to the basement doors to spend time with us, which is where we watch movies after our skin kids are in bed. Yesterday James surprised us by going down the stairs on his own! Today I found him on our bed, a place he loved before the osteo diagnosis. And just now, he is bouncing after his marrow bone. He amazes us everyday. After the bad weekend of greyhounds passing, I am grateful everyday we have James in our lives.

After the bad weekend of greyhounds passing, I am grateful everyday we have James in our lives.

This. They are all here for such a short time and yet they give us so much joy. Hug while you got 'em.

I am very happy that James is doing well.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest roselle

Bumping with an update on James. He has been doing so well after his first round of carboplatin. He had a little nausea after 48hours but the cerenia fixed that in no time. His amputation is healed and he finally has hair growing over the suture line. We have a 3 story house but our bedroom is on the first floor. We have a ramp for him to go in and out of the house but have been walking him around to the basement doors to spend time with us, which is where we watch movies after our skin kids are in bed. Yesterday James surprised us by going down the stairs on his own! Today I found him on our bed, a place he loved before the osteo diagnosis. And just now, he is bouncing after his marrow bone. He amazes us everyday. After the bad weekend of greyhounds passing, I am grateful everyday we have James in our lives.

Julia, this is great news. James keep getting stronger and give lots of kisses to your mommy. Roselle and Gracy :kiss2:confetti

I know this thread is for those who are dealing with osteo in the greys, but does anyone have any experience in dealing with brain cancer? My friend was just told that the results of her greyhound Ozzie's MRI and bloodwork are pointing to brain cancer :sad1 . The vet is waiting on the result of the CSF, but feels confident that what he saw on the MRI is cancer. Would anyone mind sharing with me any information on alternative treatments for brain cancer that she can look into?

Guest roselle

I know this thread is for those who are dealing with osteo in the greys, but does anyone have any experience in dealing with brain cancer? My friend was just told that the results of her greyhound Ozzie's MRI and bloodwork are pointing to brain cancer :sad1 . The vet is waiting on the result of the CSF, but feels confident that what he saw on the MRI is cancer. Would anyone mind sharing with me any information on alternative treatments for brain cancer that she can look into?

You should talk to Neyla's mom she has good information. Sending prayers to your friend and her hound.

After the bad weekend of greyhounds passing, I am grateful everyday we have James in our lives.

This. They are all here for such a short time and yet they give us so much joy. Hug while you got 'em.

I am very happy that James is doing well.

:confetti:confetti Yeah James! :confetti:confetti

Dude does the same thing. All of a sudden he'll try something - and do it! - and my heart just goesin my throat! I worry about him on the stairs, but he's doing so well and is so careful usually. :rolleyes: DH and I are trying to really appreciate every day we have with him. He's such a special dog!

He had a low wbc before chemo last week, so we're going in tomorrow for a recheck bloodtest. Fingers crossed his wbc's have rebounded again and he doesn't need antibiotics!

Hugs to all!

Guest roselle

Gracy has developed a hacking dry cough. Is it what we all fear? She coughed yesterday after eating a cookie and I thought is was the cookie. Tonight she has been sitting next to me and coughing every few minutes. On the second cough my heart sunk, one week to the day that we lost Howard. It hit me, it's in her lungs. Does it happen like this? She's eating and looking good. I just can't loose her too. Tell me how it starts and how long do I have with her. What else could cause a cough. :riphair:goodluck:headwall:angryfire

Is anybody up?? I'm on the west coast so you all are probably asleep. My luck I have to wait and have someone post that I'm just paranoid. :lol

Roselle, the cough could be anything however if it continues, then I suggest an X-ray of her lungs. Yes it can be what we all fear but before going there, she could simply have had some food stuck in her throat, who knows? I will hope it's nothing and that Gracy is fine.