Osteo Thread

Aaww Jess. So sorry things are being rough for you. {{{{HUGS!}}}}

Remember every dog reacts in their own way. Plus, whatever it is that's sending her bloodwork screwy might be causing her not to feel good. I hope you can figure out what's going on. If she's still on pain meds those could also be causing her to be a little less energetic and sleepy.

I know with Dude, I just tried to do things he loved with him. For him, that was laying on the floor and snuggling. He's SUCH a cuddlebug! And his most favorite thing in all the world is full-body-contact snuggling. So I put the other dogs upstairs and gave him some significant "Dude Time" every day. If he felt like it, we had some special treats, some pets, I usually did a warm compress on his incision, rubbed him all over, and just fussed over him (which he loves). He always seemed to brighten up after our "sessions."

Does Lucy like car rides? Maybe a ride someplace to get a hamburger or cup of ice cream - NOT to the vet! Hand-feeding her favorite treats at home. A nice full-body massage, especially along the muscles of her back that are getting used more and differently now.

Hang in there. It's hard now, but hopefully will get better soon!

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang in there, RedFawnMom (and sweet Lucy). If she has a lot of seroma, it probably doesn't feel real good. Once that's down and the issue with her platelets is resolved, I'm betting she'll perk up again. Sending hugs.

:nod She may also be picking up on your stress so my advice is to try to worry a little less (I know, easier said than done) and let her do her thing. Sorry you're having a rough time. Hoping that soon you will look back on all of this and really feel it was best for Lucy.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We are hanging in here but things aren't great. Lucy still has a lot of seroma and bruising. No infection - the vet sampled some of the fluid and didn't find any bacteria. Her WBC came up since day 7 post chemo, but her platelets dropped a lot and are around 70...whatever that unit is. They were 150 a week prior. The vet thinks that's the cause of all of the bruising. We're doing a recheck on the platelets on Tuesday. If they're still down, we will probably have to cancel the second chemo dose, scheduled for Friday.

Aside from that, though, she's just...blah. Not in pain, I don't think, but just totally uninterested in anything. She lays in her bed all day. She barely gets up. Even though she's hungry, it takes a lot of coaxing to get her to get up and come into the kitchen to eat. She walks VERY slowly. She lays in my office, alone, quite a bit, while my husband and I are in the next room where she has two comfy beds. She no longer shows any interest in trying the stairs. I am so happy to read about how Dude and James and other pups are so happy and back to themselves shortly after surgery, but it makes me worry because Lucy is not. She was a very active, bouncy, girl and I thought she'd do great as a tripod, but we're at one month post-amp and she's not. I'm trying to stay optimistic - I keep thinking she'll adjust - but right now, I am feeling like this was not the right decision. Yes, we've given her more time, but what's the point if her whole existence is spent laying in her bed? She doesn't do any of the things that made her happy. We try to engage her, to encourage her, without any response. And it's not her fault...I'm not upset with her because she's not herself, I just feel awful that maybe this wasn't the right thing to do, maybe it's not what she would have chosen for herself had she been able to (does that make sense?). :(

Joe didn't recover as quickly as others seemed to either. At 4 weeks he finally stopped whining and acting upset at the situation. His ears began to perk up at a squeaky toy (soft squeaky toys are his favorite). At 6 weeks he finally would pick up and squeak the toy. He didn't really tear around the house with the toy until he was done with the IV chemo.

He didn't have that much bruising but he did have quite a bit of fluid in his chest and legs for about 3 weeks. They had me massage his legs upward.

During chemo, he was somewhat picky with his food and I sometimes had to bribe him with some really good stuff (liver, tuna, etc.) to get him to eat. OSU prescribed Cerenia for 5 days post chemo along with pepcid (before every meal) and peptobismol as needed. He also got some Reglan from time to time.

He is now 7 months post amp. He was doing great until this past Monday. We had a whole day of thunderstorms. He was in a total panic mode and worked himself up so much that he even regurgitated his food. Then for the rest of the week we had solid rain/sleet/hail. He spent the week panting and shivering and wouldn't eat. He wouldn't play. Finally today the rain stopped. He played a little today and ate most of his food. I'm hoping that this past week was totally the result of the thunder and not anything more serious. I alway worry so much. I am going to talk to his vet about medications for his thunderphobia. Nothing I try seems to work and he was worse than I have ever seen him last Monday.

Jane

That is scary that Callie fell, it does happen unfortunately and usually they are fine after. I am glad she is okay and all you got was

a good scare.

Jess, I am sorry Lucy has not perked up yet. It will come in time. Some pups are quicker than others in recovery and like Jane

(Joejoesmom) wrote, each pup is different. I know it's not easy but you will see she will get better. My first guess is her bruising is

making her feel uncomfortable. Have you been applying cold compresses to it? We used a bag of frozen peas in a towel for Charlie and he

really liked it.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Here's hoping everyone's doing well!

After a couple less energetic days, Dude was a pretty bouncy pup out in the sunshine today! His bloodwork last week came back all NORMAL - and his wbc was smack dab in the middle! WooHoo! I'm hoping this trend continues through his next chemo too! We go in this Wednesday morning for number two! He played with a toy for an instant today - which is really all he ever played before, so this was a good day!

Jane, I wonder if Joe feels even less secure / more anxious about thunder because he lost the leg?????? Just thinking out loud, but that could be why he freaked a bit more than previously. Especially if this was the first big and long storm since his surgery.

How's Lucy doing today?

OMG!!!! The first time Dude fell I about had a heart attack! So glad Callie wasn't hurt!

Hugs to all!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Things seem to be going south for Tiny. He suddenly has a lump on his shoulder. He's limping really badly. I'm slipping him way more meds than the vet recommended and it's still not helping. The bright, happy look has gone out of his eyes. He just looks sad and in pain.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better. If he continues like this it might be time to say goodbye soon.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Wondering how everyone's doing today, especially Tiny and family.

Dude's having his second chemo today.

Hugs to all!

Guest roselle

Wondering how everyone's doing today, especially Tiny and family.

Dude's having his second chemo today.

Hugs to all!

Good luck Dude, get lots of rest. Hugs to you. Roselle and Gracy :grouphug:kiss2:cookie

Things seem to be going south for Tiny. He suddenly has a lump on his shoulder. He's limping really badly. I'm slipping him way more meds than the vet recommended and it's still not helping. The bright, happy look has gone out of his eyes. He just looks sad and in pain.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better. If he continues like this it might be time to say goodbye soon.

Kristin and Tiney, It breaks my heart that you're suffering. I'll send a prayer that things will turn around soon. Sending hugs. Roselle and Gracy :kiss2:grouphug

Tiny is having a better day today. He's still not quite himself, but his eyes are bright and he's happily accepting treats. He let that young whippersnapper Riley know in no uncertain terms that he is still the alpha of this pack. Here's hoping for more good days....

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

:goodluck for more good days for Tiny :grouphug

The lump on Sutra's shoulder seemed to come out of nowhere too, but, I know he was losing muscle in that shoulder too, which made it more pronounced. He still carried on for quite a while with the visible lump though...hopefully Tiny's will grow slowly or not at all :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Kristen, I am happy to hear Tiny had a good day. I hope he has many, many more good ones.

Chris, how did Dude's second chemo go? Hope it went smoothly.

Jess, how is Lucy doing? Hang in there, it will get better.

For everyone. Charlie is doing well. I posted an update on him in C&F as he is close to 8mths post amp. Here's the link for those interested: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/269597-flying-fish-in-canada/

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Hey Kyle! Love seeing the Charlie threads as I'm hoping Dude will be following his example. Dude did great with his chemo yesterday! So far he's only had one bout of mystery whining (last night). He'll just cry like he's in pain for about 5 seconds and then he's fine. I thought it was gas or something after his first chemo, but now I'm not so sure. His Oncologist doesn't know what it could be either. It's hard to pin down since he's only been doing this for the two or three days following chemo treatments. He is pretty sleepy for a couple days, which is fine since it's raining heavy here today! Great snuggling weather!

He's also back to plain dry kibble for meals. He only wants kibble (not any canned food or yogurt or anything), and dry, no water. He'll eat canned food if I feed him from a spoon :rolleyes: and yogurt by itself, but he wants NOTHING extra on his meals! What a weirdo! He does seem to really like the Salmon Grain Free Canidae so that's a plus!

Glad Tiny had a better day! How's Lucy doing??

Hugs to all!

While I don't have a hound that is batting OS, I do read these posts. I don't know if it is applicable or not, but when my son was undergoing chemotherapy and his counts dropped, he would feel very lethargic and depressed. I was actually able to know when his counts dropped by what he said or what questions he would ask. Maybe Lucy is feeling the same way? I don't know if it is that way for dogs or not, but just a thought! I found it much easier to answer his questions about whether he was dying (he wasn't and didn't, thank God) when I understood it was his low counts talking, not him.

Many, many good wishes to all of you. I am in awe.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Just wanted to let everyone know that Joe has been enjoying his birthday today. He is now 8! We spent the day cuddling and he got some lamb steak for dinner. It has continued to rain so he is still a bit nervous. OSU has given him some Valium (just to use before storms) to tide him over until his appointment with their behaviorist in a few weeks. Hopefully she can help with his thunderphobia. Also, a very kind greytalker is mailing me her storm defender cape that didn't work for her dog. You guys ROCK!!!

More importantly we are celebrating 7 1/2 months of quality life since his amputation. I wish he didn't hate the camera so much so I could show you how well he is doing.

Jane

Guest roselle

Just wanted to let everyone know that Joe has been enjoying his birthday today. He is now 8! We spent the day cuddling and he got some lamb steak for dinner. It has continued to rain so he is still a bit nervous. OSU has given him some Valium (just to use before storms) to tide him over until his appointment with their behaviorist in a few weeks. Hopefully she can help with his thunderphobia. Also, a very kind greytalker is mailing me her storm defender cape that didn't work for her dog. You guys ROCK!!!

More importantly we are celebrating 7 1/2 months of quality life since his amputation. I wish he didn't hate the camera so much so I could show you how well he is doing.

Jane

Joe, Charlie and Gracy, is that it from the summer diagnosis? I'm so happy to hear Joe is doing to well. Charlie is amazing flying like a bat all over that beautiful property with that silly fish in his mouth. And I thought Charlie was so macho man. Gracy proved to my delight that she is becoming her old self. She got my steak off my plate while I wasn't looking. I was so happy that I pretended not to notice and let her lick the plate clean. :thumbs-up:offwall:P To all of you out there who have pups not doing well I read everyone of your posts and my heart breaks. When you loose the battle I cry with you and then I kiss Gracy 100 times for another day with her. :brokenheart

Happy B-day Joe! :confetti :confetti :confetti Keep it up big guy and I hope the storms go away soon!

Roselle, greyt to hear Gracy is doing well. Stealing your steak, hah! Way to go Gracy!!!

Jane, that is wonderful! Happy birthday Joe. :kiss2

Another birthday here. Today is Neyla's birthday. She would have been 12. I had been doing so much better the last few weeks. Not so much since last night. I miss her so much. :cry1

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Another birthday here. Today is Neyla's birthday. She would have been 12. I had been doing so much better the last few weeks. Not so much since last night. I miss her so much. :cry1

Jen, these special days are very hard. I so wish Neyla was here for her 12th. I am sure there is a huge party over the bridge and she's opening the boxes of treats in her own special way. And she will be thinking of you.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Dude did great with his chemo yesterday! So far he's only had one bout of mystery whining (last night). He'll just cry like he's in pain for about 5 seconds and then he's fine. I thought it was gas or something after his first chemo, but now I'm not so sure. His Oncologist doesn't know what it could be either. It's hard to pin down since he's only been doing this for the two or three days following chemo treatments.

Morgan had on/off whining for a few months after amputation and through chemo. The Vet thought it might be phantom pain and we put him on gabapentin. I can't say if it helped or not since it was so sporatic. After a few months, they went away.