Osteo Thread

I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to Wonder today. Godspeed Wonder!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry he had to leave you.

Godspeed, big-hearted boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So sorry for your loss of Wonder. We'll be thinking of you and looking for a new star in the Heavens tonight.

Run fast and far and pain free sweet Wonder......................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest roselle

I am so sorry to say Wonder went to the Bridge at 5:00 pm today. The hard tumor on his shoulder grew to the size of a big grapefruit and his leg began swelling. If he was laying down it was twice the normal size and when he stood up it was three times. His foot was so big it looked like a bear claw. Nothing we tried worked. It was so hard for him to lay down and he would circle and circle on a bed many times and his legs would shake.

We upped the meds and he still panted while standing. Although he was still greeting us at the door, eating great, going outside was becoming more of a challenge but he even took that on. He began losing weight and his coat wasn't "right." There was something in his eyes that said "I love you but I need your help."

The vet came to the house at 4:45 with a nurse. Scott had a room prepared with new age spa music playing, candles lit and a place for him to lie down. The dogs were outside and when they came in Wonder went to a bed in the living room so that is where it was done.

I had told Scott last night that I hope she brings enough stuff because she will be stopping the heart of a lion. The nurse gave the first medicine and when the vet gave the final medicine, sure enough she had to give it twice.

I think my five year old granddaughter summed it up. She said, "Wonder's really going to be happy in heaven."

I'm so sorry you had to say good by to Wonderful Wonder. Please know you are not alone today, we grieve with you. Run free sweet Wonder. :gh_runner:weep

Guest azlorenz

I am so very sorry to hear of Wonder's passing. I know that he was greated at the bridge by a brigade of those who have gone before him including my Flashyman. :grouphug

Guest KathyK

Barbara,

I am so sorry to hear about Wonder's passing. His osteo progression was very similar to Ward's. We struggled with our decision as he was behaving exactly like Wonder, still eating, still playful and able to go outside but having great difficulty laying down.The Vet even came to our house at the same time of day as your Vet did. Our situations were eerily similar. I say this because we had great feelings of guilt after Ward passed. We second guessed ourselves because we felt like Ward was still too "healthy" to put down. In short, it was the very best thing for Ward and it was a very loving decision you made for Wonder. You absolutely made the right decision. Wonder thanks you for relieving his pain and sending him to the bridge. I am sure he was greeted by all the recent hounds that were lost to this dreadful disease, Ward, Trip, Gypsy, Sparks and Neyla.

Condolences to you and Scott. We are thinking of you and sending hugs to all of you.

Kathy and Phil

Jess, how's Lucy today? Does the swelling have any smell? Is it particularly tender and/or hot to the touch? Is it weeping any fluid at all? It might be worth a trip in to have it checked. Dude's infection was deep inside his remaining stump and ended with him needing another surgery and two different antibiotics.

She seems about the same to me today. We went back to 200mg gabapentin twice a day (we had weaned off to 100mg twice a day) and she also had two half doses of Tramadol today, so I think she's more comfortable than she was yesterday, but the swelling/bruising isn't any better. There's no smell, it doesn't seem hot to the touch or particularly tender (I can gently press on it and she doesn't react). It's not weeping. She's had this issue with "fluid" (can't remember the technical term for it) collecting at the bottom of the stump - the skin sort of hangs down from the weight of the fluid...it's hard to describe. Maybe I will post a picture tomorrow. The fluid build up was really bad around 10 - 15 days post surgery, so much so that we had to wait a whole extra week to get the staples out. It had improved a lot up until yesterday. The ortho who did the surgery actually hasn't seen Lucy since the surgery - she's a long drive away from us, so one of the vets at our local practice took out the staples. He seemed mildly concerned and just said to apply hot compresses (which is what the surgeon suggested in the home care instructions)...but he's not all that familiar with amputations....and honestly, I often don't trust his assessments. I do trust "our" vet at the practice, as she has a greyhound, but she only works on Monday and Tuesday. Argh.

I'm pretty sure it's not an infection, but made an appt with the vet for tomorrow evening anyway because I'm worried about this sudden increase in pain. I'm sure he'll just say to apply hot compresses. I'm debating taking her back to see the ortho.

Did anyone else notice this sort of fluid build-up with their amp pups? I haven't seen it mentioned.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest roselle

Jess, how's Lucy today? Does the swelling have any smell? Is it particularly tender and/or hot to the touch? Is it weeping any fluid at all? It might be worth a trip in to have it checked. Dude's infection was deep inside his remaining stump and ended with him needing another surgery and two different antibiotics.

She seems about the same to me today. We went back to 200mg gabapentin twice a day (we had weaned off to 100mg twice a day) and she also had two half doses of Tramadol today, so I think she's more comfortable than she was yesterday, but the swelling/bruising isn't any better. There's no smell, it doesn't seem hot to the touch or particularly tender (I can gently press on it and she doesn't react). It's not weeping. She's had this issue with "fluid" (can't remember the technical term for it) collecting at the bottom of the stump - the skin sort of hangs down from the weight of the fluid...it's hard to describe. Maybe I will post a picture tomorrow. The fluid build up was really bad around 10 - 15 days post surgery, so much so that we had to wait a whole extra week to get the staples out. It had improved a lot up until yesterday. The ortho who did the surgery actually hasn't seen Lucy since the surgery - she's a long drive away from us, so one of the vets at our local practice took out the staples. He seemed mildly concerned and just said to apply hot compresses (which is what the surgeon suggested in the home care instructions)...but he's not all that familiar with amputations....and honestly, I often don't trust his assessments. I do trust "our" vet at the practice, as she has a greyhound, but she only works on Monday and Tuesday. Argh.

I'm pretty sure it's not an infection, but made an appt with the vet for tomorrow evening anyway because I'm worried about this sudden increase in pain. I'm sure he'll just say to apply hot compresses. I'm debating taking her back to see the ortho.

Did anyone else notice this sort of fluid build-up with their amp pups? I haven't seen it mentioned.

Gracy didn't have the fluid build up but I was told it was possible. It's called something like surroco (this is not the name but it's like this. It's a possibilty with many surgies. Feel better Lucy. :baloons:grouphug

It could be seroma (fluid buildup) but usually you don't see those get better and then get worse again, and they usually don't cause pain unless there's a LOT of fluid build up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It could be seroma (fluid buildup) but usually you don't see those get better and then get worse again, and they usually don't cause pain unless there's a LOT of fluid build up.

Yes, that's the term the vet used. She's not in constant pain...it comes and goes. But she seems like she's having a harder time getting around. We'll see what the vet says today.

On an unrelated note (I think?), I just noticed she has some vaginal discharge. It's translucent, not goopy, but has a yellow tint. I've never seen this with her before, so I'll ask the vet about that, too.

And on another unrelated note, we slowly switched her to the EVO chicken/turkey kibble and she's had the worst gas she's ever had, and that's saying a lot! I guess we'll try the red meat formula. She was ok on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness chicken formula and her old Kirkland chicken food, so I think it must be the turkey that's not agreeing with her.

sig_border.jpg

:nod Turkey often causes "turkey toots" :blush

So very sorry to hear that Wonder had to leave us :cry1:grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I am very sorry to hear about Wonder. :(

Tiny is suddenly not doing so well. I've maxed out his pain meds and he's still holding his leg up off the ground so he won't accidentally put any weight on it. Every once in a while he yips. He's still eating and wagging his tail, so it's not time for him to go yet but I am concerned.

Riley is young and full of energy and can be a bit of a bull in a china shop. He sometimes bumps or pushes Tiny in his enthusiasm, and I worry that he'll hurt him. Tiny seems to think the same thing, and I notice he's keeping his distance from him.

Vet says he's maxed out at 100 mg Tramadol 2x daily, 50 mg Gabapentin 2x daily, and 1 1/4 tablet of 100 mg Rimadyl daily. I'm cheating and giving him 1 full 100 mg Rimadyl tablet 2x daily. Does that sound right? Vet says Tiny's down to around 73 lbs. and he shouldn't get anymore.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest racergirl435

This is from a couple days ago. The first time he got back in his chair since the surgery.

2643930630013527144S600x600Q85.jpg

Need to upload some of the snow pics from today! Dude loves the snow!

What a face! Oh my! :wub: How don't you melt every time you look at him? :)

Guest racergirl435

I am so sorry to say Wonder went to the Bridge at 5:00 pm today. The hard tumor on his shoulder grew to the size of a big grapefruit and his leg began swelling. If he was laying down it was twice the normal size and when he stood up it was three times. His foot was so big it looked like a bear claw. Nothing we tried worked. It was so hard for him to lay down and he would circle and circle on a bed many times and his legs would shake.

We upped the meds and he still panted while standing. Although he was still greeting us at the door, eating great, going outside was becoming more of a challenge but he even took that on. He began losing weight and his coat wasn't "right." There was something in his eyes that said "I love you but I need your help."

The vet came to the house at 4:45 with a nurse. Scott had a room prepared with new age spa music playing, candles lit and a place for him to lie down. The dogs were outside and when they came in Wonder went to a bed in the living room so that is where it was done.

I had told Scott last night that I hope she brings enough stuff because she will be stopping the heart of a lion. The nurse gave the first medicine and when the vet gave the final medicine, sure enough she had to give it twice.

I think my five year old granddaughter summed it up. She said, "Wonder's really going to be happy in heaven."

I was almost okay until I read the line your granddaughter said. Oh how my heart goes out to you. Wonder was fighter.

Jess

This is from a couple days ago. The first time he got back in his chair since the surgery.

Oh, I do!!! He's really adorable, if I do say so myself! :wub::wub::wub:

Jess, don't discount the value of warm compresses to help the excess fluids reabsorb. They can realy help. Dude seemed to like them, too, like they made him feel better. He didn't have a fluid build up, but he did have an extra surgery for his infection, so we might have skipped the fluid-build-up step. It might be worth seeing the ortho again if you can.

Greytnut - If Tiny has cancer I don't see how your vet can say he's reached a maximum dosage. There's no reason to not increase it if it will make him more comfortable. That's what's most important. Besides, that doesn't seem to me like very much pain meds according to what I remember reading here. Hugs for you and Tiny! Oh, and Dude definitely avoids the more rambunctious members of the household - they're just taking care of themselves.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you for the thoughts for Wonder. I thought I was doing okay until I came home at lunch and the first nose at the door was a cat and not Wonder. Then I saw the empty bed and just lost it. He was just here yesterday and every time I pass the bed I can picture him there. I miss him so much my heart is breaking. We love all our pups but he was so very special.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Guest racergirl435

I did the same thing after we lost Seymour. I really feel for you and am sending many hugs your way.

Jess

Guest snakes

I am very sorry to hear about Wonder. :(

Tiny is suddenly not doing so well. I've maxed out his pain meds and he's still holding his leg up off the ground so he won't accidentally put any weight on it. Every once in a while he yips. He's still eating and wagging his tail, so it's not time for him to go yet but I am concerned.

Riley is young and full of energy and can be a bit of a bull in a china shop. He sometimes bumps or pushes Tiny in his enthusiasm, and I worry that he'll hurt him. Tiny seems to think the same thing, and I notice he's keeping his distance from him.

Vet says he's maxed out at 100 mg Tramadol 2x daily, 50 mg Gabapentin 2x daily, and 1 1/4 tablet of 100 mg Rimadyl daily. I'm cheating and giving him 1 full 100 mg Rimadyl tablet 2x daily. Does that sound right? Vet says Tiny's down to around 73 lbs. and he shouldn't get anymore.

I am no vet and do not know the max doses, especially for Tiny's situation, but I can tell you that FedX is on 100mg Gabapentin twice a day and I seem to remember posts of people going much higher. Maybe that could be increased instead of the Rimadyl or Tramadol that can be hard on the other organs?

I am so sorry to read of Wonder's passing. This disease is just not fair as it takes too many pups. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest azlorenz

Thank you for the thoughts for Wonder. I thought I was doing okay until I came home at lunch and the first nose at the door was a cat and not Wonder. Then I saw the empty bed and just lost it. He was just here yesterday and every time I pass the bed I can picture him there. I miss him so much my heart is breaking. We love all our pups but he was so very special.

I know exactly how you feel. Day before yesterday I was in total meltdown because a song came on the radio ("somewhere over the rainbow"). Flash passed from osteo in November 2010 and took a piece of me with him. My heart breaks with yours for our boys. :grouphug

This is neylasmom signed in as Maureen in sandy paws.

Just wanted to say that I am very sad to hear about wonder's passing. :cry1

Also, agree about Tinys meds. You prob shouldn't increase the rimadyl, bit tramadol can be increased some and gab a can go up a lot. You can find max dosages per weight easily online, but for neylas at 55lbs it was approximately 125mg tram 3x/day and gabapentin was 500 mg 3x/day although neylasmom was woozy at 400.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

I haven't been on in awhile, have been off work all week with some kind of bronchitis-ey thing.

I'm so sad to hear about Wonder. :weep:brokenheart You are in my thoughts and prayers. :bighug :f_yellow

I'm sorry Lucy and Tiny are having some problems. Keeping them and their worried families in my thoughts and hope they're feeling better soon. :hope:candle:hope

Callie has been doing pretty well. I was home alone with her yesterday and was still sick. Instead of getting dressed and taking her out front to go potty, I let her out back (against my better judgement, I might add) and watched in horror as she promptly fell and rolled on her side and struggled to get back. I ran frantically ran outside (screaming a few choice words at myself :angryfire) in a long t-shirt and tried to calm her down. I was thinking the worse, that she broke one of her back legs. I actually was able to pick her up myself, but couldn't get enough momentum to carry her up the stairs to the deck (the walk is on a hill).

Once I got her inside and found out that she was alright, except for a small cut on one of her back feet (toes) and some mud on her hiney, did I breathe again. I'm sure if any of the neighbors saw (or heard) me, they'd think I'm quite mad (I'm sure they already do). :blush

Herman has said that he sometimes lets Callie go potty out back and she does greyt. He neglected to tell me that he's right by her side and she's on leash. I told him no more, please keep taking her out front. (the ground is level and doesn't have random holes from Pixie and Sam).

Anyway, Callie went to get her second chemo today. They did a blood test and brought her out to wait because they were full in the back. The oncologist came out and said that her WBC are too low (or right on the cusp or border <--can't remember the exact word), but she said she won't have chemo today. She said some may still do chemo, but she's a wimp and doesn't want Callie to get sick. (does that make sense?) She said we can wait a week and do it next Friday. She said that since her WBC are obviously sensitive to the chemo, she's hoping the cancer is too. (I hope that makes sense, I didn't write it down when she told me!) She said that from now on Callie will get the chemo every 4 weeks. (I hate to wait that long in between, but she knows better than I. :rolleyes: )

I also asked about her weight and she actually GAINED a pound since she was there 3 weeks ago. She is almost up to 56.

Her actual birthday was Monday and being sick, I missed it. Herman's birthday was yesterday, but we're celebrating it next Friday night at our house so she'll have a second party. :lol (she also celebrated a couple weeks ago at my bd dinner at my brother's house) That's alright, she deserves it and now Pixie, Sam and Kitten can join in.

Callie says Dude has bedroom eyes (she learned that expression from her grandma). :wub:

Edited by brindlebaby

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Callie's fall must have been so scary for you - I am so glad she was ok. And I think it's good that your oncologist is choosing to be more cautious by putting the chemo off for a week.

We are hanging in here but things aren't great. Lucy still has a lot of seroma and bruising. No infection - the vet sampled some of the fluid and didn't find any bacteria. Her WBC came up since day 7 post chemo, but her platelets dropped a lot and are around 70...whatever that unit is. They were 150 a week prior. The vet thinks that's the cause of all of the bruising. We're doing a recheck on the platelets on Tuesday. If they're still down, we will probably have to cancel the second chemo dose, scheduled for Friday.

Aside from that, though, she's just...blah. Not in pain, I don't think, but just totally uninterested in anything. She lays in her bed all day. She barely gets up. Even though she's hungry, it takes a lot of coaxing to get her to get up and come into the kitchen to eat. She walks VERY slowly. She lays in my office, alone, quite a bit, while my husband and I are in the next room where she has two comfy beds. She no longer shows any interest in trying the stairs. I am so happy to read about how Dude and James and other pups are so happy and back to themselves shortly after surgery, but it makes me worry because Lucy is not. She was a very active, bouncy, girl and I thought she'd do great as a tripod, but we're at one month post-amp and she's not. I'm trying to stay optimistic - I keep thinking she'll adjust - but right now, I am feeling like this was not the right decision. Yes, we've given her more time, but what's the point if her whole existence is spent laying in her bed? She doesn't do any of the things that made her happy. We try to engage her, to encourage her, without any response. And it's not her fault...I'm not upset with her because she's not herself, I just feel awful that maybe this wasn't the right thing to do, maybe it's not what she would have chosen for herself had she been able to (does that make sense?). :(

sig_border.jpg

Hang in there, RedFawnMom (and sweet Lucy). If she has a lot of seroma, it probably doesn't feel real good. Once that's down and the issue with her platelets is resolved, I'm betting she'll perk up again. Sending hugs.