Steak Had A Seizure.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I'm absolutely no help here except to say I'm keeping Steak in my prayers ongoing. You know I have a permanent crush on the lad :blush

Dione Garnand and, of course Judy, are my two best go-to people for seizure experience. I'll be following the thread and hope that Steak can be stabilized and live a long happy life. He's such a special boy... hugs to you!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonathan, I hope he doesn't get that bad :(

Thank you Judy. We go in today at 4pm. What do they need to do? Draw blood? Schedule and MRI?

No need for the MRI right now. Have them draw blood and among the things to look for, check the thyroid and check him for diabetes. Both of those conditions can cause seizures. If he's clear on all the blood work I'd start the medication right away. I don't remember how old Steak is, but if he's 7 or older, then I would consider an MRI. If he's between 3 and 6 years of age, he's right in the age bracket where most dogs with seizure disorders develop them.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I will to echo some of what has been said already. Seizures can be frightening for all but many dogs can live happy lives despite this. Good that you will discuss medication with your vet. Yes the tanking up on water happens with many dogs after & some before. After makes sense. Before is a mystery to me. Stress can cause seizures. However, some became anxious before a seizure. Perhaps they feel it coming on. Current thinking is that each seizure lowers the threshold for the next seizure. Also discuss diagnostics. Initially you want s Super-chem & CBC plus at least a Snap 4DX. You want the 4DX so it includes anaplasmosis. Those results may then point to further testing. Possibilities include more comprehensive TBD panel ACTH stim test, thyroid, parathyroid, bile acids. There are likely more I am missing. In the end you may find no cause.

Be careful of the possibility of getting accidentally bitten or whacked & injured by a mouthful of teeth. A seizing, thrashing & later confused dog can cause unintentional damage to not only himself but those trying to help him. Most pet owners accept that risk & rightfully try to protect & comfort their seizong dog as much as possible. I would not like a child do not. Think of a plan for how a youngster can take action in case of seizure without risking injury. "Get Mom or Dad." whatever works for you. Just practice caution.

My sisters dog started with seizures as a puppy. They increased for a time to the point it was time for medication but she resisted that. She experimented & found at least some of the likely triggers. She reduced or eliminated them as much as possible without getting crazy about it. This got things under control & kept it that way for several years. Eventually things progressed, they went through a rough patch as meds were being adjusted. All good for years. Then more med tinkering. Through that he still had occasional breakthrough cluster seizures but lead a happy, full life. He lived to 10+ & died of unrelated causes. He was also a most excellent pet. A total goober, dork & a loving, lovable guy.

Most of all I hope this cycle is over for Steak & does not return at least for quite a while.

He will be 6 in August.

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.

I hadn't thought about Diabetes... hmmm. I did do what you told me last time. I gave him a few spoon fulls of peanut butter after the seizure. He was almost ravenously hungry.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Regardless of whether your vet wants to start preventative meds (like pheno) right away or whatever, please ask for an emergency supply of valium to keep on hand to stop cluster seizures. The weather may be bad again shortly in your area (I think). If you get stuck at home with no way to reach an e-vet, you could need the valium, especially since I think you said Steak previously may have had more than one episode in a 24-hour period. The deal worked out with my vet is that I watch and make notes about a "first" episode; if the episode repeats in 24 hours, I give her the valium. If it repeats again, I head for the e-vet.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

He will be 6 in August.

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.

I hadn't thought about Diabetes... hmmm. I did do what you told me last time. I gave him a few spoon fulls of peanut butter after the seizure. He was almost ravenously hungry.

That's not uncommon. The energy expended during a seizure is unbelievable. The muscles are getting such a work out, I compare it to someone running a marathon. These dogs are also extremely tired. My son has to sleep for at least 2 hours after having a seizure because his are that bad. The reason for my suggestion of starting him on meds right away is because his seizures are coming closer together and not farther apart. The suggestion of keeping valium in the house is a good one. I keep it here for Saint also. I've had to throw it away because we didn't use it before it expired but I like the peace of mind I get from having it here.

As someone else mentioned, checking for TBD's is a good idea. From what I understand, those also can cause seizures. None of my hounds have ever had a TBD so I'm not well versed in them.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Beth, just more good wishes for Steak.

Do you think if he were seizing when you're gone, you'd know? You're very observant of your pups and I would guess from your descriptions that he's have dried saliva/foam on his face. I'm guessing you would so hopefully he's only had the ones you know of.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Piper, whose seizures began when he was about 2 (he's now almost 10), is always hungry after an seizure and getting a small meal actually helps him settle after a seizure. When he clusters his usual pattern is a seizure about every 3 hours for 24 -36 hours. It is absolutely grueling for him and for me and leaves him exhausted. He expends so much sheer muscular energy in the seizures that he visibly lost weight during his first cluster episode.

Odds and ends of things that have might be worth exploring:

-- I baby gate all the dogs into the bedroom with me at night, primarily so that Piper can't wander out of the bedroom and start seizing in another room. I don't want to risk not hearing him.

-- All dogs are different but for dogs who cluster (a cluster is usually defined as more than one seizure in 24 hour period) the combination of Phenobarbital (Pb) and Potassium Bromide (KBr) has the reputation of helping more than either med alone. There may be newer drugs available now but theses 2 were the go-to meds. For Piper, Pb made his seizures a bit milder (still grande mal, now generally called tonic-clonic seizures, but milder) while KBr seemed to put more space between seizure episodes. He was having clusters about twice a week and now he often goes 10 weeks or more without a seizure and often has just one seizure instead of always clustering. Worth talking with the vet about.

-- I've used rectal Valium for Piper in the past. After much reading and back and forthing with my vet and the neurologist he consulted this is what I learned: Rectal Valium is great for dogs who have multiple seizures within 30-45 minutes or less. Rectal Valium gets in the system fast but it also leaves fast. So it wasn't really the best option for Piper, whose seizures have, all but once, come at least 3 hours apart. We needed a longer acting drug. What has made a huge difference for his is to give him 1 1/2 grains of Pb and 10 mg of oral (pill) valium right after each seizure and then again every 6 hours until he has bee 24 hours seizure free. These meds are on top of his regular meds. Since starting this protocol he has not had a cluster episode and that has been nearly 2 years now. He always always had at least one cluster episode each summer so missing that this is a really huge success. So, if Steak's seizures are not close together consider having the rectal valium on hand for emergencies but look also at something more long lasting to try to break the clusters.

-- The really great web sites for canine epilepsy:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/ This one also has an email list that can be helpful.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/

-- Every dog is different so be ready to try various approaches to see what works for Steak. Also, it usually takes time to get the medication doses regulated optimally. Stick with it. You are looking for a manageable balance between side effects and seizures. Sometimes you can indeed stop seizures from ever happening again and sometimes the best you can get is better control.

--Medication cost vary dramatically. Shop around for the best prices. The web sites usually have a current listing of good pharmacies. Particularly for rectal valium. If you get it somewhere that is used to filling this veterinary prescription it is easy and not terribly expensive. On the other hand, I thought the pharmacist at the local Eckerd was going to have a heart attack when I talked to him about getting it there...then I thought I was going to croak when he told me it would cost $200. :eek

Sending the very best wishes and hopes for Steak and for you as you manage this.

Lucy and Piper (12 days seizure free)

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

No advice. Just thinking good thoughts for Steak and for you, hoping that your vets can get this under control quickly for his happiness and your peace of mind. :bighug

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Didn't go to the vet today. The vets office needed to close since we are having such bad weather and they called and asked if I could wait since Steak isn't in a crisis right now. They said they will get him in tomorrow if the weather holds up. It is supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow morning. School has already cancelled (4th day in a row).

Sorry to hear that Steak had another seizure :( I would echo as others have said - have a FULL thyroid panel done and ask about testing for diabetes and TBDs. It would be great if all of this could be fixed with some thyroid meds (the small seizures that Ace had were caused by a thyroid issue). Given that his seizures have been pretty violent, I don't know how realistic it would be to suspect a thyroid issue, but, I suppose every dog can be affected by hypothyroidism differently.

In any case, I hope the vet is able to get Steak onto a course of treatment that will help him. I know there's a lot of trial and error involved, but sometimes only minor adjustments to the starting point are needed to achieve good control, so I hope you'll be one of those "lucky" ones :goodluck

One thing that the chiro told me when Ace had her issues - they can also have seizures caused by the occiput being out of place...maybe have him adjusted too?

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Big hugs to you and Steak.....hope you can get to see the vet and find something to help!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Prayers for Steak!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm just seeing this. Don't have any better advice than the knowledgeable info already offered, but I know how scary and upsetting it is to see your pet going through something so out of control. I've had 3 cats and 1 dog with seizures, from petite mal to grand mal, occasional to cluster requiring daily medication. And it was ALWAYS so stressful.

Poor Steak. And damn that weather.

Sending prayers that you can find some answers and he'll be okay.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm sorry Steak is having more seizures. sad.gif I know how much it sucks.

-- The really great web sites for canine epilepsy:

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/ This one also has an email list that can be helpful.

I'm on this email list and I always recommend it to people whose dogs have seizures. I have learned so much more about seizures and treatments from this list than I would have from the various websites alone. You hear firsthand from owners and their experiences with medications, treatments, diets, etc.....what they've found to work and maybe things you wouldn't even think to try.

On a different note.......one of our whippets, Zuma, seems to sense when one of Phaelin's seizures is coming on and will bark to let me know that he's going to seize. I call her his seizure alert dog. wink.gif Corny, I know, but I do think dogs can sense when something is wrong/going on with one of the other dogs in their pack, so it makes sense that your other dogs know something's going on with Steak before you know.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Any update today, Beth? Were you able to take him to the vet? I know the weather down there is still not great - hope you're all doing alright :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest wmlcml6

I didn't know Steak was still having seizures. :-( I hope the vet can get on top of what is causing them, or at least treat him so they can be controlled. Poor guy. It is distressing to hear one of our former racers has health issues when they should be enjoying retirement, but I know you well enough to know you will do whatever it takes to make him better. :-(

Any updates on Steakers?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Cathie, I should have called you :( I'm sorry.

Steak is doing well and is his normal, goofy self right now. We are going to the vet Monday. The ice on the roads have started to melt and the vet and I have talked twice now. He feels comfortable, as do I to just go in on Monday for blood work. He said depending on that we will decide on a course of management together.

I appreciate all the advice and support from here. I will update you when we go Monday. :)

:goodluck for an uneventful weekend for Steak :)