Steak Had A Seizure.

Guest EmbersDad

hero seizes and is being treated with phenobarbitol. his symptoms started not unlike yours. had a seizure and then nothing for months, then 3 grand mals in one day. the urination is typical. my vet wrote me a perscription for rectal valium as it will stop a seizure. the pheno has been working fine so far.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HappyHarleysMom

I'm just catching up and found this thread. Holding positive thoughts that Steak continues on the upswing from this latest seizure.

No advice for you, but you and Steak are in my prayers.

I'm just getting a chance to read through this whole thread as well. I sure hope Steak is doing well and you are able to find out what works for him. I read once about someone who put skype on her dogs while she was gone so she could check in. I don't know if that is an option for you but I just thought I would mention it. Best of luck!

*scritches* for steak

bighug.giffor you

Edited by KingsMom
gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

Beth, hope the vet visit goes well today. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Not a lot of news but the vet feels we should start pheno. He drew blood and the results should be back by Wednesday. If everything checks out than we start the pheno.

He said he would only want to do an MRI if we start seeing behavioral changes or if he starts acting differently before or after a seizure.

Thanks for sticking with me and hopefully this helps my big guy out. :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Hi, just seeing this. The seizures, the tanking up and urinating a lot could be the pituitary tumor form of Cushing's, especially if the urine is concentrated and voluminous. This happened to a friend's 6 year old greyhound. He peed and peed and peed and it was always concentrated. He never moved to seizures but it was imminent. You wouldn't need an MRI to confirm Cushings. Is he still peeing a lot?

If the urine is not concentrated it could be glomerularnephritis, Atypical Cushings or who knows what else. Also, when I'm in in doubt I check for tick diseases.

I'm not a vet but I have had dogs with these things so they came to mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, didn't really want to have to update but here we are again. Steak had another seizure at 1:30 in the morning. :( Another Gran Mal. We went to the vet at 4pm and he wants to keep Steak on the phenobarb a little longer. If we see another seizure than we start entertaining the idea of either upping the dose or just adding in potassium bromide. (I think that is what he called it).

Steak of course was his lovable, goofy self with the vet. Dr Staph kept saying, "he is such a cool dog, I see why you care about him so much". :)

I'm sorry Steak had another seizure. It gets if not easier at least a little less terrifying with time and the experience of them. Still, I always hope that somehow they'll stop happening for Piper.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Hopefully raising his medication level will help. Saint maxed out on pheno and was still seizing and had to be put on a combination of pheno an Potassium Bromide and that stopped his seizures. Keeping Steak in my thoughts and prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thanks Judy. I told the vet about Saint today :) He told me that I was getting excellent advice. He also joked that he was gonna have to put you on the payroll if I kept coming in already knowing what to do :lol

Thanks Judy. I told the vet about Saint today :) He told me that I was getting excellent advice. He also joked that he was gonna have to put you on the payroll if I kept coming in already knowing what to do :lol

Nah, just tell him to donate to GT :lol . Fingers crossed for Steak.

That funny!:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

:( Sorry to hear Steak had another seizure...glad to hear that he's still feeling well otherwise though :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--