Steak Had A Seizure.

It was raining and sleeting this morning here. As usual, Steak retreats to the bathroom as he doesn't like the rain. We heard some noise like pipes rattling and when my husband went in the bathroom Steak was rigid and his head and neck were stretched back, he was foaming at the mouth and drooling, and his teeth were gritted so tight. He seemed to be trying to get up but was mostly thrashing about so we just kind of held him so that he wasn't banging against the toilet and the wall. When it was over (which was all of about 2 minutes maybe) he laid there and was breathing very heavy and then urinated on himself :(

I remember my husband making a comment that he "peed like a racehorse" early this morning and then this afternoon he also went out and seemed to urinate a lot more than usual. Could this be related at all? Am I missing something?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about the urinary connection....but wishing you the best and hoping that Steak is OK. Though, not surprised that he urinated right after the seizure.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

About a year ago I thought he had a small seizure and took him to the vet, we sort of let it go because it never happened again. That time he just laid in the bathroom and shook, he wouldn't react when I called his name and he wouldn't follow me with his head. I thought he was just scared as it was raining at that time as well.

Could he have just gotten so scared he went into a seizure? I do have some Xanax that the vet prescribed for thunderstorms but haven't used it but one time.

I would check with the vet on the xanax as there might be something better for seizures. But I have been told that stress can cause them.

Also, when my bridge boy Jack was battling a sleep disorder that we thought was possibly seizures, the vet at Tufts, Dr. Doddman, recommended Huperazine-A. It is a natural homeopathic drug that is used for alzheimers in humans - but is showing some benefit in dogs w/seizures.

How scary. Like I said, I don't know anything about urinary volume and a connection - but releasing his urine right after would not be surprising. Also, expect extreme exhaustion after. The fact that he had one before when it was raining, does indicate some stress trigger.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest lanielovesgreys

How scary. :( I think if it were me, I'd give him the xanax before the storms from here on out. You know, not giving him the chance to get in that state again. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the seizure. But anyway. My two cents. I hope it doesn't happen again for a very long time. I'm sorry!

Thank you, I'll check with my vet tomorrow. Like I said, he is ok right now. Just resting on the couch.

The rain is a stressor for him :( Always has been. Even before it rains we can tell it's coming because Steak will act different and retreat to the bathroom. I just feel bad that I didn't realize he was more scared today.

Guest bethac

Hi Beth - maybe send a PM to Judy (Jillysfullhouse) because her dog, Saint, has seizures and so she is experienced with them.

That said, I'm so sorry to hear about Steak. That must have been terrifying. Poor guy, and poor you! :(

Keep us posted on what you find out. Sending prayers your way.

Its good that you cushioned him to keep him from banging himself against the wall and toilet. I have never heard of being scared into a seizure. Seizures are abnormal electrical firing in the brain that can be caused by any number of things from lesions in the brain, tumors, small injuries that may not show any symptoms after the initial injury, and can also be caused by metabolic imbalances. Xanax is not for seizures and I would not use it even as a calming agent for storms. Time for a good checkup by the vet. A seizure once a year is managable and you may want to consider putting him on seizure meds. That is something to be discussed with your vet If the seizures are self limiting to a very few minutes or less, we let them run their coarse, keeping patient safety in mind, and only give them valium if the seizure doesn't break on its own. Bear in mind that there is a postictal stage after a seizure where your pup may be confused, anxious, ataxic/wobbley on his feet or very groggy. It can last from a few minutes to a few hours. Here again, safety is your priority. Call me if you want to chat. Kiss Steak on that beautiful face.

YEP, agree with above! Judy would be a good source.

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

No advice, just lots of hugs for yourself and scritchies for your handsome Steak.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lesley - he was very confused and upset after wards. Once he could stand up he paced and paced. I took him outside and he walked in circles for about 10 minutes. And he just seemed so upset and scared. Even cowering away from me when I went to touch him. :( He isn't doing that right now, he is sleeping soundly and is back to his cuddly self.

Could the injury on Monday have anything to do with it? He got stitches for a neck wound and has already scratched them all out :( But the wound is clean and so I am just keeping it clean. Could that have anything to do with it? I thought I smelled infection yesterday so took Steak into the shower and washed the wound out really well but it looked really clean, no scab, no oozing, no nothing.

I'll take him in tomorrow as I don't think it's an evet emergency...

It sounds like a grand mal seizure Beth. It's quite common for dogs having grand mal seizures to lose control of their bowels and bladder. Stress can definitely bring on a seizure. I know he feels more secure in the bathroom but he can really hurt himself having a seizure in there because he will bang his head on the tub, toilet and tile and could really hurt himself. Does he like a crate? If so, you might think about putting him in there with some padding so he won't hurt himself. I padded Saint's crate to prevent him from hurting himself during seizures. The problem is you don't really know if it was the storm or if he's been having them while you're away. I'd have the vet give him a good checkup.

The next time he has one, once he comes out of it, give him something sweet, ice cream, peanut butter anything with a little sugar. It will bring his blood sugar back up because it will drop during the seizure. Also let him pace and pant all he wants, it cools him off because his temperature will rise too. He may be a little sore tomorrow. Saint always is because of the muscle contractions.

If I can help in any way, let me know.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thanks Judy, he does like the crate. We have it set up for Ivy at night but I can easily put Steak in there during rain storms. The bathroom he likes is only a half bath so no tub but there is tile and a toilet. I have a large bed in there too but will move him now.

I actually think maybe he had one yesterday now that I think about it more. I wasn't home but last night when I got him in the shower the whole side of his face and neck were wet. I thought maybe someone had been licking him or something. His tag collar was all slimy too. Today after the seizure he had the drool and foam all down the same side of his face and neck so it makes me wonder if he had one yesterday while I was away :(

I may have to start crating him during the day or xpen him in the kitchen now :( Poor guy.

It sounds like a grand mal seizure Beth. It's quite common for dogs having grand mal seizures to lose control of their bowels and bladder. Stress can definitely bring on a seizure. I know he feels more secure in the bathroom but he can really hurt himself having a seizure in there because he will bang his head on the tub, toilet and tile and could really hurt himself. Does he like a crate? If so, you might think about putting him in there with some padding so he won't hurt himself. I padded Saint's crate to prevent him from hurting himself during seizures. The problem is you don't really know if it was the storm or if he's been having them while you're away. I'd have the vet give him a good checkup.

The next time he has one, once he comes out of it, give him something sweet, ice cream, peanut butter anything with a little sugar. It will bring his blood sugar back up because it will drop during the seizure. Also let him pace and pant all he wants, it cools him off because his temperature will rise too. He may be a little sore tomorrow. Saint always is because of the muscle contractions.

If I can help in any way, let me know.

I dont think it would be from the neck wound. Glad to see that you have stepped in Judy. Nothing better than the voice of experience.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

It's best to confine him for his own safety. Your other dogs may attack him. It's normal behavior for dogs. Mine went after Saint twice when he had two seizures during the day, which was not his normal pattern. Until you know for sure how your others will react, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Poor Steak! That really stinks ... :-(

Both my Staggerlee and Cari, GET VERY upset with weather events! Staggerlee, 10.5, pants so hard, and his tongue turns bluish (*showing he isn't getting enough oxygen).!

I, too, think seizures can be triggered by stress. Judy's advice, AS ALWAYS, is THE BEST! :-)) She knows about seizures!

I would maybe talk to your vet about getting some oral Valium, and when you know weather is coming, give him one about 45 mins to one hour prior. Will help with the stress and the seizure activity, as well.

Also, it is good to have RECTAL Valium on hand, which is either liquid, drawn up into a syringe (*no needle of course) or suppositories, which can be given to help stop a bad seizure or cluster of them.

Sending love and hugs your way! Hoping for NO MORE seizures for your Steak!! I LOVE THAT NAME ... btw! :-))

Guest Energy11

Poor guy, hope they stop for him :(

At what point should one consider taking your grey to the e-vet, after a seizure?

I would say, ... if the seizures are "clustering" ... meaning coming close together. OR, if they are continuous ... NOT good there! That is one reason why it is a good idea, with seizure dogs, OR PEOPLE, to have a form or rectal valium on hand. Stops, or can slow, cluster or continuous seizures. With these types of seizures, though... a vet or, doctor (human) needs to be seen, as sometimes, a Phenobarbitol IV drip is needed to stop the seizures.

Its good that you cushioned him to keep him from banging himself against the wall and toilet. I have never heard of being scared into a seizure. Seizures are abnormal electrical firing in the brain that can be caused by any number of things from lesions in the brain, tumors, small injuries that may not show any symptoms after the initial injury, and can also be caused by metabolic imbalances. Xanax is not for seizures and I would not use it even as a calming agent for storms. Time for a good checkup by the vet. A seizure once a year is managable and you may want to consider putting him on seizure meds. That is something to be discussed with your vet If the seizures are self limiting to a very few minutes or less, we let them run their coarse, keeping patient safety in mind, and only give them valium if the seizure doesn't break on its own. Bear in mind that there is a postictal stage after a seizure where your pup may be confused, anxious, ataxic/wobbley on his feet or very groggy. It can last from a few minutes to a few hours. Here again, safety is your priority. Call me if you want to chat. Kiss Steak on that beautiful face.

I actually saw a report from the UK some months ago about using xanax for seizure control. And it is commonly used for thunderphobia as it is relatively quick acting and does't need weeks to build up effectiveness. Stress can indeed bring on seizure activity.

Most vets do not recommend medication for seizure activity of less than one in a 4-6 week period (with no clusters). If he clusters (more than one seizure in a 24 hour period) then medication is warranted even with a long time in between.

As far as the peeing goes, my seizure GH always needed to go out right after one and would pee for a long time - not sure what the physical reason for this is, but it seems to be a common post-seizure occurence. I wish I had known about giving my girl something to bring her bloodsugar up afterwards. She was always ravenous the day of her seizures.

I think it's LinsaySF who padded her dog's crate with baby crib bumpers and it works very well. That could also be a solution for your bathroom if he really needs to be in there during storms.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm sorry you and Steak are having to go through this. :( They truly suck.

You can check out Canine-Epilepsy.com for lots of good information about seizures.

I also wanted to add that one way I've found that Phaelin had a seizure when I wasn't around was the residue he left (from the foaming at the mouth) had an irridescent sheen to it.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I actually saw a report from the UK some months ago about using xanax for seizure control. And it is commonly used for thunderphobia as it is relatively quick acting and does't need weeks to build up effectiveness. Stress can indeed bring on seizure activity.

Most vets do not recommend medication for seizure activity of less than one in a 4-6 week period (with no clusters). If he clusters (more than one seizure in a 24 hour period) then medication is warranted even with a long time in between.

As far as the peeing goes, my seizure GH always needed to go out right after one and would pee for a long time - not sure what the physical reason for this is, but it seems to be a common post-seizure occurence. I wish I had known about giving my girl something to bring her bloodsugar up afterwards. She was always ravenous the day of her seizures.

I think it's LinsaySF who padded her dog's crate with baby crib bumpers and it works very well. That could also be a solution for your bathroom if he really needs to be in there during storms.

Good luck.

I padded Saint's crate with baby crib bumper pads, two sets, one on top of the other so that there was padding half way up the crate. Worked like a charm.

Sending good thoughts for your boy!! I am not experienced with seizures in greys, but the experts have already stepped in :)

From a human-seizure perspective, though, it seems that extreme stress alone can trigger them. My mom has had seizures off-on for decades. She didn't have them when she was little - they started when she was older and started to carry progressively more responsibilities. Her psychiatrist and neurologist teamed up to try to pinpoint the cause (i.e., chemical, genetics, etc.), and concluded that she could effectively stress herself into having seizures if her anxiety got bad enough. It makes a lot of sense looking back at times when she would have a seizure every few days - there was always a major external component that triggered major anxiety, and then the seizures. Maybe that's something that happened here? Was it storming when you thought he had one awhile back? (sorry if this was already addressed.. my brain isn't firing on all cylinders today :blush )

:goodluck:grouphug

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry to hear that Steak had a seizure. Sophie has epilepsy (she seizes 1-3 times per month) so I know how you feel right now. :grouphug

If you think he had one yesterday as well, I would have the vet look at him. Usually if the seizures are few and far between the vet won't bother to medicate. But having seizures 2 days in a row is more like a cluster, and I would see if the vet wants to start him on some meds.

Definitely separate him from your other dogs when no one is home.

Stress is a big trigger for seizure activity. Don't beat yourself up though, because it is impossible to remove 100% of stress from a dog's life. You can try valium or xanax during storms if that is a major stressor for him. But I know with Sophie, she would have stress-induced seizures far more often when she was on a low level of anti-seizure meds, compared to now. We have guests over, do lots of M&G's, etc, and they don't stress her into a seizure anymore like they used to when her seizure threshold was lower.

Best of luck.

ETA: I got the crib bumper idea for the crate from seeing JillysFullHouse's pictures. Works well!

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF