Queen Aggie (Desperado)

racindog

I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful senior life you gave her!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

What your Aggie had to say two weeks ago speaks volumes to the kind of girl she was. I know you are sad but she decided and now she's young and healthy again...Godspeed sweet girl.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

What a wonderful life she had, with the person who understood her best.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Aggie.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so very sorry to hear of Aggie's passing :( :( :(

she was so proud to wear that crown at this year's Bluegrass! What a beautiful loving girl she was.

sending many hugs. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest AussieLover

Well I know there is not much of anything that can be said to take away the pain of Losing a Pet.. It's amazing how such a simple creature (emphasis on simple when speaking of Greyhounds) can truly touch your soul. I think I found this buried in the yard near the trailer..

I, AGGIE DESPERADO (familiarly known to my family, friends, and acquaintances as Queen Aggie or just plain old Aggie), because the burden of my years and infirmities is heavy upon me, and I realize the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my last will and testament in the mind of my Master. She will not know it is there until after I am gone. Then, remembering me in her loneliness, she will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask her then to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great importance upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to she who loved me, who I know will mourn me most.

I ask my her to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy and happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause her pain. Let her remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and this I owe to her love and care for me), now that I have grown old and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having over-lingered my welcome. It is time I said good-bye, before I become too sick a burden on myself and on those who love me. It will be sorrow to leave them, but not a sorrow to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What may come after death, who knows? I would like to believe with those my fellow Greyhounds, that there is a Paradise where one is always young and full-bladdered; where all the day one dillies and dallies with an amorous multitude of houris [lovely nymphs]; where jack rabbits that run fast but not too fast (like the houris) are as the sands of the desert; where each blissful hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are a million fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and blinks into the flames and nods and dreams, remembering the old brave days on earth, and the love of one's Master.

I am afraid this is too much for even such a dog as I am to expect. But peace, at least, is certain. Peace and long rest for weary old heart and head and limbs, and eternal sleep in the earth I have loved so well. Perhaps, after all, this is best.

One last request I earnestly make. Now I would ask her, for love of me, to rescue another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to give another the pleasure and love you have given me. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a Greyhound! I have never had a narrow jealous spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good. Some dogs, of course, are better than others. Greyhounds, naturally, as everyone knows, are best. So I suggest a Greyhound as my successor. She can hardly be as well bred or as well mannered or as distinguished and pretty as I was in my prime. My Master must not ask the impossible. But she will do her best, I am sure, and even her inevitable defects will help by comparison to keep my memory green. To her I bequeath my collar and leash and my boots and muzzle. She can never wear them with the distinction I did, , all eyes fixed on me in admiration; but again I am sure she will do her utmost not to appear a mere a mere common dog. Here on the farm, she may prove herself quite worthy of comparison, in some respects. She will, I presume, come closer to jack rabbits than I have been able to in recent years.

And for all her faults, I hereby wish her the happiness I know will be hers in my old home.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourself with regret but also with happiness in your heart at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loved me and whom I loved". No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.

I love you Ma,

Goat Boy!!

Well I know there is not much of anything that can be said to take away the pain of Losing a Pet.. It's amazing how such a simple creature (emphasis on simple when speaking of Greyhounds) can truly touch your soul. I think I found this buried in the yard near the trailer..

I, AGGIE DESPERADO (familiarly known to my family, friends, and acquaintances as Queen Aggie or just plain old Aggie), because the burden of my years and infirmities is heavy upon me, and I realize the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my last will and testament in the mind of my Master. She will not know it is there until after I am gone. Then, remembering me in her loneliness, she will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask her then to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great importance upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to she who loved me, who I know will mourn me most.

I ask my her to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy and happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause her pain. Let her remember that while no dog has ever had a happier life (and this I owe to her love and care for me), now that I have grown old and lame, and even my sense of smell fails me so that a rabbit could be right under my nose and I might not know, my pride has sunk to a sick, bewildered humiliation. I feel life is taunting me with having over-lingered my welcome. It is time I said good-bye, before I become too sick a burden on myself and on those who love me. It will be sorrow to leave them, but not a sorrow to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What may come after death, who knows? I would like to believe with those my fellow Greyhounds, that there is a Paradise where one is always young and full-bladdered; where all the day one dillies and dallies with an amorous multitude of houris [lovely nymphs]; where jack rabbits that run fast but not too fast (like the houris) are as the sands of the desert; where each blissful hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are a million fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and blinks into the flames and nods and dreams, remembering the old brave days on earth, and the love of one's Master.

I am afraid this is too much for even such a dog as I am to expect. But peace, at least, is certain. Peace and long rest for weary old heart and head and limbs, and eternal sleep in the earth I have loved so well. Perhaps, after all, this is best.

One last request I earnestly make. Now I would ask her, for love of me, to rescue another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to give another the pleasure and love you have given me. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a Greyhound! I have never had a narrow jealous spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good. Some dogs, of course, are better than others. Greyhounds, naturally, as everyone knows, are best. So I suggest a Greyhound as my successor. She can hardly be as well bred or as well mannered or as distinguished and pretty as I was in my prime. My Master must not ask the impossible. But she will do her best, I am sure, and even her inevitable defects will help by comparison to keep my memory green. To her I bequeath my collar and leash and my boots and muzzle. She can never wear them with the distinction I did, , all eyes fixed on me in admiration; but again I am sure she will do her utmost not to appear a mere a mere common dog. Here on the farm, she may prove herself quite worthy of comparison, in some respects. She will, I presume, come closer to jack rabbits than I have been able to in recent years.

And for all her faults, I hereby wish her the happiness I know will be hers in my old home.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourself with regret but also with happiness in your heart at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loved me and whom I loved". No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.

I love you Ma,

Goat Boy!!

wow...I'm typing this through tears. Aggie used you...let me explain.

I didn't put it in her tribute but on the way to the vet she told me to give what I would have given her to Momma-a broodie I am fostering-so Momma could have what she Aggie had enjoyed these last years. That's just the way Aggie was- ALWAYS thinking of others and loving and trying to do for others. Even in such a situation she was not thinking of herself.

Yesterday I was thinking about possible memorials and what she had said kept being foremost on my mind. I realized that the most fitting, the thing Aggie would like best, would be for me to always be mom to a fellow broodie. Aggie was a proponent of adopting seniors! I knew that would be the only fitting memorial-a living memorial that still channelled Aggie's love to others. Then this AM I read this which you shared in your post:

One last request I earnestly make. Now I would ask her, for love of me, to rescue another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to give another the pleasure and love you have given me. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me in the family, now she cannot live without a broodie!

The last word was changed by Aggie. There's no question in my mind she used you to get this message to me and confirm what she had told me earlier-and appove of her living memorial in which her love will continue to bless me through every broodie that comes and honors her memory. And just as important everything I do to help the new broodies will really be a tangible expression of my eternal love for my Queen, Aggie. The first living memorial to honor Aggie is of course my former foster Momma Seabird.

I can't say more right now. I never cease to be amazed at how their love is so strong that even death cannot take it away from us-how they so often can somehow continue to love, direct, and be a part of our lives even after they cross over. This broodie living memorial thing is Aggie's idea and it will spread love to me , the "memorial" broodie, and between Aggie & me- spreading love and sharing love- just like she talked about in her message she gave in post #1 shortly before she left. And she made it happen from the other side! Right now I feel her love so intensely....I know she is OK and happy and all is well.:beatheart