Queen Aggie (Desperado)

racindog

Aggie20081.jpg

aggieshamrock.jpg

Queen Aggie (Aggie Desperado) crossed over this morning while I was loving on her and telling her how wonderful she was. It was time. Her poor old body just "quit working" to use her words in so many ways and now thankfully her struggle and pain is over. But it had served her well. Her dad was Rapido Rambo. He won an "Iron Dog" competition and she inherited his toughness. Her mom was Nikki's Nickel. Aggie began her career in 1997 at Lincoln Park by winning her maiden race! She never looked back and retired 3 years later as a AA racer with 112 races, 18 wins, 14 places,17 shows & 11 fourths. In 1998 she was in the money more than half of her races at this tough competitive track. She ran her toughest races in 1999 and reached AA. Her fastest time was 30.48. She raced with the Fredericks kennel and her trainer was Angelo Marchione(who has also passed on). He was devoted to all the hounds in his care, his kennel was immaculate and his greys came first. She raced at 54 lbs. and was a fast breaker-usually first out of the box and tended to take the turns wide but was very determined.

In her career on the farm as a brood mom for the next several years Greyhound Data lists her as having 30 offspring. A few have even found forever homes!

She entered Shamrock Foundation Greyhound Placement in 2007 at 11 years of age-the oldest of six other hounds with her. They were known as the Second Chance Seven. I was her foster Mom, briefly. I panicked at the thought of her going to a different "forever home" and adopted her myself before anybody else could get her! She is such a lovely lady.

A year after her adoption she was asked for a newsletter if there was anything she wanted to say. The first thing she said was to tell everyone thanks for rescuing her. She said she didn't know this kind of world existed for a greyhound. She also wanted to say "Adopt old dogs!". She thoroughly enjoyed her retirement. She visibly enjoyed a roll on the lawn or resting on her sofa-things other dogs often take for granted. I always marveled at her athleticism. Even in old age she had cat like reflexes-better than younger dogs- and would trot like a Prix de St. George dressage horse- utterly exquisite-more a dance than a gait- a perfect exhibition of timing, balance and beauty.

In 2009 she was the oldest hound at the Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass at over 13 years old and was crowned Queen:

queenaggie09.jpg

Running in the snow in 2010:

aggie2010b-1.jpg

Her 14th birthday was special and Burpdog even sent her a cake and some goodies she really really enjoyed:

100_1018.jpg

In 2010 she was again Queen and once again the oldest hound at the Bluegrass Festival-over 14 years old!

Aggie2010a.jpg

I also must mention that she is without doubt the most stubborn creature I was ever blessed to know! She is a pragmatic, matter of fact girl. Once she asked "What's the big deal about transitioning?" And she added that "when the body quits working its time to go." Yesterday she told me she knew I wasn't ready but that she would sacrifice her feelings for me and knew I would for her." She said she needed to cross over and was suffering mentally, physically and emotionally, that the body had had enough-that enough is enough. She said she was very aware of her physical issues and stated several times that nothing good was going to come to her at this point. I couldn't help but notice that this morning in describing her condition the vet used some of the same words and phrases and said the same things that she had told us yesterday. I know that wasn't a coincidence. She and the vet both spoke of her struggles and that nothing good would be coming to her. In fact the vet elaborated further on how horrid the next day could be. But it was not going to happen-because we loved each other too much-and we knew it. She said she had already said her goodbye's to the other pack members-I could tell it was true by the way they acted. She lived an honorable, dignified and above all loving life, and left that way too. I owe her so much-she was courageous beyond measure and such an anchor in our home. I expect that she will continue to be in spirit!

The last week in September she sent a message out via Morgine Jurdan in Morgine's Voices of Nature newsletter. It helps show what a loving spirit she is. This was about 2 weeks before she crossed over. This is what she wanted to tell people:

Aggie the Queen

14 ½ year old greyhound

" Love is more magical than you could ever imagine. Loving without conditions creates more magic in your life than you could probably handle. You could let go of so much anger and judgments. You could always be forgiving no matter what anyone did or said to you. We dogs do this a lot. You could always welcome people home into your heart. You can still choose to not like certain people or what they might do or say. Yet you still love them inside, because that creates wonderful feelings inside you. You radiate those wonderful feelings and help others feel better. Love is magical. Love create smiles, and helps the world heal. Give more to yourself and share it with everyone!! The world will get brighter every day you do! Go for it! I am barking for your success!!"

Edited by racindog

Guest boondog

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I remember sweet Aggie from Louisville. My friends' grey Sunny was king this year. She was so precious. Godspeed, baby girl.

My boy Boon's dad is also Rapido Rambo. I wish I'd known so I could've introduced him to his half-sister. :(

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 She was a lovely girl.

Godspeed Aggie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What a lovely tribute to your beautiful girl - RIP Aggie.

:f_pink:grouphug:brokenheart:grouphug:f_pink

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest barkdogs

A beautiful tribute to a special lady.

Old dogs are awesome! I have quite a few myself. After my sweet Helga died at age 11 after only 6 months with me I adopted 2 more old ladies in her honor.

My deepest sympathies for you loss and thank you for giving Aggie such a fitting retirement.

Guest PhillyPups

I am so very sorry for your loss. :bighug

It seems these older broods teach us so very much of the important life lessons in such an awesome gentle way.

A beautiful tribute to Aggie

Run with the angels sweet Aggie, you are with thevery very best ~

I am sorry for your loss of beautiful Queen Aggie.

Run free sweetie, run free... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

That was a lovely tribute to a great-hearted and lovely queen, Donna. And what a resume! I'm so sorry for your loss.

:grouphug:f_pink:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Your tribute to your beloved girl was beautiful - thank you for sharing her well-lived and loved life with us. She left on her terms, with your help. What a precious gift you shared...

:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Edited by maximum

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Godspeed, precious.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.