Joe Is Scheduled For Amputation Tomorrow At 10 Am

We spent the day at OSU. We spoke with Dr. Couto this morning. He said he is positive it is cancer and nearly positive it is osteo. He said the radiograph didn't present like a typical greyhound osteo though, more like osteo in a doberman. The lesion is larger and more diffuse (not as concentrated). It didn't look particularly like a starburst or swiss cheese. He said that there was a very, very slight chance that it was one of two other cancer types. One of them is even worse than osteo in regards to prognosis. The other one would be much, much better (amputate the leg and the cancer is gone -- no chemo).

They are going to do a CAT scan tommorrow morning (I am to be there by 7:15) and the fine needle aspiration. Assuming it is osteo or the "better" cancer, amputation will happen at about 10 in the morning.

He will be in the ICU following recovery. He will likely come home on Saturday or Sunday.

After he heals from the surgery he will receive 5 chemo treatments two weeks apart (both doxorubicin and Suramin). After that he will be started on two different herbal supplements and Palladia. Dr. Couto has had some success with Palladia shrinking existing lung mets and feels that using Palladia even when there are no visible mets will extend the survival time.

Joe was such a trooper today. Because he is used to being at OSU he exhibited no anxiousness, despite being away from me for most of the day. They were kind enough to let him spend much of his "down" time on a bed in the blood donation room, where he knows all of the people.

I can only hope and pray that I am doing the right thing for him. He is such a happy go lucky dog and always does things to make me laugh. As long as he recovers from the surgery, he should be his happy, goofy self until the end. Maybe we will be really lucky and he will make it until he hits double digits.

Thank you all for your support. It really means the world to me.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding your precious Joe in my prayers for a easy day at OSU tomorrow and uneventful recovery from surgery. Many hugs to you, too... :hope:grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending lots of Prayer and good thoughts. Please keep us updated...

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Lots of prayers for your boy, and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Smiley

I'll be in the waiting room with you in spirit Jane-I know how stressful it is there and I am so grateful you were there with us. I'll be sending good thoughts and prayers to both of you and anxiously awaiting updates. Do you know who your surgeon will be? If it's Dr. Mercurio, you tell him I said he's to do a spectacular job on Joe's surgery! Many hugs to you Jane and to Joe too.

Sending good thought for Joe and you in the morning. Our outcome today was not good either.

so sorry for this news as well - you will also be in our prayers - any decisions yet? know we are here for you -- hugs

Jane, chondrosarcoma is the other "good" one. It generally doesn't metastasize so if you can remove the tumor (ie. amputation) then you should have 3-4 years according to the stats. I'll be hoping that's what hte FNA turns up and sending good thoughts for an easy surgery adn quick recovery.

So sorry you're having to deal with this. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sending good, positive thoughts to you and Joe. We wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds