Watching Sherman Decline Is Heartbreaking

Guest Shermanator

No advice....just thougths and prayers for strength....as others have said, just enjoy the time. We, too, like many who have posted have chosen four-legged children over two......and love them with every single piece of our hearts....Rest assured that there are those of us out here who truly understand that they are not "just dogs"....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shermanator

I think it might be time to increase the tramadol. He's doing a lot of panting. I hate this, I am not crying anymore, I think I have accepted it (for now.) I am also thinking ahead to life with only Patton, and a new grey. Is that wrong? I love Sherman with everything I have, he is my heart dog, but I think I am slowly trying to deal with the future. Is that wrong? I am worried about what is going to happen after he goes to the Bridge. Patton's never been alone. I know I'll be a mess for awhile. Sigh. I just want everything to go back to 2 mo ago, when he was perfectly fine, and we were preparing for our vacation (now Sherman's last one) to California to spend the weekend at the beach. That's all I want.

Thanks for all your love and support. I appreciate my GT family!

Guest SusanP

Our Wizard didn't have osteo, but it became increasingly clear that we weren't going to be able to save him. It was so hard, and I haven't learned a thing about making it easier. All I can offer is :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug .

It's not wrong to think of the future. Just, try not to worry over it. For that part, what happens, happens. You know you will be devastated, and you will find out how Patton is. If he doesn't do well alone after some time to grieve in his own way, you know how you will fix that.

Sending gentlest hugs to all your family and scritchies to your sweet Sherman.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Paige12

I am keeping you in my prayers.

there is a doggie valium ( I am drawing a blank on the name of it right now) you could ask your vet to get you some. It is a very big help when they are really in pain. Yes, they are a little groggy, but I took that over my boy hurting. For me, I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking ahead to the future. I think it is a dealing mechanism that helps us all get through this. If you believe that just like with the people we have loved and lost, that the dogs (and other animals) we have loved and lost, will be with us again, it makes it not quite so painful. I do believe I will see my animal family again, and they will not be suffering any more. (i'm going to include this again, because it really did help me when I lost Paige and again with Cha-Cha.

( It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." unknown)

Sorry to the folks who have heard this before.

I think it might be time to increase the tramadol. He's doing a lot of panting. I hate this, I am not crying anymore, I think I have accepted it (for now.) I am also thinking ahead to life with only Patton, and a new grey. Is that wrong? I love Sherman with everything I have, he is my heart dog, but I think I am slowly trying to deal with the future. Is that wrong? I am worried about what is going to happen after he goes to the Bridge. Patton's never been alone. I know I'll be a mess for awhile. Sigh. I just want everything to go back to 2 mo ago, when he was perfectly fine, and we were preparing for our vacation (now Sherman's last one) to California to spend the weekend at the beach. That's all I want.

Thanks for all your love and support. I appreciate my GT family!

I sent you a lengthier reply on COG, but rather than increase the Tramadol, I would switch to administering the dose over 3x/day and add in an anti-inflammatory 1x/day (Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacamm) and possibly Gabapentin. You might find this article useful - it talks about the different types of pain caused by cancer and why, therefore, different types of medication are needed to address the pain.

I'm so sorry you're struggling with this. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lunchbox

For the Tramadol, we did the same with Moscow. Instead of uping the dosage we uped the frequency from 2x a day to 3x a day. He seemed much more comfortable after that.

I know it's difficult, I just let Moscow go last night but it was a very peaceful event and I got a sense of relief out of it because I know he is not hurting any more. You have a great family to lean on here at GT. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Guest Paige12

For the Tramadol, we did the same with Moscow. Instead of uping the dosage we uped the frequency from 2x a day to 3x a day. He seemed much more comfortable after that.

I know it's difficult, I just let Moscow go last night but it was a very peaceful event and I got a sense of relief out of it because I know he is not hurting any more. You have a great family to lean on here at GT. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Ditto to what Lunchbox said on upping the frequency, that worked better for us.

To Lunchbox, so sorry for your loss...your sorrow. Sucks to do the right thing sometimes.

This is so sad and I am very sorry. Such heartfelt advice here so I doubt I can offer any greater words of wisdom.

However, having lost my Indy to nasal cancer in February, I can only say that I wanted him to go out with his head held high. I didn't want to watch him physically waste away before my eyes. So I made the decision to let him go sooner rather than later.

While Indy never, ever cried, whined, whimpered, still ate like a champion, gave me kisses, etc., I could see the change in his big, beautiful dark eyes. The look in his eyes was solemn and there was pain. The sparkle and joy had left. Indy was so brave. I didn't want to medicate him into a stupor just for a few more days, weeks.

So I had a long, tearful talk with Indy. Told him how much I loved him and reflected on our crazy journey together. And I said goodbye for now.

I agree with the others who talk about a feeling a sense of relief. You will. Ending your beloved hound's suffering is the greatest gift of love you can give. Hugs. :cry1

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest aaspenwall

I've lost two dogs to osteo - one about a week post diagnosis and last year, my heart dog about 2-1/2 months after diagnosis. It is incredibly hard to get through that time no matter how long it lasts because you know that a more painful time for you is to come and because you struggle to analyze every change in them so you can try to make the right decision at the right time, without letting them suffer. Trust your instincts as far as knowing your dog and if he seems to be doing well and enjoying the majority of his time, be as happy as you can in those moments. But don't deny to yourself or anyone else that this stinks, and allow yourself to grieve as much as you need to both now and once Sherman goes to the bridge. One thing that helped me immensely was that while my dogs were alive, I started writing lists of all the great things I loved about them, the silly things they did, even the weird scars, nicks, etc. they had from living their lives to the fullest. The act of just writing that all down helped me focus on how much the good of having them outweighed the pain of losing them. And it helped to do it while they were still with me because I could focus on their lives instead of their deaths. I still sometimes go back and read those lists and I'm so glad I recorded them because some of the funniest things I may have otherwise forgotten, but now it brings me such joy to have those memories recorded. Also, don't beat yourself up for looking forward and considering the possibility of getting another dog. None can or will ever take the place of another, but they all add unique joy to your life and opening your home and your heart to another dog who needs both is a great way to honor the love you share with Sherman.

Guest Paige12

I've lost two dogs to osteo - one about a week post diagnosis and last year, my heart dog about 2-1/2 months after diagnosis. It is incredibly hard to get through that time no matter how long it lasts because you know that a more painful time for you is to come and because you struggle to analyze every change in them so you can try to make the right decision at the right time, without letting them suffer. Trust your instincts as far as knowing your dog and if he seems to be doing well and enjoying the majority of his time, be as happy as you can in those moments. But don't deny to yourself or anyone else that this stinks, and allow yourself to grieve as much as you need to both now and once Sherman goes to the bridge. One thing that helped me immensely was that while my dogs were alive, I started writing lists of all the great things I loved about them, the silly things they did, even the weird scars, nicks, etc. they had from living their lives to the fullest. The act of just writing that all down helped me focus on how much the good of having them outweighed the pain of losing them. And it helped to do it while they were still with me because I could focus on their lives instead of their deaths. I still sometimes go back and read those lists and I'm so glad I recorded them because some of the funniest things I may have otherwise forgotten, but now it brings me such joy to have those memories recorded. Also, don't beat yourself up for looking forward and considering the possibility of getting another dog. None can or will ever take the place of another, but they all add unique joy to your life and opening your home and your heart to another dog who needs both is a great way to honor the love you share with Sherman.

The absolute best that anyone has said it so far. Wish I'd thought to write things down about Paige.

Guest IrskasMom

I can't ad anything more then what has already been said.I wish you Peace and Comfort in knowing , we are here for you.It is heartbreaking what you are going through.Sherman knows he is loved and you are doing the best you can. Lots of gentle Hugs for you and Sherman :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest Shermanator

My beloved Sherman took a turn for the worse Wed., and he went to the Bridge on Thursday. All of us are heartbroken. Now, we are watching Patton, and trying to help him mourn as we mourn the loss of our boy.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending sympathy to all your family.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so so sorry.

God speed to you handsome boy, knowing how very much you will always be loved

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm so sorry. Sending best wishes to the entire family. :grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest SusanP

I'm so sorry. He is safe from all suffering now, and you can begin your healing, but you will always hold him in your hearts. The love never dies. :grouphug

Guest trevdog

I'm so sorry...we are all here with you. It's a tough thing to go through, not only for the pup but for eveyone that loves him. He knows you love him.

Kelly :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."