My Tribute To May

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Guest Che_mar_Cody

As some know from Facebook I'm having a hard time dealing with the loss of May. This is my of getting some kind of closure. I've been watching her for the last 5 years and had her every month but one since last November.

She was my girl too. She loved my boy & from his smile you can see he was very happy too.

My link

DYING IN MY ARMS - A CAREGIVER’S POINT OF VIEW

Owning a greyhound opens a new chapter in ones thought about vets and care-giving. We learn these dogs are like no other dog is more ways then one can imagine. From stealing our hearts like not other breed to thin skin, anesthesia and a heart that is more like a human’s then canine. We are instructed upon adoption to find a grey savvy vet, and when it comes to having someone watch our babies when we are gone, for most of us a kennel will just not do.

For my own hound, he has slept in the same room with me and my husband from the day I brought him home. My first time away from him I could only trust his foster mom to watch him. I knew he would be safe, cared for and not spending the night alone. Cody adores his foster mom and visits to her home to this day. One day was contacted by her to see if I could watch a grey that she could not. After meeting the owner I was watching my first grey.

I was in heaven. I would love to have another greyhound but one is perfect for me, so this was a way to appease my “chip fix”, and do something special for others.

My knowledge grew with every hound that stayed with me. From special diets, medications, altering my schedule and sleeping on the couch. I soon asked for consent forms for permission to treat in case of emergency. It was like I was struck by lighting when realizing “what if” I really needed this.

It’s something that all caregivers in their homes have to think about. To obsess about it would drive one crazy with the stress. We always think and pray that nothing happens…”not on my shift”. My first trip with another’s hound to the vet made me sick in the stomach. I was relieved when the owner told me I did what they would have done and I treated the dog as if it were my own, they were not upset at all.

Many years and many hounds have stayed with no need for vet visits or the use of forms. Each hound is special and for me, I’m attached to every one that I’ve watched.

My first brindle girl I watched would be a very special one, her name was May. She stayed with me often and didn’t want to leave when her mom came to get her. She loved my boy Cody, and if my hubby ever had a “daddy’s little girl” she was it. She went to meet n greets with me, parties and parades, she was my girl.

May staying with me this time started no differently then any other. She had new medications, but was the same senior girl I grew to love. There is something that I really love and that’s hanging out with my friends and their greys . It’s a joy that May loved, especially when we were out in the yard. While in the yard May had a heart problem that caused her to stop breathing. We raced to the ER-Vet giving her CPR but it was too late when we arrived, she had died in my arms. The guilt I felt was unbearable, the pain, well it’s still there. I wanted to share what the in home care -givers of the hounds go through even though this is the extreme case. Your babies are ours when you’re away. For me, like some others I know, we share our home, our lives and our hearts.

Dedicated to May – Run Free Sweet Girl, You’re Forever In My Heart.

What a beautiful tribute.Thank you for being there

God speed to this little baby girl, who surely knows how very much she is loved.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest kydie

I am so sorry about your friend, I have never thought about a release form to have my pups cared for in case of an emergency, thank you for posting

I'm so sorry for the loss of your girl. I know I've met some hounds along the way who have stayed with us that definitely leave marks on your heart.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh Pam :grouphug While I never lost one here, it was something that I always worried about...especially with the seniors. I'm so sorry, but I'm sure you were a great comfort to May and May's owner by being there for her.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

When May's time came I think she was lucky to have you there with her & not in some run of the mill boarding place. :bighug to you & her owner. May for you :angelwings

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

I do understand as my Dobe girl, Chrissy died in my arms from a heart problem. Quite honestly my only regret was leaving her side to phone the vet, then rushing back to her -- I wasted a minute or two not holding her.

I understand -- try focusing on the fact she went quick which was good for her. :grouphug Sending my sympathy to all who love her

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Che_mar_Cody

I was lucky that my girlfriends and greyhound owners were with me. I did CPR on her for 10 minutes while she was on the phone and she helped me continue on the way the the e-vet, so I didn't have to leave for the phone for 1 minute. Our hubbies secured the rest of the hounds and got everything ready for transport. Diane you know then what I'm going through, I'm so sorry for your loss! It was so fast and so hard, I've never dealt with anything like this in my life. A haunting memory, but I'm glad I was right there when it happened. Thank you so much for your post and helping me find peace. The yard was her favorite and I still see her running there...Her spirit will forever run there as she didn't have a fenced in yard at her home.

Her mom posted something on facebook that made me feel so special...she said May was in heaven before she died.

Thank you again

Edited by Che_mar_Cody

I'm so sorry for your experience. May must've been very special and you certainly did all you could have done for her, and more, because you loved her so much :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest how888

{{{{ Pam }}}} I am so very sorry for the loss of precious May.. Nike had the heart attack and died in our arms that night.. I can't even began to tell you how we feel.. :cry1 I don't know if we can ever get over that so I know exactly how you are feeling.. I wish I could take your pain away for awhile.. Just believe in your heart May is up there soaring high and free with the angels, leaving paw prints in the stars for all to see.. I hope she sends you a sign.. We are here for support Pam, day and night.. You wrote a beautiful tribute to one very special girl... :f_pink:f_pink:paw

Guest Che_mar_Cody

{{{{ Pam }}}} I am so very sorry for the loss of precious May.. Nike had the heart attack and died in our arms that night.. I can't even began to tell you how we feel.. :cry1 I don't know if we can ever get over that so I know exactly how you are feeling.. I wish I could take your pain away for awhile.. Just believe in your heart May is up there soaring high and free with the angels, leaving paw prints in the stars for all to see.. I hope she sends you a sign.. We are here for support Pam, day and night.. You wrote a beautiful tribute to one very special girl... :f_pink:f_pink:paw

Oh I'm crying with you! So very sorry for the loss of Nike :cry1 May has sent a sign to let me know she's ok...sounds weird to say, but I know what I saw in my yard and I had to look twice. Even Cody went to the same exact place I saw her and was sniffing. Thank you for the kind words..it's easier with know that people know what I'm going through and have shared the same pain. I felt so alone before posting here, so I can't thank each and everyone of you for the personal pm's and posts.

Edited by Che_mar_Cody

Guest boondog

I'm so very sorry. I can't begin to imagine how difficult that must have been. She was very fortunate to have been loved by so many people. Godspeed, May.

May sounds like a very special girl. She is a loss to both families, who will miss her.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

For May, you have earned your :angelwings by the way you touched people around you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Pam I am so sorry for you and your friend. May and Cody look so sweet in that picture together. I lost my girl Vee due to sudden cardiac failure. It was one of the most difficult experiences of my life. As I look back now I am thankful that I was there to hold her, comfort her, and kiss her goodbye. I am positive that May felt your love for her and went in peace. It is so kind of you to watch over your friends' greys when they can't. Remember last fall you generously offered to watch Sam and Jasmine for me (unfortunately Jazz has trouble making nice with cats!). But I would have loved for my pups to visit with you and Cody! Take care. Hope to see you on Saturday!!

My heart goes out to you and May's momma.

May herself is fine now -- whole and healthy and running with the wind, with a smile on her face and whispered kisses for all her friends left behind here.

Godspeed, precious.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Gweneth06

Pam...soo sorry to hear about May....puts tears in my eyes when I think about it sometimes. I remember you telling me about her many times. I could only hope that if something should happen to my Gwen while you're watching her sometime that you'll treat her as you would your own. What more could I ask for. It makes me think about when I doggie sit my former fosters...think about the what if's and only hope that I will not have to actually go through it!

Oh, Pam, I'm so, so sorry. My heart is breaking for you and for May's Mom. Mary told me about what happened, and I couldn't imagine the shock and pain you experienced. You couldn't have done more for May---in fact, I know there are many of us who wouldn't have known how to do the CPR, to try so hard to bring her back. Thank God you were with her---it could have happened when she was alone.

My heart cat Daphne died in my arms. I think it must have been an aneurysm, because it was so sudden, and though she was 17, she wasn't even sick. I had the most horrible time dealing with that shock, not only of losing my precious girl, but having it happen in the space of minutes. It adds a layer to your grief that takes a LONG time to process. But if it had happened 10 minutes later, I would have gone to bed, and she would have died alone, without me even knowing. My vet told me that though it was hard for me, that Daphne hadn't suffered. She was in my arms, and I was telling her how much I loved her. I guess we can only wish that for our pets---that they don't suffer, and that they know we love them. And May knew that. She was with her second Mom, safe and happy till the very end.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Pam...soo sorry to hear about May....puts tears in my eyes when I think about it sometimes. I remember you telling me about her many times. I could only hope that if something should happen to my Gwen while you're watching her sometime that you'll treat her as you would your own. What more could I ask for. It makes me think about when I doggie sit my former fosters...think about the what if's and only hope that I will not have to actually go through it!

You know I will Becky. I still remember how Gwen missed you the first night and cried. Her head was on my hand the whole night.

Oh, Pam, I'm so, so sorry. My heart is breaking for you and for May's Mom. Mary told me about what happened, and I couldn't imagine the shock and pain you experienced. You couldn't have done more for May---in fact, I know there are many of us who wouldn't have known how to do the CPR, to try so hard to bring her back. Thank God you were with her---it could have happened when she was alone.

My heart cat Daphne died in my arms. I think it must have been an aneurysm, because it was so sudden, and though she was 17, she wasn't even sick. I had the most horrible time dealing with that shock, not only of losing my precious girl, but having it happen in the space of minutes. It adds a layer to your grief that takes a LONG time to process. But if it had happened 10 minutes later, I would have gone to bed, and she would have died alone, without me even knowing. My vet told me that though it was hard for me, that Daphne hadn't suffered. She was in my arms, and I was telling her how much I loved her. I guess we can only wish that for our pets---that they don't suffer, and that they know we love them. And May knew that. She was with her second Mom, safe and happy till the very end.

Nancy, your making the tears just flow, but I know what you say it the truth about her going quick and being in the arms of someone that she loved and loved her.

Guest Nitemare

Run free baby girl. You touched so many. Even my non-grey old man, who will remove himself when there are a lot of greys over so he doesn't get knocked around, loved being by your side with his tail in the air and prancing right with you. You are forever in my heart.

:gh_run:gh_run:gh_run

I'm so sorry. Too often we don't know why things happen and why they happen the way they do, but it seems that if May had to leave and couldn't be with her mama, it was right that she was with you. grouphug.gif

Godspeed sweet girl. ghrun.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.