Considering An Adoption

Guest SkyeGuy

Guest SkyeGuy

I'm considering adoption of a greyhound in the future. After reading all the threads concerning health, behavioral, and adjustment questions it makes me wonder if these problems are the exception or the rule. I've spent the past 13 years with a pair of rescued Skye Terriers. Skyes are stubborn, sometimes aggressive, territorial, but very loving when it comes to their owners. I know that dogs are a lot of work but I'm retired and looking forward to a dog that is a bit less challenging than the Skyes have been. What kind of advice do you have for me...Thanks.

Guest boondog

Welcome! I would say many of these things are the exception. Just think of all the people with healthy, well-behaved pups who don't post. :)

Hmmmm. It's funny--my neighbor her at my condo complex showed up with a red brindle male greyhound about a year after I moved here with my red brindle male greyhound!

Their dog has had ZERO issues. He's as relaxed and mellow as the summer is humid! He's quiet, gentle, loves everyone, and has never had ANY problems.

My dog? He was a NIGHTMARE!! Not his fault--and not my adoption group's fault. He was in foster care with another dog, so they had no idea that when he ended up with me, alone, he'd start to howl like a wolf. They didn't know he has some deep festering infection that made him pee in the house for the first year (well, not for long, really, as I put a belly band on him, and he peed in THAT).

My point? They're ALL different!

Let me assure you that now that the initial adjustment period is over, and the medical problem has been solved, George is relaxed, easy going, and a wonderful, wonderful companion!

I'd recommend you find a local adoption group, make it clear what traits you're hoping for personality wise, don't fall in love with a photograph, and let the group guide you to a dog that's MOST LIKELY to fit in to your lifestyle!

Remember: people writing about problems are looking for help here. People who don't have problems aren't posting so much!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It's a toss up with the health problems. You might look for a return that is already broken in and will walk into your house and settle right in. Broke in Couch Potato. The returns are really the best.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest TBSFlame

I currently have 5 greys and have 3 that have passed and I have never had any issues. I have fostered and have never had any issues. That has been my experience with greys.

Guest KennelMom

I think greyhounds are pretty easy. We manage 19 every day pretty easily. 32 hounds total. Some have had issues, none have been unsurmountable. I think the biggest challenge for new adopters is the whole "being alone" thing. It's something retired racers have never really had to face. I do think greyhounds are best enjoyed in groups of 2+.

Generally, if you have a laid back, confident attitude you'll be fine. Greyhounds are excellent mirrors. If you are stressed and high strung, they will reflect that energy. If you've survived terriers for over a decade, handling a greyhound personality may be a little different, but do-able.

I'll echo what many others have said - yes, there's a forum on health/medical, on behavior/training, on food (you can drive yourself nuts trying to find the perfect food), but there's also the "cute & funny" and all of the other areas where people talk about how great (or greyt!) their dogs are. We've had our grey for 2 months and full expected to work through some of the challenges that people have written about and we've had none. No separation anxiety (even with being an only dog and both of us working full time), no food issues, no health issues, nothing but fun and joy. Best decision we made.

Definitely find a goup you're comfortable with, let them know about your lifestyle and they'll work with you to find a great fit.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I think this was posted here on GT a while ago.

Being a Greyhound Pet

Take a minute or 2 to read through this to get better idea of what your new greyhound is going through when it leaves the track or farm to live in a home for the 1st time.....

Of all breeds of dogs, the ex-racing Greyhound has never had to be responsible for anything in his life. His whole existence has been a dog-centered one. This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and tail. The only prohibition in a racing

Greyhound's life is not to get into a fight----------------or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling, at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you, without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked. The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has never been touched while he was asleep.

You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in a turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and every thing else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge. You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood, it is in your heart, it is in your fate-- or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual; you were always part of the "condo association?; the sorority or fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack. The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

In my "mobile abode," the Greyhounds each have several unique names, but they also have a single common name: it is Everybody. We continue to do things as a group, pack or as we are affectionately known in-house, by Kathleen's Husbandit, "The Thundering Herd."

Back to those who have not been permanently homed. Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How many times have you heard someone say, "He won't tell me when he has to go out." What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke about the dog who says, "My name is No-No Bad Dog. What's yours?" To me that is not even funny. All the protective barriers are gone. There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why should he not, believe that this "someone," who has crept up on him, isn't going to eat him for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go though walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now, especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all, what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch, kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances, sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often the reason for so many returns. How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to tell the adoptor when they had to go out? How many for jumping on people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-year old human. But with your love and help, you can make it happen.

We've always had terriers in our house, mostly westies. Yes, terriers are called terrors for a reason. We now have 3 greyhounds along w/ 4 westies. To me greyhounds seem like the perfect pet. All of ours were fostered, 2 were bounces, and they fit from day one. Not a problem at all. Knock on wood, I've had better luck with health/behavior problems with the greys than the terriers. Of course, most of those terriers were "special needs".

Only one of our gh's had a problem w/ food; he just needed a low protein. Everyone eats what he eats, except for one westie w/ allergies. They are so easy to take care of and so easy going....they are a million miles away from terrier behavior.

As long as I can, I will always have at least a greyhound and a westie. I love greyhounds for their sleekness, their beauty, their mellowness. I love terriers because of the attitude, their tuffness and their stubbornness.

And all our dogs get along fine together. They actually run together and play together. I am super lucky with my pack.

Connie

I think greyhounds are pretty easy. We manage 19 every day pretty easily. 32 hounds total. Some have had issues, none have been unsurmountable. I think the biggest challenge for new adopters is the whole "being alone" thing. It's something retired racers have never really had to face. I do think greyhounds are best enjoyed in groups of 2+.

Generally, if you have a laid back, confident attitude you'll be fine. Greyhounds are excellent mirrors. If you are stressed and high strung, they will reflect that energy. If you've survived terriers for over a decade, handling a greyhound personality may be a little different, but do-able.

What Heather said.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

The people with easy hounds don't post that much :) Otherwise I could be here every hour and report on yet another hour of perfect behavior, and one of them is pretty new and still learning the ropes. I've had other breeds, and to me Greyhounds are easier and faster learners, we had just a few "if there is food involved it must be mine" incidents, just a couple of reminders and she gets it. Oh, and then today we had a very funny "let me run in from the yard and jump on the couch and flat out on top of mommy" episode, we shall work on that :)

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest Wasserbuffel

I wouldn't rely on the health and behavior forums as an indication of whether or not to adopt a grey. Of course both are going to be full of posts about health and behavior troubles!

I'm pretty new with greyhounds, so I'm going to use my experience with ducks and chicken as an example.

Like greys, ducks and chickens are by and large a healthy lot. I only have two ducks at the moment, one is 9 and the other is 10 (each has been to the vet exactly once). I just lost a 10 year old gal who had a bum foot her whole life last week. My first duck was eight when he died from a tumor. All five of my chickens are over 6 years old, the eldest is 8 (One has never been to the vet, one went because of my paranoia, two for easily cleared up egg issues, the other for a wound).

Now, to read a health forum on a poultry fancier's board, one wouldn't expect these guys to be so long lived or so healthy. They can come with a horrifying array of problems, but they aren't as wide spread as it might seem.

Behavior issues? My rooster acts like a rooster. Me and DH are the only ones who can go in the coop without him trying to kick us in the face. It's natural, and we deal with it by caging him when we have a sitter. I can handle him as I wish and can put my face within pecking range without being attacked because he knows I'l the alpha rooster. One of the females is hermaphroditic and fights with the other birds, she must be permanently physically separated, yet able to see the others. But, she is the most cuddly chicken in the world with humans. She would happily be a lap chicken if I let her in the house.

Like dogs, these animals are trainable, limitedly. I had a blind duckling I taught to respond to about ten words (born blind, died young as a complication of the blindness). My first duck would obey vocal commands and hand signals (kiss, jump off the dock, jump up). My current lot? I haven't bothered to train.

Ok, that may be a little rambly. But the point is, the animals are all induviduals. Most will be healthy, some will develop problems. Most will be mentally sound, a few will be neurotic. Remember that the vast majority of health and behavior issues will be easy to correct.

Being a Greyhound Pet

Take a minute or 2 to read through this to get better idea of what your new greyhound is going through when it leaves the track or farm to live in a home for the 1st time.....

Of all breeds of dogs, the ex-racing Greyhound has never had to be responsible for anything in his life. His whole existence has been a dog-centered one. This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and tail. The only prohibition in a racing

Greyhound's life is not to get into a fight----------------or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling, at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you, without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked. The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has never been touched while he was asleep.

You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in a turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and every thing else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge. You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood, it is in your heart, it is in your fate-- or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual; you were always part of the "condo association?; the sorority or fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack. The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

In my "mobile abode," the Greyhounds each have several unique names, but they also have a single common name: it is Everybody. We continue to do things as a group, pack or as we are affectionately known in-house, by Kathleen's Husbandit, "The Thundering Herd."

Back to those who have not been permanently homed. Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How many times have you heard someone say, "He won't tell me when he has to go out." What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke about the dog who says, "My name is No-No Bad Dog. What's yours?" To me that is not even funny. All the protective barriers are gone. There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why should he not, believe that this "someone," who has crept up on him, isn't going to eat him for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go though walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now, especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all, what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch, kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances, sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often the reason for so many returns. How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to tell the adoptor when they had to go out? How many for jumping on people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-year old human. But with your love and help, you can make it happen.

Thank you for posting this Dick, this is something I wish was included in all adoption material, and a must read for all potential adopters

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest 2greygirls

everydog is different. I think the post a few before me with the layout of a greyhounds experience is great. I had a few minor SA issues with my first hound, but with Bonnie, I literally walked into the race kennel,took her out of her crate , put her in my car with Stretch, and took her home, she had never been in a house, and I live downtown.. she did fine not a problem, no accidents or anything. Stretch was pretty much the same, he did get on the coffee table shortly after getting into the house, i think he thought it was some kind of bench or scale.

Guest Jubilee251

I do think greys are different because of their racing/growing up background, but just a chime in from someone who had a fairly easy transition from never-had-a-dog to her first dog. From the day she came home, Molly showed absolutely no space aggression, no potty issues, didn't mind her nails being trimmed, teeth brushed, or ears cleaned. She never chewed, never went through the trash, counter-surf, etc. We had very few issues - I think you should go for it!

Guest Samantha

Greyhounds are completely unique, and once you own one you will know what i mean by this, i agree with most of the other posters. You may get a perfect greyhound, you may not,but this is the same with any breed.

Im extremely biased as in my 28 yrs of life i have never owned any dog bar a greyhound. Good Luck & hope to hear soon that you have given a hound its forever home :)

Guest LindsaySF
I'd recommend you find a local adoption group, make it clear what traits you're hoping for personality wise, don't fall in love with a photograph, and let the group guide you to a dog that's MOST LIKELY to fit in to your lifestyle!

Remember: people writing about problems are looking for help here. People who don't have problems aren't posting so much!!

This. :)

Guest gecko_foot

My point? They're ALL different!

Let me assure you that now that the initial adjustment period is over, and the medical problem has been solved, George is relaxed, easy going, and a wonderful, wonderful companion!

What George said :D

I've had dogs all my life, but Tumnus is my first greyhound. Aside from very minor separation anxiety I haven't had any problems with him. He loves people, tolerates my obnoxious cat, and is willing to go with me just about anywhere (except up a tree) :lol .

Just be patient and wait for the right dog to find you. Sometimes it takes a while, but if you're honest with yourself about what you're looking for in a dog, you won't find a better companion anywhere.

IMG_3622-1.jpg

IMG_3767-1.jpg

Guest scfilby

This board is Greyhound specific and people who HAVE issues are able to seek advice for them. I think because of this, it can seem that Greys are prone to certain issues, but if you look at any other breed specific board you will see the same thing.

We owned Dobermans for 20 years. We lost our last Dobergirl in December.

We also have a 13 yr old GSD-X and an 11 yr old Pointer-X.

Greyhounds had been on our minds ...quite possibly because they are similar in body type to the Dobe...leggy, thin, pointy nosed dogs who do not like to be cold or wet.

We did lots of reading and research and chose our adoption group carefully.

We met other people in our community with Greyhounds. Went to 'Grey runs' at the dog park.

Like you, I also went on several chat forums, lurking and listening.

And I - like you - got a bit 'scared' to take the 'plunge'.

Too much talk of SA and Osteo and the Big D....very scary stuff.

However...if there had been the internet and chat forums 20 years ago when we got our first Dobe, we probably would have never gotten our first one or our second or third. They are plagued with health and temperament issues.

So ...we took the Greyhound Plunge...

We have had our big beautiful brindle boy for a month.

He is 5. He raced until one year ago and then sat at the rescue kennel for 9 months.

He is one of the most loving dogs we have ever had.

He has NO SA. No Big D.

Gets along famously with our two older dogs.

Loves our young grandkids. I will have him tested as a St John Therapy Dog in the fall and I am confident he will pass.

And we already know that he is not the last Greyhound we will own.

So continue with your reading and research, choose your adoption group carefully.

Be prepared for the worst, and then go get yourself a hound.

You will not regret it!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

What everybody else said!! :D

Seriously, after owning terriers, greyhounds will be a breeze! They're (mostly) more like very fast, long-legged cats than dogs. And there are as many different personality types as you can think of. Find an adoption group you feel comfortable with and be VERY HONEST about your home life, the personalities of your current dogs, your schedule - that way they'll be able to recommend a grey that will have a good chance of fitting into your home with barely a ripple.

Good Luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I do think greys are different because of their racing/growing up background, but just a chime in from someone who had a fairly easy transition from never-had-a-dog to her first dog. From the day she came home, Molly showed absolutely no space aggression, no potty issues, didn't mind her nails being trimmed, teeth brushed, or ears cleaned. She never chewed, never went through the trash, counter-surf, etc. We had very few issues - I think you should go for it!

Just another person with a very similar experience with a grey as my first dog. Well, Beth has chewed a bit on occasion, but she loves her crate so we've just kept using that when I'm out. No separation anxiety, no problems with being an only dog, no thunderphobia, no weird fears, she loves everyone she meets. We've been to the vet a good bit in the close to two years I've had her but it's mostly because I'm a nervous/neurotic mommy who gets every little thing checked -- Beth has been perfectly healthy except for a few passing tummy incidents and some minor skin bumps.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Being a Greyhound Pet

FWIW -- The author is Kathleen Gilley

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Agree with all of the above. Most of mine walked right in the door like they owned the place. A day or two of learning the "house rules" like where the backyard is, how to get there, no, you cant chase cats, no naked hounds, gates are locked, and the garbage is off limits, they all fell into the routine with very little effort. One came with a bladder infection but that was dispatched rather quickly. The other nice thing to take into consideration is that if you get a greyhound, it will come with a built in family of aunties and uncles here on GT who will help you over any bumps, LOVE to see pictures of your baby, and give you an earfull or eyefull of some of the best advice, funniest stuff, best and least expensive places to get good hound stuff, laugh and cry with you, info on all the fun hound gatherings and offer emotional support if needed, In other words, you get US!

L.

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Honestly, after growing up with breeds like German Shorthairs, a Lab, and Weimer- and then adopting a dachshund a year before her- she is a piece of cake.

She had her issues, BUT she's easy going, she potties OUTSIDE 99.9% of the time, she sleeps when I sleep (I'm a third shifter), and so on and so forth. I love how she lolly-gags behind me on walks, also. No pulling!

Not every dog is the same, but this is my experience thus far.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana