Considering An Adoption

Guest SkyeGuy

I consider Capri to have been a perfect pet, and was my first dog as an adult. I'm one of the generally quiet people who don't post her antics much because if I posted about how cute/wonderful/perfect she was every day people would get thoroughly bored and sick of me! :lol So yes, greyhounds are IMO better than average pets with fewer than average issues. I tell people at meet and greets (and this is why I selected greyhounds) that if you want a dog who doesn't bark a lot, doesn't drool a lot, doesn't shed a lot and doesn't need a lot of exercise then it's the breed for you. I have arthritis and physically cannot run, I can jog about 5 feet, and walk about a mile a day so my activities are limited compared to most people. Capri has been the perfect pet for me because her activity level really matches mine. She zoomies for 10 seconds a couple times a week, either in the house or the backyard, all by herself, and otherwise we just take a leisurely walk every day.

The one thing to really emphasize to the OP to take seriously are some of the posts in the Behavior and Training topic. Specifically: respect the animal, learn to read and understand it's signals, read Patricia McConnell books, and respect the animal. Know the ground rules: dog's bed/crate is his castle and no touching without ensuring dog is awake. Understand that if you commit minor offenses (like trying to hug his head) and get growled at, this is a correction you need to respect, not an aggressive dog. Having said that in a very stern tone, be assured that you will have the most wonderful, loving and affectionate pet possible.

Oh, and greyhounds never forget. :lol Remember that too! (Capri reminds us that every other day!)

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest vulferius

Ultimately forums on the internet are going to give you a sampling of the best and worst of everything, greyhounds included. People come here to brag and they come here when they're desperate for advice. You have to remember that this is a very small fanatic sample group, there are tens of thousands of people out there with greyhounds who don't visit boards like greytalk because their hounds are normal healthy well adjusted companions.

You've already had a lot of responses about greyhounds, so I won't go in to that but I will say that just about everyone who brings a greyhound into their life will always have a greyhound :)

-Jeff

Guest SkyeGuy

Thank you to everyone! I really appreciate the time everyone has taken to respond to my question. It sounds like a Greyhound may be the perfect pet. I am planning to attend a Meet & Greet this afternoon in Reno. Thanks again for all your advice.

You have to remember that this is a very small fanatic sample group

Heeeeeeeeey....I resemble that remark :blush:lol

Ummm, I think I'm included in that group also.:lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee