My Dear Sweet Kyshi Is Gone

Sundrop

I've posted for advice a few times here in the past weeks, as my dear sweet girl wasn't interested in eating anymore. We made her every imaginable meal and most things sparked her interest enough to take a bite or two, and then nothing. Last Wednesday, she started vomiting everything she got down, so I admitted her to the animal hospital on Friday afternoon and ordered an emergency ultrasound, blood-work, everything. They called later that day and gave us the tragic news - her immediate problem was acute pancreatitis (which, of course, we were making worse by feeding her) - but her ultra-sound showed many "major abnormalities" not the least of which were three large masses in her aorta (causing her left hind leg to grow numb over the last month or so), enlarged adrenal glands, enlarged lymph nodes, fluid in her belly and dangerously low blood pressure. Our vet kept finding more abnormalties the longer she viewed the ultrasound results.

We asked them to treat her pancreatitis and get her stable, then we would tackle all of the other issues.

Saturday morning they called to tell us that she was crashing. Her blood pressure was 80. There was more fluid in her belly. They did another ultrasound and found that the 3 masses in her aorta had moved - she was now paralyzed in her entire hind end. Every place they had inserted a needle there was terrible bruising, indicating clotting issues. And worst of all...our stoic girl, who didn't even cry when she broke her toe clean in two (while chasing a squirrel in the yard) was in visible, and significant, pain. We raced to the hospital to see her and it was awful. I can't even explain. I just sobbed when I saw her. This beautiful, sweet, precious dog was in so much pain but trying to fight her way through. It breaks my heart to even remember. The doctor gave her virtually no chance (less than 5%) of her pulling through and didn't feel optimistic about her even making it through the night. We couldn't bring her home because she was in too much pain. We couldn't leave her there, alone, in a strange place, in so much pain to potentially pass away without her mom and dad there. We made the excrutiating decision to help her to the bridge.

She fought until her last breath. My husband massaged her feet as I kissed her forehead and said goodbye as she left us.

She was our first dog. She was our first greyhound. She is the reason we adopted two other greyhounds and will continue to adopt this wonderful breed. She helped me through the darkest days of my life and has slept at my side, cuddled close, every night for 5 years. She slept on her bed in my office everyday as I worked and rushed to the door to greet me, even if I'd only been gone 5 minutes. She did little dances when heard the word, "Walk?" and almost exploded with excitement when we took her on car rides.

Not having her here feels wrong... sad... unnatural.

Thanks to everyone here who tried to help us. Kyshi changed our lives and I will miss her until I can see her again, God willing, in Heaven...

IMG_0022JPG.jpgkyshi-18-1.jpg

Edited by Sundrop

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest arlosmom
:gh_run All I can say is that I know what you are feeling since I lost my Jewel this past weekend. I pray for peace and coping for you. I know you will never ever forget her. She lives on in your heart and is a bright star in the sky. Run free of pain sweet one. :gh_run

I am so very sorry for your loss and the pain that you are experiencing when you put her needs ahead of your own. What a beautiful face. Run pain free, sweetie.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so very sorry :cry1 :cry1 :cry1:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

:f_white

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I'm so sorry and hoped that things would turn around for the better :(

Thank you for sharing Kyshi with us. With your words I feel as if I know her and can see her little antics of dancing and getting excited for those things she loved.

A beautiful girl!

GOD SPEED Kyshi

:angelwings:gh_run:angelwings

Guest jettcricket

My heart breaks for you....know that your girl is no longer in pain and is running her heart out at the Bridge.ghrun.gifflowers_pink.gif

Sending you peace and white light.......

I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Kyshi.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest First1Luiggi

Oh how awful!

Kyshi was a beautiful girl. You were blessed to have each other, but of course now that makes her loss even harder to bear. I am so sorry for you.

Having just lost my first greyhound,Luiggi, I know the pain you feel.

Everyone says time will help. Until then we just have to hold on and cry,

and cry. :weep:weep

Look for her. With your stong connection, she will try to comfort you from afar.

:f_red

Guest Tokolos

I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost our Magnus (a toy fox terrier, not a grey) last August. It was heart-wrenching. He was our first and only dog, so his loss just made everything seem empty and lonely. I think we finally got to a good place this January, and we adopted Sprinkles (our grey) at the end of February. Now, when I think of Magnus, I'm happy to think of how comfortable he is. He was so old and sick at the end that he couldn't eat, walk, or even play. I try to think of him in dog heaven, lying in the sun and running around to his heart's content.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Kyshi was a beautiful girl & well loved. Godspeed Kyshi! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Typing through tears. I'm so sorry she had to leave you.

Godspeed, sweetie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.