Manny's Epic Battle

Guest MonsterMomma

Guest Houndie

What a horrible ordeal you all have been through! Manny is one strong pup, and your devotion to him, and finding out what was causing his medical problems is just amazing. Prayers and good wishes for a complete recovery.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow (actually, not what I said out loud here at work, but . . .)! Manny, you're in on the nightly candle; continue healing. Mom--perhaps an adult beverage?

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Hey, come to think of it- once everything is in the clear, any chance you can let us take a gander at the images? I'd be interested in seeing what the chest films look like.

I'm totally with you on this! OP should be able to get those images on CD to take home, right? (Our vet routinely gives people CD's of x-rays.) I'd really love to see if that stick was invisible or if it was situated so as to be mistaken for something structural in the body.

Other than that, I'm speechless. But I should at least try to express how very, very sorry I am that Manny and his people have been through this awful ordeal! :grouphug And I hope -- that's not a strong enough word for this -- that Manny continues to improve.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Oh my gosh! I'm glad things are finally looking up. My prayers are with you both. Speedy recovery Manny.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest goofydog

What a journey Manny and you have been on. Can't even imagine the horror you must have been feeling. Many prayers and white light for Manny's continued recovery.

Oh my gawd. I'm trying hard not to imagine what it must have been like for Manny, smashing into that stick so hard, feeling it break off inside him, and then every moment after that through all this horror!

HUGE hugs to you, and whatever Manny likes best to him! He deserves only softness and good things from now on EVER!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Jeez. This is unbelieveably scary. Sending loads of prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MyBoys

How terrible for your poor boy, sending many prayers that Manny is back to normal very soon.

Edited by MyBoys

Guest MonsterMomma

Wow! I knew the power of Greytalk was extraordinary, but I'm humbled by such an outpouring of good wishes, love and prayer for Manny and for us. Thank you seems so inadequate right now.

I went to see Manny this afternoon and met with his surgeon yet again to get a status update and a plan for recovery. This time, Manny joined us for kisses, hugs, and ear scritches. Since my post last night, Manny's central IV line has been removed, he no longer needs pain meds or sedation, and he's eating everything in sight. His chest tube is draining far less fluid, and within the next day or two that will also be removed. Manny is acting like Manny again...being the center of attention and charming everyone he meets.

Our boy is a bit frail, missing fur in several places from surgeries or IV lines, and in need of a bath. But he's alive, recovering remarkably well now, and expected to be back to a new kind of normal soon. We'll be able to bring him home by the end of the week...three weeks after this whole ordeal began.

Here's a pic of our boy, one day post op:

Moodayafter.jpg

I'll take more pics tomorrow, since he looks so much better now!

Again, thank you ALL for your love and prayers. They make a HUGE difference!

Edited by MonsterMomma

Guest MonsterMomma

Answers to some of your questions:

We didn't see the incident, but as best we can reconstruct, Manny was running full speed up the hill in our backyard into an area where there were remnants of tall weeds. Among those weeds were a few pokeweed plants that we didn't know about. He seems to have hit one straight on at an angle that broke the stem and drove the sharp end into his chest. No part of that stem (which was hard like a tree branch) was visible to us or to the surgeon who first operated on him. His extraordinarily muscular chest wall seemed to seal up behind it.

As for the x-rays and CT scan, I've looked at every single one of them. Even knowing where the stick was, I could not find even a hint of it. I don't fault the radiologist or any of the vets for not seeing it either. It was completely invisible.

Here's something odd:

Manny developed a small corneal ulcer on his right eye during this time. A full exam by an ophthalmologist revealed that Manny is nearly blind in his right eye. The type of damage to his retina and optic nerve are consistent with prior distemper. It seems our boy has beaten the odds more than once! His poor vision may have had something to do with this incident...he may not have seen the potential danger in front of him.

Edited by MonsterMomma

Wow, what a horrible accident!! Poor Manny, he is a trooper, and VERY lucky to have such good parents. He is a beautiful boy. :wub:

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.