Manny's Epic Battle

Guest MonsterMomma

Guest MonsterMomma

I've started to write this post several times in the last two weeks; this is the first time I'm pretty sure it will have a happy ending.

On Friday, March 26, our biggest boy, Manny, was in the backyard when we heard a scream unlike anything we've ever heard before. We ran out to discover Manny staggering across the yard with a hole in the center of his chest. My first thought was that he'd been shot. My DH held him while I ran for gauze pads to stop the bleeding. Somehow we got Manny into the SUV, with me hovering over him holding pressure on the wound to keep him from bleeding out. Of course it was after hours, so we drove 90mph to an emergency vet 20 miles away.

Manny was whisked into surgery, and several hours later we were relieved to hear that it was a shallow soft tissue injury of unknown origin. Manny was discharged a day later, bandaged and swollen. But within 24 hours we had him back at the vet hospital with massive subcutaneous bleeding and swelling, and severe dehydration. His legs swelled to 3x their normal size, splitting the skin and oozing fluid. He remained at the hospital for another four days until he was stable enough to come home on Thursday, April 2.

On Friday, my DH left for a weekend trip, confident that all was finally well. But it wasn't. By Friday night, Manny was struggling to breathe and I rushed him back to the hospital in the wee hours of Saturday morning. His left lung had collapsed, and he was rushed into surgery again for placement of a chest tube. They drained over a liter of fluid from him. I spent most of Easter weekend curled up on the floor with him at the hospital, trying to calm him in his painful and frantic state.

Over the next few days Manny's limbs swelled again and he continued to produce fluid in his chest. A CT scan failed to reveal anything, and on Wednesday, April 7 the decision was made to do an exploratory thoracotomy...opening his chest through the sternum. Manny hastened that decision by ripping his chest tube out with his teeth. What they discovered was nothing short of shocking.

Manny had a 16" stick through his left lung.

His left lung was destroyed. All that remained was fibrotic tissue that surrounded the stick and prevented the infection from spreading throughout this thoracic cavity.

Somehow, Manny had survived for 12 days with a 16" stick embedded in his lung, which was absolutely invisible on x-ray, ultrasound and CT scan. He had lost more than 20lbs of muscle mass, and needed two blood transfusions, supplemental oxygen, and a whole pharmacy of antibiotics, pain killers and synthetic proteins. We held our breath for days while we watched his legs swell again, and his chest tube dump liter after liter of fluid. He reacted badly to all the narcotics, becoming agitated and confused.

Today...Day 16...after 3 surgeries, we finally saw real improvement in Manny's condition. The swelling in his legs is gone. He's not draining as much fluid from his chest tube. He's starting to act a bit like the Manny we knew before all this started...asking for hugs and kisses, and being nosy about his environment. He's eating again.

I don't want to jinx it by saying it out loud...but I think he's gonna make it. It's nothing short of miraculous.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!!! :eek

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What a horrible roller coaster you've been on. I will keep Manny in my prayers until you let us know he is home and running around.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest greymama002

What an incredible ordeal you have endured! Many prayers that Manny will continue to improve, and he won't have any further adventures with sticks!

Edited by greymama002

OMG. I can't imagine what you have gone through. All the best to Manny for a full and speedy recovery.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Dear gods. Manny is amazing and strong, but I'm so sorry you and he are having to go through this. I do think 99% of healing is knowing and treating the root cause (no pun intended in this case), and you have that now. But OUCH! We'll keep Manny in our thoughts for continued progress and a quick path to complete recovery. I hope you are able to rest easier, too.

Guest Adrianne

Oh. My. Goodness. How horrible! I can't believe it! I think it does demonstate the strength of greyhounds that he survived this. Bless his heart and yours. I will definitely keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Unbelievable. I can't even imagine how you're feeling and what you're going through. But the fact that Manny has survived this devastating injury, and you've been by his side the whole time, attests to your strength and determination (and that includes Manny!).

I'm still trying to figure out how a penetrating foreign body of that size could not have been picked up on any of the imaging. Holy :yikes's!

Please keep us posted as often as you can, and tell Manny that so many people are willing him to get better.

:bighug to all of you

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

OMG!!!!!! How awful!! I'm so g;ad he's on the mend! I bet you can't wait to be able to relax again!!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I cant even imagine. Many, many prayers for ALL of you!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest fandogs

What an amazing story of strength, love, and WILL to survive.

Prayers for Manny for continuing to heal.. and for you for your devotion.

Amazing is the only word that keeps coming to my mind.

Maxine

Guest Energy11

OMG AND WOW!!!!!!!!

What a story! What a strong constitution your Manny has! What strong will to survive! ... WOW!

Sending love and prayers for his continuing recovery!

Holy corpuscles. That is one for some kind of record book, isn't it.

Sending prayers that he continues to recover.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

On my - words fail me. What a terrifying ordeal. Sending postive thoughts that Manny continues to recover.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com