Manny's Epic Battle

Guest MonsterMomma

Guest kydie

been following your plight of this unbeleivable tale, Am so glad he is better, I know this had to be hard to post, but this is greyt information, to be on the look out for the unknown in an injury :bighug to all of you

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3greysinPA

YAY!! :yay What a miracle Manny is home and doing so well; this is just greyt news and to see him in those pics just makes my heart over flow with happiness for him and you and your family. Continued prayers for a full recovery :hope:hope

Guest TeddysMom

I will never see a post about Manny again without thinking of him as Miracle Manny. I am so thankful he is doing well and is home. Prayers for him and hugs for you and all you have gone through are still coming your way.

Guest MonsterMomma

Manny had his follow up visit with the surgeon today. He's healing beautifully, and is no longer sporting his chest zipper (100+ staples). His chest x-ray looks great, with no fluid present and no infection. His right lung is actually growing and expanding into the space where his left lung used to be. He's still got 4-6 weeks of healing to do before he's cleared for any activity more strenuous than peeing in the yard.

Here's Manny last night, sharing his convalescent bed with his sister, Breanna (she's on the left)

PIC-0183.jpg

We're humbled by his courage and fortitude, and by the collective goodwill of Greytalk.

:grouphug

I have been living under a rock, only coming out to catch a few items in C&F. I am so glad I braved H&M this morning! Manny, you are truly a Miracle Man and deserve to be written up in every medical journal! So happy for you and your peeps! May the healing continue uninterrupted!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest MonsterMomma

Manny continues to do well, and we see signs of improvement each day. Today he wanted to be outside as much as possible, sniffing the air and soaking up the sunshine. He even decided to take a short walk (his idea, not mine) of about 250 yards. He would have gone further, but I wouldn't let him overdo it.

:D

We're needing to address some of his non-injury issues. We now know the extent of his visual impairment. In short, he's blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. His right eye has little if any vision. His left eye has decreased visual acuity. He's also got some facial palsy that prevents him from blinking that left eye properly. We're using triple-antibiotic ophthalmic ointment in the left eye to prevent the corneal ulcer that developed in his right eye during his hospitalization. I'm hoping the nerve damage underlying the facial palsy will improve over time, but we don't know if it ever will.

:dunno

Also, Manny has some unusual corns. They're not growing outward from his pads, but rather, inward and causing ulceration and bleeding. I've never seen a corn grow that way. His surgeon recommended surgery to remove the root, but I'm hesitant to use surgery as the first option. Softening creams and hulling don't seem to be the right solution either, since he has no outward growth of the corn. I think we'll start with Therapaws and see if his feet will heal on their own.

:huh2

Anyone have ideas or suggestions? :2c I'm all ears.

Might be worth stuffing the corns with Abreva to see if that helps. It's an over-the-counter used for cold sores. Won't hurt in any case.

It's good to know he's doing so well -- can't imagine how relieved you must be. He is a trooper and a miracle boy for sure.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MonsterMomma

Abreva? Really? Wow...never even thought of that! :eek

I'll pick some up when I get to work (since I work for the company that makes it).

IIRC Dr. Feeman (feemandvm on this board - he's busy tho so we don't see a lot of him) said he'd had some luck hulling corns and then packing the cavity with Abreva. So if it works for that .....

How funny that you work for the company!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This story just amazes me. Manny and all of his family have been in my thoughts since I read about this. I am in awe of the strength and courage of all. Continued healing thoughts...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Guest MonsterMomma

Abreva seems to be working wonders on Manny's corns! They're healing nicely and he's walking comfortably.

In other Manny news, he continues to make great progress in his recovery. Each day we see more and more of his usual behaviors. Still no roaching or sphinx...too painful yet...but he tries. I'm also waiting on a real smile, but that too will come. He's eating 5-6 small meals a day and gaining back some of the 20lbs he lost, but he's still rather frail looking and far too skinny.

He's nothing short of miraculous. :D

That's an understatement! How wonderful to hear that he continues to feel better and heal. I hope your upcoming summer is peaceful and very uneventful!

I hope you're able to get to the source of his facial palsy and visual impairment. For a boy with a lot of medical baggage, Manny doesn't let anything hold him back. :)

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg