Murphy Moo

Guest neenieca

Guest neenieca

It breaks my heart to post that I put Murphy to sleep on Monday night, just a month and two days after he started showing signs of hind end failure. In the end, the muscles in his rear legs had deteriorated to nothing, and he couldn’t stand or walk on his own; he stopped using his front legs, too. We still don’t really even know what was wrong with him, but it was clear that the meds given to treat a possible diagnosis of meningitis weren’t working, and that it was time to let him go. I sent him off with all the love and cheesecake I could manage.

Mr. Murphy Moo was extraordinary. He was exactly what I wanted: the biggest, blackest, mellowest male greyhound we could find. He ran with grace and elegance, though rarely at the top speed that I knew he could reach. He slept hard and long. He ate happily, slowly, and with more drool than I ever thought possible. He would lick his space clean after every meal, following my finger if I pointed out that he missed a spot. (That always made me laugh. So thorough!) He welcomed me home with joy – a happy tail wag and complete patience while I set my things down, and then he plastered himself to me, following me, loving me, rubbing his great big head against me like a cat. I can’t even tell you how much I’ll miss that. Few things have ever made me feel so appreciated. Murph wasn’t always big on playing with toys, mostly because he knew that all of them belonged to Penny first, but when he did play, it was usually with his giant bunny. He would shake it so fiercely I thought that bunny would fall apart. He loved the water, too, and his crazy zoomies, in the house and in the yard, included 95 lbs of crouching black silliness. Such joy…such joy.

Murphy was quite a singer. We would usually play a video of a greyhound rooing to get him going, and he would croon along with such soul, such devotion! It was hilarious and awe-inspiring at the same time. He rarely barked, but I have to say, I bust my buttons when he did, because it was SO loud, SO fierce, SO impressive. That’s MY Murphy doing that! And of course, he wouldn’t hurt a fly. He was terrible at nesting and roaching alike, and he knew it, but that didn’t keep him from trying. He successfully roached for a long period of time only once, with the aid of the sofa back, and the look on his face when I moved to rub his belly was incredulous: “I didn’t know that you got BELLY RUBS when you roached!” Silly Moo; of COURSE there are belly rubs. Murphy’s favorite thing was food, but I’d say his second favorite was ear rubs. His eargasms were deep, throaty groans that always brought a smile to my face. Such a simple pleasure; so sweet the way he pressed his head into my hand as I rubbed each ear. His third favorite would be a tie between lying on my bed, or lying in the sun…both equally fine pastimes in which he indulged with great gusto. Digging, with his paws (front and back!) and with his nose, was another favorite hobby of Murph’s. Oh to wipe the dirt off of that nosie one more time…

My Penny-girl loves me fiercely, but let’s say that she’s a little high-maintenance. Demanding, even. But Murphy? Murphy asked for nothing. Ever. But it was certainly my great joy to give to him, as much as I could.

How do you summarize a dog that touched your heart so much, in just a few paragraphs? It’s insufficient, insulting even. I’ll never be able to express just how much he gave to me. How fulfilling it was to love him. How much joy I found in watching him settle into his retirement with wonder, grace, and contentment. But I didn’t get enough time with him: not even two years. I hate whatever it was that took him from us. But I’m so very honored that I got to spend even a little time with that beautiful boy.

Alex, Penny and I miss you with all our hearts, Murphy Moo. Run free, sweet boy. You are so very, very loved.

Murphy's Photo Gallery

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like he was quite the guy...your tribute to Murphy was awesome. I am so sorry. Rest well big boy.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

I am so sorry. What a handsome boy. I can feel your loss in the words of the beautiful tribute to your boy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My heart goes out to you. I too can feel your loss, and your love, in your words. What wonderful company he was to you, and you to him.

Godspeed, special boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry you lost your best boy. :brokenheart What a heart warming tribute you wrote. :heart He will live on forever in your heart, just a whisper away in spirit. Godspeed, sweet Murphy Moo... :gh_run2

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am heartbroken for you. Murphy left much much too soon.

Your precious boy shared some characteristics with his Mom--my Piper--including those eargasms, but the biggest and best way they were alike is that they touched us so deeply. And neither stayed nearly long enough.

Godspeed Murphy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Scouts_mom

Thank you for telling us about your Murphy. I feel like I knew him and he was a wonderful boy. I am so sorry he had to leave. Hugs to your family and Penny. Run fast and painfree, Murphy!

Guest fargosmom

I'm so very sorry about Mr. Moo. We really miss the weekend play-dates - Cosmo especially misses romping with your big guy. They're never with us long enough, no matter how much time we have.

Guest fargosmom

I'm so very sorry about Mr. Moo. We really miss the weekend play-dates - Cosmo especially misses romping with your big guy. They're never with us long enough, no matter how much time we have.

Guest PhillyPups

I am so very sorry for your loss of such a wonderful boy. I too can feel the love in your tribute. There is something awe inspiring in those big, goofy, undemanding, loving, steady as a rock boys that soothes our souls.

Run with the angels sweet Murphy Moo, you are with some of the very very best ~

Your tribute for your wonderful Mr. Murphy Moo was perfect. I feel like I have met him. I am so very sorry for your loss. He left you much too soon. May all your wonderful memories bring you comfort in the days ahead. God speed, Moo.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so sorry that your precious Murphy Moo had to go.

He was such a handsome hound with an awesome personality.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France