Apollo (Wolfe) Is At The Bridge

Guest dwolfe711

Guest dwolfe711

It is with a broken heart that I tell you that we have sent our sweet boy Apollo to the Bridge. He was so very brave for the last few months since the lump appeared above his left eye and even braver since it was diagnosed as a cancer tumor seven weeks ago. He ran in the yard (and snow!) and continued his love for eating up until his final hours. He never appeared to be in pain after his diagnosis and starting his pain meds. He was his sweet, silly self until the end. On Tuesday morning and at lunch he was fine - but we had known from the time of his diagnosis that the tumor might put pressure on the brain and cause a seisure and we believe that is what happened sometime Tuesday afternoon. When I came home he was not at the door with Ellie and Ripley. When I saw him on his favorite bed struggling I knew something was very wrong. He could not stand up and he was obviously in distress. Those big beautiful eyes had lost much of their spark and he was obviously telling me he was ready. I had to call DH off the ski slopes to come home and our wonderful vet agreed to wait at the office until we could get there - several of the staff also stayed to help us send him off - they are so dedicated and we were truly greatful we did not have to take him to the emergency vet where we/he did not know anyone there. He went peacefully and another piece of our hearts went to the Bridge with him.

For those who don't know Apollo's story, he was adopted by a family from our group GPA-MD who eventually moved out of state. In November 2007 on a Saturday morning we received a phone call from DH's family in Mass telling us that his cousin Tom had passed away. Tom was a 42yo quadriplegic who had lived a full live after his accident at age 21 and thought he was in good health - but his heart had finally given up under the stress of his life in a wheelchair. We told the family to let us know what the arrangements were and we would be up for the services. That same afternoon at our M&G our rep told us that she had to figure out how to get an 11.5yo male grey back from Mass - that grey was Apollo. We were kind of shocked at the coincidence and of course insisted on picking him up when we went to Mass for Tom's funeral. We contacted his owner - who was heartbroken to give him up but had no choice due to divorce and financial issues - and we met her and brought him back to PA. Not wanting him to have to go into the kennel at his age and after being in a home for 9 years, we agreed to foster him. He needed an immediate dental and he lost all his remaining teeth except three canines and two small ones. No problem for Apollo - he ate just fine afterward! It didn't take long for us to realize that he was a very special boy and he wasn't going anywhere - we had started to refer to him at "Tommy's dog" as cousin Tom had loved dogs and had always looked forward to our visits with the greys. In fact he had his heart attack wheeling along the path in the woods with two of his own pups.

So - Apollo became part of the Wolfe pack and we think he truly was happy with us. After we started feeding Allie and Ripley raw he was very interested in what they were eating so I starting cutting up chicken breast and beef heart and lung and spleen, etc., etc. into small chunks that he could eat, along with ground turkey with bone and other ground meats - he LOVED it - he DEVOURED it - he was a very happy raw eater! And I believe it aided his health and stamina. He lived for mealtime and those treats in between. His only flaw - he ate poop - LOVED it - what can I say - everyone has to have at least one bad habit - poop eating was his. I would scour the yard for every last piece of poop and think there was none for him to find - oops - he found one - and enjoyed every last bite!! He was so very silly!

So he is gone and the house is so very quiet - Ripley and Ellie are quiet - we're down to two - that hasn't happened since 2004. DH wants to stay at three but now there's only two and the house is too quiet. We miss him so much and our greatest tribute to him will be to adopt another displaced senior soon. He would want that and understand that it will happen because we need to fill the void his loss has left in our lives - no, not to replace him but to celebrate the joy he brought into our lives and to share that love with another grey who needs us. I think he will be helping us make our decision from the Bridge.

Sweet Apollo, we miss you so much you big silly boy!!

At Dewey 2009 with Ellie

DSC_0038apolloelliesmall.jpg

That wonderful tongue

Apollo-Tongue-whattonguecrop.jpg

Silly boy loved to roach - oh, yeh, and that tongue!

Apollocast1108_012.jpg

Happy boy - with tongue

ghportraitfullsize608-1.jpg

Mommmmmmmmmm!!

Card2008_122408_004apollosmall.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Apollo.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Donna,

I am so so sorry he had to leave, I always felt he was so very special and loved him from afar.

You are in my thoughts and my prayers and I am so glad he had you.

Apollo, God speed to you my friend, knowing how very much you are loved and will be greatly missed.

You fought the fight always with dignity and with grace, and now you run with all the Angels.

I will hold you in my heart always :beatheart

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm sorry you lost Apollo so soon. He was a lucky boy to have found you, but it seems like it was more like fate. I hope Tom & Apollo meet up at the bridge. Godspeed Apollo! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 He was a special boy with a special story.

Godspeed Apollo.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am sorry for the loss of your special boy. What a cutie.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow