My Sobe Has Cancer

About 6 weeks ago, I posted that Sobe had pulled a muscele and was limping after coming in from a run in the yar(apparently) and a few days later, it had swelled up huge. I was concerned, and took him to the vet. He did a bunch of tests, X-rays, the works, and concluded - badly pulled muscle - broken blood vessels - big heomotoma. Here's some antibiotics, and pain meds. It will take several weeks for the hemotoma to dissipate.

Well... it didn't dissipate. It got bigger. I took him back. The vet shared my concern. This is NOT a hemotoma - what is it? A tumor? No... nothing showing on the bone in the x-rays. So- we sedated him, took a biopsy. The results came back Hemangiosarcoma. Rare - usually presents in Golden Retrievers. The cancer grows in blood vessels in the spleen or stomach - then spreads - and shows tumors in other body parts. Or - starts in the blood vessels in body parts - the BLOWS - and throws up a huge tumor overnight. I felt so guilty --- that I didn't do enough sooner, didn't know that the vet was wrong, and it wasn't a hemotoma. He won't be 9 until next month. NOT that old.

But - after I did my own research. 90% of the time - this cancer is not detectible until it fully metasticizes - throws out its spawn. Visible tumors go from 0 to 5 inches overnight once that happens. Sobe dropped 5 lb. in 3 day. At the next appointments - a week later - 5 more lbs. Still eating his normal amount of food.

Thursday - when the results came back - the vet told me that with the form of cancer - coming on this hard and strong - he may have 7 to 10 DAYS.

This has happened so fast. He only showed a problem 6 weeks ago. And we went through most of that time thinking that it's a bad boo-boo, he'll limp and be sore, but it will be FINE. Now - my dog is DYING. Soon. I've done the research. This is 100% deadly. No surgery, or chemo, or anything will give him recovery.

I'm in shock. I just can't comprehend this. My boy... my grumpy old man... my baby boy ... my FIRST greyhound...is going to die. And there's nothing I can do about it.

I'm keeping him VERY comfortable. Very happy. Switched him to all homecooked beef and chicken. It's all I can do. This is aweful. I'm still in shock.

ETA - I re-read my post... and it's a mess of typos and half-words and mis-spellings...I should fix that - but ...I just don't care. You get the point. It's taken me 4 days to get up the stregnth to post here. To put it in words. Because that makes it more real. It's almost too personal to share - but I wanted to because I know so many others have been through it. So - please pardon my grammar - I really don't give a ** about that right now.

Edited by sobesmom

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry you and your pup are having to go through this. Stay strong, we're here with you.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

If it helps, there wasn't anything you could have done if you had known.

I'm truly sorry, and I know how rotten it is. Our beautiful Argus lived only 2 weeks from the time he first started limping (aggressive osteosarcoma) and for the first few days we thought he was just milking a tiny boo-boo for all it was worth because he was a consummate drama queen.

Treasure the days that you have with Sobe. Spoil him rotten. Take lots and lots of pictures. They'll mean a lot to you later.

:bighug

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I'm so sorry. Please give him a gentle hug and kiss from me. :grouphug

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest MnMDogs

This is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry... I hope this comes across right, it's hard to convey in text. But since nothing can be done for this cancer, it's almost better not to have known, at least you were able to have that 6 weeks not thinking about this. That's what I often said about Matty - we only had 6 days after we found out she had OS. While it's devastating to have a seemingly healthy dog diagnosed, at least it gave you extra time being "normal".

That being said, this just sucks and I hate that you or anyone else has to go through this :(.

Just an edit to enjoy him as much as you can. Definitely take a lot of pictures and spoil him even more than normal.

Edited by MnMDogs

Guest zoolaine

I am so sorry. I can only imagine how devastated you must be. Sunny was diagnosed with high grade cutaneous lymphoma 3 weeks ago, with a 6 month prognosis or less. I can't imagine being told 7-10 days. We are here for you :grouphug to you and :kiss2 to Sobe

If it helps, there wasn't anything you could have done if you had known.

I'm truly sorry, and I know how rotten it is. Our beautiful Argus lived only 2 weeks from the time he first started limping (aggressive osteosarcoma) and for the first few days we thought he was just milking a tiny boo-boo for all it was worth because he was a consummate drama queen.

Treasure the days that you have with Sobe. Spoil him rotten. Take lots and lots of pictures. They'll mean a lot to you later.

:bighug

Thank you for that. You understand. The guilt was crushing at first - then - when I did the research - after I had the diagnosis - I learned that I'd already lost before anyone could know. But still - it's just so shocking. I've read on GT about greys beating cancer. Greys loosing a leg - but still having good life. That's not what Sobe's going to have. He went from a "boo boo" that I dismissed - to this. So fast. So very, very fast.

He's lying beside me right now. Far too thin - on some mild pain meds - perfectly comfortable, perfectly happy, not a care in the world.....still my happy boy hanging out with Momma. When I give him a little pet - his ears perk up, even while he's sleeping. He has no idea of his fate.

If I can be thankful for one thing - it's that dogs don't realize the concept of their own mortality. That's the burden that I bear. But I will NOT let him suffer. Right now, he feels a little "off" with a "boo boo".. When he feels differently from that - we're done. I WON'T have him hurting. I won't do that. I owe him better than that. There is no cure for this.

I've asked my DH to make sure that I don't hold onto him to long. DH has agreed - he doesn't want to have Sobe hurt either - and he's promised that he'll tell me it's time...if I'm holding on too long.

My heart aches for you. Cancer is such a monster. :cry1 What you're doing for Sobe right now is perfect... keep him comfortable, enjoying foods that he loves, and being spoiled to the hilt. He only lives in the present and doesn't know his future, so cherish every moment with your baby boy. :beatheart:grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest bigorangedog

I'm so, so sorry. I can't be sure because we never did a biopsy, but my vet believes that this is what I lost my heart boy Crisco to in September. Same chain of events -- thought it was a pulled muscle, did an xray of his shoulder, etc. One day I just noticed that he had a giant lump, like 4 inches across, in his armpit, that wasn't there before.

In our case, he lived with this from spring until September, when we ultimately lost him to a tumor in his spine. Was the whole thing a result of hemangio? That's what my vet thinks. It's conceivable that the armpit lump really was benign, and the bone tumor in his spine was unrelated, but probably not. Probably hemangio. And until it sprang up in his spine, he lived happily and relatively pain-free for about 6 months. The lump caused him minor discomfort and that was all. He was nearly 14.

I can only wish you more good times with your boy. Enjoy every minute of him. I am so sorry you are going through this, as I know too well how it feels. Sending you many hugs and good wishes.

I'm so sorry. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Sending lots of hugs for you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so very sorry. A friend lost her dog this way, but she didn't know so she never had the chance to spoil him knowing his time with her was short. I will keep you in my prayers as you take this journey.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry to hear this. When I lost Bailey to cancer in December I had 0 hours, but brought her home for a day to say good bye. I wish I had 7 -10 more days but it wouldn't have been enough. It's never enough. I hate cancer! Please enjoy every single moment you have with Sobe and know that a lot of us are here for you, and unfortunately, have been there. :grouphug Somedays life just sucks :weep

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross