My Sobe Has Cancer

we all know that you will keep him as pain free as possible and cherish these last days, but remember you need to be kept pain free as well, emontional pain hurts as much and then some. i know, we lost emily in less than a month from her diagnosis of osteo. many greyhounds will continue to eat to the very end, it's that hunger and drive to eat from being kenneled. so look into his eyes and he will tell you when only that conditioned eating response is left and be strong. it's difficult, but they deserve your strength and guidance. i am so sorry another person and greyhound has to go thru the misery of cancer.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry to read about Sobe. It is truly heartbreaking and so many of us can relate to what you are going through. We knew we had two weeks left with Hobbes when he was diagnosed with spinal cancer. We lost our fawn Lucy within 5 days to stomach cancer. You feel so helpless and your heart hurts but I can look back and find comfort in those very special moments I spent with them during those last days. Every moment was precious, every quiet time sitting and stroking their fur is a place I can go to in my mind and think of how wonderful it was to hold them.

Make some wonderful memories with Sobe, spend your time allowing his calm presence to comfort you. The bond & love you share will always be a part of you.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

So very sorry to read this. :grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest redreed

I am so sorry!!! Knowing you are going to lose them and that incredible horrible feeling of helplessness... You and DH and Sobe are in my prayers.

:grouphug

I'm so sorry. I completely understand.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest Energy11

I am sooo sorry to hear this! But, as you said, even with the misdiagnosis, there is noting that can be done with this type of cancer. Best thing to do, and I am SURE you already do this, is spend as much quality time with Sobe as you can, and spoil him rotten! Maybe, even take him for rides, ... doing what he likes, within reason of his discomfort.

CANCER does SUCK! I lost a husband to it, and two greyhounds, so I know how this feels! Sending you lots of love, many hugs, and millions of prayers ... Dee and The Five

Guest greysonly

I am so sorry. Cancer is so evil. I too took my baby to the vets thinking he just had a bad tooth that was why he wasn't eating. One day he was very picky with his food took him to the vets did a number of tests and he had a tumor the size of a grapefruit in his belly. I know how devastating it can be. My heart breaks for you. Sending hugs and strength. Spend every minute with him as possible. :weep:grouphug You are in my prayers.

I am so, so sorry to hear this. As I read your words, I'm sitting here just crying for you and Sobe. I understand your pain-we lost Smiley just 3 weeks after his diagnosis of osteo and how I wish for just one more day. Please, please don't beat yourself up-you have done and are doing everything possible for your Sobe. If you can, relish every second with him. Spoil him rotten. And please know that I am holding you close in my thoughts and sending you both gentle hugs. If you need anything, I'm here.

Having been there, I do understand. At best, it's horrible.

Like you said, it's our burden to bear- we don't let them suffer, we do the suffering. The price we pay for loving them.

I am so sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

My Alan had hemangiosarcoma. He was fine in the morning and that evening when I got home he was weak and panting. It turned out to be hemangio - so sudden - he was bleeding into his belly from his spleen and it had spread to his heart. We had to free him of his pain. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I am very sorry to hear about Sobe, that is devastating. As others have said, you cannot blame yourself. Cancer is a brutal disease that takes many pups and humans, it's not something we can beat yet. Keep Sobe close, spoil him rotten and give him a hug from me. We'll be thinking of you as you go through this difficult time.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sad and sorry to read this. Make memories, take photos, and I hope his days are warm and pleasant for the both of you.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My heart aches for you. We've been where you are. There is not much that can be said to make it better. All I can say is that I'm sorry and that he has been very lucky to have someone who loves him so much. One day and one hour at a time and then cherish the memories.

Guest budsmom

I am so sorry. This disease is the most evil, vile monster ever. Cherish every moment and know that there are lots of people here for you.

I'm so so sorry.

My heart dropped when I saw the post title. Then started crying when I read how bad it was. I just lost my Pearl to cancer of the spleen but it turned out to be fibrosarcoma. But I did lose my BRindle to hemangio. I had 9 hrs notice.

My heart is just breaking for you.