We Are Joining The Cancer Club

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kristin I just saw this, sending big hugs for you and Ace :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Sending lots of prayers for your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope she has success with her chemo and lives a long and productive life. Good luck.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

So sorry to hear about this diagnosis. I'm keeping you and Ace in my thoughts. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Jordan, thanks for that information. Yes, it's technical but I was able to muddle through it a bit.

Her particular type of CLL is a T-cell type. I really don't know much about what that means so I'm hoping Dr. C will have some insight. I haven't heard from him today...maybe tomorrow.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Yikes - I've been attacked by HTML!

I'd better just sum up what I found:

In dogs, chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) appears to be primarily a T-cell disease although B-cell CLL has

also been reported (3:1 ratio)

B-cell CLL and T-cell CLL appear to have

somewhat different patterns of disease progression. B-cell CLL affects

the bone marrow early in disease and may be considered

a primary bone marrow disease. T-cell CLL typically does not affect the

bone marrow until late in the disease and may spread

from the marrow after splenic involvement.

Good article, but technical

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest budsmom

I believe that one of our GPA-WI adopters has a dog with this, and he has lived 3 years since diagnosis. He has good days and not so good days, but overall has done very well. His vet originally misdiagnosed him as having the more severe kind of leukemia, so his people have been really happy with how he's done. I'm sure that Dr. C will give you some great information that will help you and Ace get through this. He's the best, and I can't think of anyone I'd rather have on my side. :bighug

Sending prayers and hoping for a more gentle form of cancer if it has to be cancer. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Still nothing from OSU...wonder if Dr. C is out of town...

I'd like to get going ASAP on this, because that's just the way I am...I don't want to wait around for anything once I know something needs to be done.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Still nothing from OSU...wonder if Dr. C is out of town...

I'd like to get going ASAP on this, because that's just the way I am...I don't want to wait around for anything once I know something needs to be done.

Sorry Ace has received this diagnosis. Please do not think I am being unsympathetic, because I am in fact very sympathetic to this, but Ace could have gotten a much worse diagnosis. When we were first investigating Luke's increasing lymphocytosis, Dr. C said it certainly could be CLL & if so, dogs often live out their normal life span. Luke does in fact have CLL, CD8+ T-cell to be precise. Judging from his lab work he had it when I adopted him almost 3 years ago. For a variety of reasons, I have chosen not to use chemo. However, that does not mean you shouldn't. The chemo used for CLL is a very low dose with minimal side effects reported.

Luke just had his 13th birthday last week. He ate his way through his birthday & loved every bite of it. We did have a scare last spring. His blood work was awful & the docs had us pretty scared. In the end no one knows what happened, but it seems some mystery infection had hold of him. He came through that fairly quickly & has done really well since. He goes to meet & greets a couple times a month, practically drags me into the stores actually. He started agility, on baby sized equipment only, at age 11 & continued until 12 yo when his arthritis forced me to pull him from classes. He was the most enthusiastic dog in class & everyone adored him. In short, you would never know the boy has any form of cancer.

I hope he stays with us for years to come but should his condition take a turn for the worse, I will at least know we tried to give him the best while we had him. I don't know what type of CLL Ace has but we got lucky with Luke. His is the type with the longest life expectancy. There is not a lot of info out there to be had on CLL in dogs. If you PM me your email address I will send you the few things I have. Dr. Anne Avery at CSU was helpful. CSU is where Luke's flow cytometry was done. That was before it could be done through IDEXX.

Basically I wanted to tell you that, though of course things could take a turn for the worse, right now at least 3 years & possibly longer into the disease, my guy is doing really well. His blood work looks bad but, but Luke looks good. I hope Ace manages as well.

Laura

Edited by kudzu

Thanks for asking, Jordan...I still have no replies from Dr. C...does anyone know if he's out of town?

She continues to seemingly be okay...the past several days she's seemed extra tired though...

Last Saturday I was at the vet picking up Sutra's meds when a pup I used to take care of at the kennel came in...cancer...they were told osteo, but, he had a big growth at his wrist that burst...seemed more like a hemangio to me. Anyway, they ended up letting him go that day :cry1 It was so sad, and just made me hate cancer more than I already do.

I'm hoping to hear something soon from Dr. C so we can get some sort of a game plan. I know this is not the worst possible cancer for her to have...in fact if she has to have cancer, this is probably the best to have. I still want to treat it though!

I got an email from him on 2/5. It was just a "hang in there" in response to my telling him the results of Bailey's hi tech ultrasound and first chemo treatment. Make sure you cc the others there too. greyhound@cvm.osu.edu is for Dr. Marin and another to include is Greyhound.Clinicals@cvm.osu.edu His is also guillermo.couto@cvm.osu.edu

I would be specific in that you are asking for their consult in the chemo for treating Ace. Attach the biopsy and testing results too.

good luck

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Will it facilitate things if your vet calls directly for a consult? Or if you called instead of e-mailed?

I know you're anxious for answers and for a definitive plan -- any of us would feel the same way. Don't be afraid to call or e-mail again, Kristin. Perhaps one of the other vets will be more accessible.

Hang in there. Hopefully you'll be in touch with someone tomorrow.

J

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Thanks Mo...I didn't know about any of those emails...I just knew greyosu@osu.edu and couto.1@osu.edu. I'll re-send what I sent before and see if I can get any info.

The vet that ran the bloodwork for me (the one I've not been particularly fond of), does not do chemo in their office, so they were going to refer me to someone else. I'd like to go to Dr. Berger, if he's willing. So, I'll call Dr. Berger tomorrow, tell him what's going on, and see if he'd be willing. If OSU sends us the drugs that we need and someone will tell Dr. Berger what needs to be done, I don't see how he couldn't help us.

No info, just healing thoughts and prayers. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I just sent an email to all of those email addresses...hope they don't think I'm a freak! :lol I mentioned that I would like their input on this, and if Dr. Berger is willing to administer the chemo, I would like OSU's guidance. Hopefully I will hear something. I know they're all very busy and it's wonderful work they're doing there...I'm just thankful that I have email and phone access to such knowledgeable people!

Thank you all for the good thoughts. Ace and Fritz just turned 9 on Friday. We celebrated with vanilla ice cream, Ace's favorite. She's still eating like a champ and is playful, but, seems very tired once her burst of energy is over.

I heard from Dr. C today! :yay

The chemo drug she needs is chlorambucil, and it's a pill. She also needs a tapering dose of prednisone. He asked me for her weight and told me he would give me the dosage information. He says the chlorambucil is inexpensive and there are usually ZERO side effects! :)

So, it looks like we're on our way! I asked him about when we should do bloodwork, etc and what we should be looking for as treatment progresses.

I have a call in to Dr. Berger but he wasn't in today. I'm sure he will call me tomorrow evening after the clinic has closed for the day and he actually has time to sit and talk.