Zero Is Seriously Trying My Patience

Hi All,

The Zero saga continues. Even with baby locks on all my bottom kitchen cabinets and chairs in front of them.....I was thawing out some venison in my upper kitchen cabinet above counter, on top of a stack of plates and the cabinet closed. Zero managed to open the cabinet and get to the venison. I was only gone for four hours and he did this. Yesterday he got into my dish drain rack ad chewed up a few Glad plastic sealing containers. I'm really at my wits end. Many of you made suggestions:

Walk him more - I'm doing this and it doesn't seem to make a difference

Muzzle him during the day - I'm gone 10 hours a day, isn't that cruel to muzzle him for that long?

Crate him during the day - same deal, is it humane to crate him for 10 hours a day?

Dog walker - Can't afford every day. I just don't have the money for that.

I thought I pretty much dog proofed my house, but he's getting into things I never thought he'd get into. The sky is the limit at this point. I guess I'll try muzzling him all day first, but if he gets it off I know he'll chew it up and swallow the pieces. HELP

-Tony

Edited by aryon92

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lanielovesgreys

I muzzle all day. It's 6 hours and I don't feel it's cruel at all. It fits her face, it doesn't hurt her and it sure as hell makes my life easier. Sounds to me like you have to crate or muzzle and lots and lots of people muzzle every day.

You can always put peanut butter on it, or some kind of treat so it'll be a fun thing for him.

Muzzle! I know, it sounds like a long time, but he can do everything he wants to do except eat inappropriate things with it on. Better that then expensive surgery or worse.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Mine are muzzled when I'm not home

1 is kenneled

Nothing wrong with it and they are used to being kenneled

Don't leave dishes out- I had the same problem. Sparks would take whatever was in the sink so I had to stop leaving anything in the sink.

You can hook the muzzle through his collar so it can't come off.

Leave a frozen kong out for him

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Talented fellow!

I'd try muzzling first. Assuming you're using a kennel (basket) muzzle, not cruel.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Can you shut him out of the kitchen? We close both doors to the kitchen when we go out, simply so Sid doesn't go down splat on the tile while we're out and hurt himself scrabbling to get up.

Could Zero be bored? How old is he? Can you give leave him a kong or a treat ball, or both? I don't crate, and never have. I don't have a problem with crates used properly, but it seems to me that a determined dog like Zero might destroy the crate and seriously injure himself if left in one for hours. I also appreciate your concern re the muzzle.

Seems to me he'd benefit from having something to chew while you're gone, and also maybe wear him out with a good long walk/run before you go?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Any way to block access to your kitchen?

Muzzle or crate isn't a bad thing when they are getting into things they shouldn't. Try it, see if it works.

That would be really hard because one area has a large arch instead of a door. I could baby gate him to 1/2 of the house so he can't get to the kitchen. He's so determined though I'm afraid he'd jump over the gate, try to jump over and get stuck mid way or try to crawl under it.

Mine are muzzled when I'm not home

1 is kenneled

Nothing wrong with it and they are used to being kenneled

Don't leave dishes out- I had the same problem. Sparks would take whatever was in the sink so I had to stop leaving anything in the sink.

You can hook the muzzle through his collar so it can't come off.

Leave a frozen kong out for him

already leaving the frozen kong and plenty of toys out for him

Can you shut him out of the kitchen? We close both doors to the kitchen when we go out, simply so Sid doesn't go down splat on the tile while we're out and hurt himself scrabbling to get up.

Could Zero be bored? How old is he? Can you give leave him a kong or a treat ball, or both? I don't crate, and never have. I don't have a problem with crates used properly, but it seems to me that a determined dog like Zero might destroy the crate and seriously injure himself if left in one for hours. I also appreciate your concern re the muzzle.

Seems to me he'd benefit from having something to chew while you're gone, and also maybe wear him out with a good long walk/run before you go?

He's got plenty of stuff to keep him occupied: frozen Kong with almond butter and food, he has many squeaky toys and a heavy duty Nylabone

Edited by aryon92

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest SueG201

he is bored plain and simple, he really does need a companion, I had this problem with my first greyhound and as soon as

I got her a friend all destruction stopped, greyhounds are pack animals and you are leaving him alone 10 hrs a day with nothing to do, he needs a friend !!!

he is bored plain and simple, he really does need a companion, I had this problem with my first greyhound and as soon as

I got her a friend all destruction stopped, greyhounds are pack animals and you are leaving him alone 10 hrs a day with nothing to do, he needs a friend !!!

Sorry, can't afford another greyhound right now. Also, that's not always the fix. Thanks though, I appreciate your recommendation though.

My pair given the opportunity would destroy things if left that long as its a game, so a 2nd dog is no guarantee and then you also have the extra costs involved.

My pair given the opportunity would destroy things if left that long as its a game, so a 2nd dog is no guarantee and then you also have the extra costs involved.

exactly :)

I FEEL your frustration! :( we're in the same boat with Rainey. No matter how much we "baby proofed" she got into more and more things, the last was a garlic braid which is toxic (and this was 2 weeks after bloat surgery, so we couldn't make her vomit :(). What we ended up doing is double gating her in the basement (she jumps a single gate) and removing EVERYTHING (and I mean EVERYTHING) in the area. It sucks because the room is our family room, where we spend 90% of our time, and it's an empty and barren room now but it's what we had to do. Since our house is a tri-level, we put the gates on the stairs going up to the main floor -- one regular wooden baby gate that is attached to the wall with 2 eye hooks, then a 2nd gate that is above it, attached to the post on the main floor, then hooked to the bottom gate with just a carabinere. You could probably just do 2 regular, one on top of each other, in the archway? You may want to reinforce them with the eye hooks, he sounds pretty determined.

we also leave a kibble stuffed kong (with pumpkin sealing the end, frozen) but I'm sure that only entertains her for a short while :lol I worry about a muzzle (we thought of doing the same with Rainey), if it has a stool guard, if they vomit during the day I'd worry they'd choke, but that's just me and I'm super paranoid :lol

good luck with everything!!!! Sorry you're having to go through it all (BTW, Rainey got WORSE, like Zero did, as time went on :()

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sounds like your getting very frustrated. I see Sunshines little "adventures" as humorous. :lol I would baby gate him in a single room with the TV on. Bedroom, livingroom, den, whatever room he likes the most. Most pups feel safest in the bedroom. I would keep some Rescue Remedy in all water containers to help keep him content and muzzle in that single room to begin with to just break the habit of getting into stuff. If he does get the muzzle off and eats it... Won't be the first time any pup ate plastic! ;) You can even go to the drug store and buy moleskin to line the part of his muzzle that goes over his nose. It's in the foot dept.

You can slowly let him back out into the entire house, but YOU need a break for your sanity. ;) And that's perfectly fine and normal of ya.

Oh and I got my 2 baby gates (you can stack them for jumpers) at Kmart for $12 each. Cheap old wooden ones.

Edited by jgeiger2006

------

Jessica

Daisy is muzzled whenever we are gone, even if it's only for ten minutes. She doesn't even notice it. Unlike other dogs, most greyhounds are brought up being crated for long periods of time and wearing muzzles whenever they are out of their crates. Most greyhounds I've met don't even think twice about having a muzzle on. They can still drink, eat kongs, etc with the standard greyhound kennel muzzle on. If you don't already have one, I recommend getting one from GEM Greyhounds, they are a greyhound group out of Michigan with great prices and great service!

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

I muzzle all day. It's 6 hours and I don't feel it's cruel at all. It fits her face, it doesn't hurt her and it sure as hell makes my life easier. Sounds to me like you have to crate or muzzle and lots and lots of people muzzle every day.

You can always put peanut butter on it, or some kind of treat so it'll be a fun thing for him.

I find this an very interesting phenomenon, because I have never in my entire life met anyone who muzzled their dog except Greyhound adopters. Perhaps it's cause we HAVE the muzzle? I'm not saying it's wrong to do--I just find it interesting!

Sounds like Zero is bored.

Are you giving him a Kong? Have you tried a Buster Cube? That's a plastic thing you put kibble in and he has to bop and roll it around and make the kibbles come out! How about a "Kong Time"? That's a fancy little doo dad that spits out a small Kong every 15 minutes or so, 4 total. All these things helped George through his early days. You also might consider a DAP diffuser. Not sure they work or not, but it won't hurt

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

is there a possibility that he's not feeling well? has he been to the vet?

Treasure is muzzled when i'm not home. it doesn't seem to bother her a bit. she is muzzled for her own safety, as she chewed up my laptop AC adapter while it was plugged in! try to think of it as a safety (his safety) issue, rather than being cruel.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Hi All,

The Zero saga continues. Even with baby locks on all my bottom kitchen cabinets and chairs in front of them.....I was thawing out some venison in my upper kitchen cabinet above counter, on top of a stack of plates and the cabinet closed. Zero managed to open the cabinet and get to the venison. I was only gone for four hours and he did this. Yesterday he got into my dish drain rack ad chewed up a few Glad plastic sealing containers. I'm really at my wits end. Many of you made suggestions:

Walk him more - I'm doing this and it doesn't seem to make a difference

Muzzle him during the day - I'm gone 10 hours a day, isn't that cruel to muzzle him for that long?

Crate him during the day - same deal, is it humane to crate him for 10 hours a day?

Dog walker - Can't afford every day. I just don't have the money for that.

I thought I pretty much dog proofed my house, but he's getting into things I never thought he'd get into. The sky is the limit at this point. I guess I'll try muzzling him all day first, but if he gets it off I know he'll chew it up and swallow the pieces. HELP

-Tony

Hi

Haven't read the other replies, but I'd be inclined to agree with you that muzzling or crating a dog for 10 hours a day is not ideal.

10 hours without a break or any stimulation or seeing anyone is long time to be on his own, so he's probably just trying to entertain himself by getting into things. Whilst a muzzle or crate might help protect your stuff, it won't make his day any less boring and might even make it worse for him. How can he enjoy kongs, or play with toys if he is muzzled? I think if you want a happy dog who is content to stay home all day, then you need to think about it from the dog's POV.

I'd try barring him off from the kitchen with a gate or door across the kitchen and giving him loads of things to occupy his mind - treat balls with his food inside if he eats kibble; several frozen kongs that'll last him a while; hide these things behind cushions and stuff so he has to seek them out, you could also give him a 'destruction box', a cardboard box that he's allowed to rip up with treats/kongs/toys hidden inside sheets of newspaper (OK a little mess to clear up when you get home).

It sounds like you don't really have a dog who is particularly content to sleep for 10 hours when you're out, so he needs other things to do to make the day less long and boring and maybe tire him out mentally.

Training sessions are also good for tiring a dog out, can you try to fit a couple of short clicker training sessions (5-10 mins a session) a couple of times a day?

If you could find someone to come in during the day and take him for a walk, that would be good, even if it were every 2nd day.

Edited by Amber

Sounds like your getting very frustrated. I see Sunshines little "adventures" as humorous. :lol I would baby gate him in a single room with the TV on. Bedroom, livingroom, den, whatever room he likes the most. Most pups feel safest in the bedroom. I would keep some Rescue Remedy in all water containers to help keep him content and muzzle in that single room to begin with to just break the habit of getting into stuff. If he does get the muzzle off and eats it... Won't be the first time any pup ate plastic! ;) You can even go to the drug store and buy moleskin to line the part of his muzzle that goes over his nose. It's in the foot dept.

You can slowly let him back out into the entire house, but YOU need a break for your sanity. ;) And that's perfectly fine and normal of ya.

Oh and I got my 2 baby gates (you can stack them for jumpers) at Kmart for $12 each. Cheap old wooden ones.

What is "Rescue Remedy"? Thanks for the advise. I'll definitely go get the moleskin

Daisy is muzzled whenever we are gone, even if it's only for ten minutes. She doesn't even notice it. Unlike other dogs, most greyhounds are brought up being crated for long periods of time and wearing muzzles whenever they are out of their crates. Most greyhounds I've met don't even think twice about having a muzzle on. They can still drink, eat kongs, etc with the standard greyhound kennel muzzle on. If you don't already have one, I recommend getting one from GEM Greyhounds, they are a greyhound group out of Michigan with great prices and great service!

I'm actually using this muzzle which I believe I got from GEM. It's on their website

muzzleblue_sm.jpg

I find this an very interesting phenomenon, because I have never in my entire life met anyone who muzzled their dog except Greyhound adopters. Perhaps it's cause we HAVE the muzzle? I'm not saying it's wrong to do--I just find it interesting!

Sounds like Zero is bored.

Are you giving him a Kong? Have you tried a Buster Cube? That's a plastic thing you put kibble in and he has to bop and roll it around and make the kibbles come out! How about a "Kong Time"? That's a fancy little doo dad that spits out a small Kong every 15 minutes or so, 4 total. All these things helped George through his early days. You also might consider a DAP diffuser. Not sure they work or not, but it won't hurt

Yes I give him a frozen Kong, leave stuffed toys for him and a nylabone

Edited by aryon92

is there a possibility that he's not feeling well? has he been to the vet?

Treasure is muzzled when i'm not home. it doesn't seem to bother her a bit. she is muzzled for her own safety, as she chewed up my laptop AC adapter while it was plugged in! try to think of it as a safety (his safety) issue, rather than being cruel.

just had a vet visit Thursday, he's fine

I might be hesitant to crate for 10 hours at a stretch simply because my own dogs can't "hold it" that long and need access to a dog door to relieve themselves. Zero might actually do okay with it. But muzzling with a basket-style muzzle, especially if you line the part that hits the nose with something soft, is perfectly acceptable IMHO. It prevents him from destroying your house and possibly getting injured by eating something harmful. I've seen greyhounds tossing stuffies with muzzles on, so yes they can still play with toys. They can't grab them and squeak them, but they're quite adept at using their feet and the muzzle itself to swat toys around. I would buy a good baby gate and keep Zero out of the problem areas. If he can't get in there, he can't cause trouble in there.

But ultimately, all of these are treating the symptoms, not the cause. It sounds like he still has a lot of puppy exuberance and is making trouble not out of malice, but out of boredom and pent-up energy. Is it possible for you to come home during lunch breaks, or to hire a trusted neighbor to take Zero for a walk for a small fee? That would be cheaper than hiring a pro.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

No. and No. What's inhumane is to not intervene to stop his destructive behavior before a) he gets into something really bad for him and/or hurts himself; or B) you get really, really frustrated with him.

There's absolutely nothing cruel about a plastic kennel muzzle. Some greyhounds are drama queens about them, but they're not going to harm him. On the other hand, the longer he continues on an escalating pattern of destruction, the harder it will be to break.

How old is he? How long have you had him? What activities do the two of you do together? Tell us more about him

Oh my gosh, what a yummy dog treat! LOL

How about putting the stuff you want to thaw out in the microwave? Or the refrigerator for that matter.

If you're talking about 10 hours, that should be plenty of time to thaw out, shouldn't it?

It just seems to me that keepiing the food out of reach would be easier than keeping your dog out of the food.

Once they find these wonderful things, they don't forget too quickly.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg