Girly Girl Diagnosed With Os 12/3

Guest ronka68

Guest ronka68

I started asking questions under another topic but a kind soul suggested I start a new topic and so I am here. My 6 year old female was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in her left elbow this past Thursday. She is my first greyhound (I have two) and my heart dog. We have contacted Dr. Cuoto and I will be overnighting her xrays tomorrow.

My vet has given me a Chinese herb called Bone Stasis to give her in the meantime. I also switched her food to a cool protein (duck, turkey or fish). I also got some Artemisia and tried giving her some of that last night and it made her sick. Poor sweet girl threw up in her bed, threw up on my arm this morning, threw up on my leg when I was trying to comfort her. Serves me right.

She is also taking Rimadyl (I hate this stuff, but it works) and Tramadol for pain control.

I spent Friday on the internet at the OSU site and Bone Cancer Dogs and another site researching. I have read many of the topics in this discussion group. I swing from hope to dispair.

She has a fractured rear right hock which retired her and it was not fixed at the track. The rescue group fixed it when they got her to Maine 3-4 days later but at that point it was set and they did the best they could but it has never been right. She favors it and frequently stands holding that leg up. She can walk on it and run on it, but I'm also very scared that they would rule her out as an amputation candidate because of this leg.

I feel like I need to be DOING more. Like we're just sitting here while that horrible tumor that I can clearly see in the x-rays is growing and eating that bone and at any second, if it hasn't already, may metastasize (so far they can't see anything on xray).

I'm having a tough evening dealing with this which is disappointing after having a pretty good day. She is laying on the couch with her head in my lap as I type this. Her usual position. I can touch that traitorous elbow that feels so normal. Looks so normal.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any experience with this, but want to send good thoughts to you and your girl as you travel this road together. Un/Fortunately, there are lots of people on GT who have gone through this with their dogs and can share their experiences with you. Gentle hugs to you and Girly Girl. :grouphug

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Hugs to you. I am sorry. I have been this route and did the amputation and chemo and still only had 5 months.

I have one hound that because of other health issues would not be a candidate for amputation either so I understand the dilemma you are having.

Spoil, love & keep her comfortable for as long as you can. Maybe OSU will think she is OK for the amp, but ultimately you know your girly girl best.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

No personal experience with osteo either, but just wanted to say I'm sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest eaglflyt

I'm praying for both of you. Bless your hearts.

I'm thinking and guessing that since she can walk and run on her leg with the old hock injury that she may be fine for surgery. I hope that Dr. Couto and his team have good news after reviewing the x-rays of your girl and that they recommend quick treatment. I'm praying that you will have a long time together with her to come.

:grouphug:beatheart:hope

:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I can offer no advice, but, just wanted to say that I am sorry you were handed this awful diagnosis. I wish you and your sweet girl all the best.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

:grouphug No words, just keeping you in my thoughts and prayers

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Energy11

I am VERY sorry to hear this, especially at such a young age. A good friend of mine lost her seven yr old boy to OS.

I, personally do not amputate. It is more of a personal decision, and others have had great success with it. I am more for palliative care (pain management). Our Max was diagnosed very early, at 11.5, and had almost three good months with us, and was able to move out of Florida with us, too.

I'd contact OSU, explain everything, and go from there. Lots of love, hugs and support!

Sending prayers for you and your girlie.

Please make sure that what you are giving is Artemesinin, not Artemesia. The latter is poisonous.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Whistle

I'm sorry to hear about your girl. I just went through this with my "heart hound." Spoil that little girl rotten and cherish every moment.

We'll be thinking of you.

I'm sorry you and your girl are facing OS. You are in contact with Dr. Cuoto, which is one of the best things you can do for her.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

grouphug.gif I don't know what to say other than I will be praying for you and Girlie Girl and I serve an awesome God. Don't give up. Try to have faith. I remember a story in CG not too long ago that highlighted several long term survivors.hope.gif

I have not been down this road but I know you will receive some good advice/suggestions from other GT folks that have gone down this road. I just wanted to let you know that my deepest thoughts are with you and Girly Girly. I am also sending many prayers

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

the chinese herbs could be upsetting her. i know, i have used acupuncture and chinese herbs for years. start w/ a much smaller dosage and slowly add more as she tolerates them. for a duck based food, i use eagle pack duck and oatmeal. i know in chinese medicine, barley is considered a cool grains. i wonder if the oatmeal is o.k. you herbologist is trying to keep the wind/heat down. check out cool foods on an acupuncture site, that might help. good luck.