Quincey The Cheaterhound

rycezmom

Quincey seems to have been in this family forever. He has always been here, unobtrusive, quiet, and the love of my mothers life. He joined our family in a very odd way. He came home to his first house, not ours but the next door neighbors, as a fluffy ball of fawn fur, about 22 years ago. A cute puppymutt from the pound. He lived happily there for about two years. He knew everyone in the neighborhood and they knew him. My mother, at the time, had a gnarly tomcat named William Edward. He was a card carrying thug of a tomcat complete with the usual scars and proclivity for bring home dead things. At somewhere around the age of two, there happened a feline canine pact, unspoken yet understood, that the two of them would seemingly be happier if they changed homes. The neighbors started buying cat food along with the dog food and Mom started buying dog food along with the cat food. The little girls next door would put William Edward in the baby carriage and allow them to cuddle the raggedy cat like a baby doll. Quincy started spending more and more time with my mom spread out on the family room floor or up on the bed with Mom. It took several months for Mom and the neighbors to figure it out but eventually they got it.

The neighbors have been gone for many many years, the little girls grown and married. My mom, now 85 years old and beginning to show the wear and tear of Alzheimers that is slowly changing her, taking her away from us piece at a time, has grown old along with this wonderful old dog Quincy has been her constant and loving companion for these past twenty years, keeping her company as her own brood grew up and scattered to their own homes. He had become her reason for going for walks, puttering in the kitchen with his food and the connection with the neighborhood pups and their owners. The fire rescue crew down the street had come to know Quincey too because of his daily walks with Mom. They knew where the key was to Moms house and not to let Quincey out when the occasional need arose for them to come to take Mom to the hospital. Their phone calls to me always ended with "don't worry about Quincey, he's in the house and he has food and water". He loved to come to my house and visit with whoever the current hounds were at any given time. He could never keep up with them in the backyard but he sure as heck tried.

We, as a family, have known that his time with Mom was growing short. Mom had noticed too. He was almost deaf. His eyesight was fading. His soft fawn fur was almost totally white. He was slowing going off his food. I would see my mom gazing at him sadly sometimes, appearing to take in every detail of this canine person that was so close to her heart, as though willing herself to remember in the midst of her fading memory.

Quincey, quietly lying on his bed this morning, had what is presumed to have been a massive stroke. My daughter helped my mom get dressed and together they took him to the vet to send this very old and wonderfully loving pup to the Bridge. My mom is heartbroken. She told me that all of the hounds that have gone before, William Edward, and my great grandmother, all wanted him with them. It is the thing she repeats through her tears.

I cry for the loss of what he has been to my mother and this family for the last twenty years. We, as a family, have been blessed to have had him and the joy he has brought to our mom in her own waning years. We will miss him dearly.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest mcsheltie

I am so sorry. I wish I had the right words to say. Quincey was such a precious gift. I am so glad your Mom has you to help her through this. I send hugs and prayers to your family.

How terribly sad and heartbreaking for you all but especially your mom. What a precious gift Quincy was to her.

Prayers for peace and comfort.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 My sympathies to your family. My heart aches for your mother.

Godspeed Quincey.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry to hear of your families loss :( I feel very sad after just reading your post, so I can't even begin to imagine how you all feel :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

What a touching story. I am so very sorry for your family's loss. Many gentle thoughts to your mother and your family.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

What an amazing life. I'm so sorry he had to leave.

Godspeed, special Quincey.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Leslie, I'm so sorry.

What a wonderful story, but what a sad ending. I know he had a wonderful life, and his job was to make so many people happy & he didn't leave until he knew his assignment had been complete. Thank you for sharing this with us. :beatheart

I'm so sorry for your family's loss of Quincey. Godspeed Quincey! f_yellow

Edited by sweetdogs

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

What a tender, perceptive, and eloquent tribute. Not only did you share your precious Quincy with us, but we feel as if we know your wonderful family as well. Such a profound loss for everyone who loved him. But your Mom....she especially is in my prayers.

Do you have any pictures of Quincy? I'd love to see what this special guy looked like.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown