Jaynie May Have Acute Kidney Disease

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woo hoo!!!! :yay :yay :yay :yay :confetti :confetti :confetti

Mary, I would be honoured to give one of Loca's special collars to Jaynie. Would that be OK? In fact, I could drop one off Saturday evening if you would like, as I'm in TO all weekend for work.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Just got back from the clinic. Jaynie's values are pretty much what they were yesterday, except her platelets are down to 123. Dr Norris said not to be alarmed, that they would move around a fair bit. Urine culture came back negative, nothing yet from UNC. He hadn't re-done the ultrasound since Tuesday, and said we could do one today and I could join him.

He said the kidneys, while not normal-looking, did look better than on Tuesday. The spleen though, remains very enlarged. Her BP is good - it had been kind of high. They will run more complete bloodwork tomorrow, so we get updated liver and other values.

He's thinking she can come home "soon". He wants to give things some time and then decide what to do, presumably based on how things are looking after whatever interval. It will be wonderful to have her home and I am sure she will be much happier.

She's now out of the crates completely. They have a few "stalls" for lack of a better word - 3-sided enclosures with low walls - in the treatment area, and Jaynie is now in one of those. Much nicer - gives her a lot more room and she has more to look at.

As a funny aside - she really enjoyed the ultrasound. She was in a padded V-shaped holder that kept her in a nice secure roach, the light was low, and she got a bit of a tummy massage. She actually fell asleep and I was so sorry she couldn't just stay there awhile.

I always feel so much better after our visits.

Oh sweet girl! Just don't go getting any ideas trying to get extra ultrasounds/tummy massages! :wub:

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

I've just caught up on yesterday's and today's updates--there's been some terrific progress over the past two days, even though you probably feel like you're running through jam. I hope she continues to improve at the same pace (or faster). I really like the sound of "home". :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Seems like we keep getting more and more good reports :thumbs-up

I can't wait to see the post on "she's coming home"

Happy dance for sure on that day :)

and only a greyhound could fall asleep during an ultrasound :lol

Any news today?

Dr. Norris called early this morning. They are going to start reducing her fluids. The goal is to wean her off completely, and then make sure her kidneys can function without the support.

He said he'd call again this afternoon when her bloodwork was back and I'll ask him about timeline for the above.

Just back from a nice long visit with Jaynie. I love the stall where she is now - I can just hang out with her there as long as I want, out of everyone's way, and life just goes on around us.

They had put an e-collar on her, as for the first time she started chewing her IV line - while it's too bad she has to have that thing on, hopefully the chewing is a sign she's feeling better. I left them with her bite-not collar when I brought her in last week, but her nurse seemed to think this was better. The stall is big enough that she still has lots of room to move around, even with this thing on.

Her fluids have been at 3x. They dropped her down to 2x today, and seem to have decided she wouldn't pee as often because she was on a nice folded up comforter with a polar fleece blanket on top. Very comfy. Perhaps because of the nice bedding, she roached a lot while I was there, including a full flag-pole roach a few times, which made everyone who passed by smile. As she always does, she also slept a lot. I pet her the whole time, whether she's awake or not, but stopped when she launched into a big chase dream, complete with nose twitches. Somewhere in her imagination, her prey was going to be in trouble, and I didn't want to spoil things.

Her bloodwork is good on the whole. I didn't see the report, but Becky, her nurse, said the urea was 7.x (I forget the decimal value) and her platelets are 191!! Her stubborn creatinine is still high, though slightly less so at 243. It's the number they are watching most closely as they drop the fluids.

It's likely she won't be discharged until Monday, and that's fine with me. Much better they should drop the fluids slowly, and she should be in a stable state while Dr. Norris is off for the weekend. We can still visit every day.

The idea that her kidneys might not function on their own really scares me, but hopefully the improvement in her blood values bodes well. And I told her firmly to get working on that creatinine.

Guest Energy11

It does sound like she is improving day, by day! Surely hoping she can come home on Monday!

Love, hugs and prayers to you and Jaynie! Dee and The Five

My gosh, she's doing so much better. We'll keep our fingers crossed that by Monday, she'll be good to go home!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

It sounds like she's doing wonderfully well. I hope she has a good and somewhat dryer weekend, and is able to come home on Monday.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)