Jaynie May Have Acute Kidney Disease

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds really promising. I can't wait to hear she is home.

When Hobbes was ill his blood work was very similar to Jaynie's. I remember the creatinine which at it's peak reached 1230umol/L being one of the last things to drop down. His kidneys still weren't functioning very well on discharge which manifested itself in excessive drinking (up to 16 cups a day) and very frequent urination (almost every hour). Slowly over time though his kidneys did heal and today he has very few lasting effects from his ordeal. Once the infection/underlying cause is gone acute kidney disease will usually reverse itself but it can take some time.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Dr. Norris called a little while ago. Everything on Jaynie's full blood and biochemistry panel is great except for the creatinine (down though, to 227) and her potassium is still not quite normal but getting close. He is pleased with the results, and says it is positive that her creatinine dropped even though they are reducing fluids.

He'll call again tomorrow with another update. Assuming the trend continues, I think we're very close to bringing Jaynie home.

At this time last week I was in countdown mode to Monday, not knowing if Jaynie would make it until her first appointment with Dr. Norris. Now I am in countdown mode to Monday to hopefully bring her home! What a difference a week makes!

Rickie and Arlie are going to be very happy dogs this weekend because I am going to give them treats liberally, then give away what is left as most of our goodies are not suitable for Jaynie, who will for sure be on a protein-restricted diet. It just wouldn't be fair to give the other two things that she loves but can't have.

I hope there are good-for-teeth things to chew on her allowable list!

Dr. Norris called a little while ago. Everything on Jaynie's full blood and biochemistry panel is great except for the creatinine (down though, to 227) and her potassium is still not quite normal but getting close. He is pleased with the results, and says it is positive that her creatinine dropped even though they are reducing fluids.

He'll call again tomorrow with another update. Assuming the trend continues, I think we're very close to bringing Jaynie home.

At this time last week I was in countdown mode to Monday, not knowing if Jaynie would make it until her first appointment with Dr. Norris. Now I am in countdown mode to Monday to hopefully bring her home! What a difference a week makes!

Rickie and Arlie are going to be very happy dogs this weekend because I am going to give them treats liberally, then give away what is left as most of our goodies are not suitable for Jaynie, who will for sure be on a protein-restricted diet. It just wouldn't be fair to give the other two things that she loves but can't have.

I hope there are good-for-teeth things to chew on her allowable list!

:yay:yay

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

Wonderful news!

I have a whole selection of low protein treats I give Goldie! I will PM you with that info later on. I get them throught Petfood Direct, well, I get everything there, as I only have a Wal-mart closeby, and don't buy anything for mine there. :-(

Hugs to you and Jaynie from us!

Wonderful news! There is a great dog treat cookbook that has lots of low protein treats in it....."You Bake'Em Dog Biscuits" by Janine Adams. Not sure if you're a baker, but maybe this will help you find suitable options. PM me & I can copy off some recipes for you if you'd like.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

At this time last week I was in countdown mode to Monday, not knowing if Jaynie would make it until her first appointment with Dr. Norris. Now I am in countdown mode to Monday to hopefully bring her home!
Yay! Go, Jaynie!

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

:yay :yay :yay

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Just got back from a great visit with Jaynie. She had her head up when I arrived, and was awake for much more of the visit than previously. Many kisses and a couple of good grooming sessions - acceptance of kisses managed by mom accordingly. Her kennel attendant somewhat deflated me when I mentioned her brightness, saying she hadn't seemed so bright this morning, but he agreed she did now.

Her ID tag is taped to the back wall of her enclosure, and someone has drawn little red hearts all over it.

To my surprise, there was a note posted on the wall also, that she was a lepto possible, and to wear gloves. I must ask Dr. Norris about this because the impression I got initially was that while she was a slight positive for 3 lepto strains on the titer test, he didn't think it meant much since she had been so recently vaccinated, and the test couldn't distinguish between antibodies due to the vaccine vs. an actual infection.

She's down to 54.5 lbs. It looked like she'd eaten all the prescription food they gave her, but none of the rice mixed with cottage cheese. There was a note on her chart that she had eaten hand-fed scrambled eggs. I brought more scrambled eggs for her today, hopefully she will keep eating it.

Toward the end of the visit it was time for her walk - and here is the pinnacle of the visit - she had perfect poop!!

We'll visit with her again tomorrow. I told her if she kept up the good healing work, there were only two more sleeps and then she would be home.

Guest Energy11

From what you are saying, she is improving, and the "brightness," is becaues YOU were there! She misses you, and misses being home! I honestly think you will see improvements in huge bounds, once this little princess is home!

Lots of love, many hugs and thousands of prayers from us here, to you, Mary, and your Jaynie! Love, Dee, Curfew, Goldie, Oakly, Staggerlee and Cari (*the food Diva :-)