Jaynie May Have Acute Kidney Disease

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke with Dr Norris this AM, Jaynie's values are pretty status quo. Her creatinine today was 230, so she's fluctuating within a pretty narrow range. It's good of course, that it hasn't continued to go up, though I was so hoping it would go down.

Regarding the blood in her urine, he said it could also be a vaginal discharge. So they are going to culture her urine and also a swab from her vagina to figure out what's going on. I should be there for one of her walks this afternoon, so will hopefully get a sense of whether there's and change in the appearance of her urine.

He surprised me a bit by saying they would probably take her off fluids altogether today, and see how she does. I had assumed they'd bring her down a bit more from 1.5x before doing that, but apparently not. He didn't mention coming home, I guess the earliest will be tomorrow, so they can monitor her for however-long off fluids. (Edited to add - I just counted - she's been on fluids for 12 days.)

He knows I'll be there this afternoon, so if there is any more news, the UNC tick panel results in particular, hopefully he'll drop by for a moment with an update.

Thank you for your continued good thoughts - must say yesterday's rising creatinine and the blood in her urine really gave me a turn.

Off to make her eggs. Also, think tonight I'll prepare an omelet for our dinner - with all this recent practice they are coming out looking quite professional.

Post-visit update:

Saw Dr. Norris. Nothing in from UNC yet. With regard to the blood in her urine, he said based on the swab he's pretty sure the blood we saw is from Jaynie's vigina. Not sure what to make of that. Her spay was exactly two weeks ago. In any event, the swab and the urine will both be cultured.

It was a good visit. Jaynie knows the drill and started searching for the ziploc with eggs as soon as I got there. Otherwise it was much as usual - some sleeping, some roaching. She seemed more alert today - took more of an interest in dogs being walked by, or people talking nearby.

The IV is out so she's self-sustaining now. I am both excited and apprehensive to hear her numbers tomorrow.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Guest Energy11

Good idea to monitor off fluids, before sending her home. Sure do hope that tick panel comes in too.

Boy, you are going to be sooo glad once this is over, and she is home!

Keep us posted, and sending lots of love! Dee and The Five

:) :) :)

She's coming along nicely.

Hoping for more good news tomorrow, and maybe a welcome home photo.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Just :D

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Another great update! :confetti

The tests from UNC do take a while - when we sent Mia's off, I think it was like 10-14 days!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Mary,

She's obviously feeling better which is a very important part of the picture! Keeping all appendages crossed that tomorrow brings better blood test results and UNC results. How is her urine specific gravity? And her BUN? Platelets? It's a big picture to remember to look at. Try not to zero in on one thing......easier said than done. I know. I did the same thing - lived from blood test to blood test.

Still praying as hard as I can!

Linda

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Jaynie is coming home today YAY! Her discharge appointment is at 2PM.

Her BUN is 6.3, up from 5.x yesterday, but within normal range (2.14-9.8 mmol/L)

Creatinine is up to 250. Not a huge change, but up rather than down which is disappointing. Normal is (44-141 umol/L )

Dr. Norris didn't mention platelets and I forgot to ask. I can do that at discharge, but expect they are fine or he'd have raised the subject.

He wants to wait til her recheck to do a urinalysis - toward the end of this week / start of next week.

No culture or UNC results yet.

She'll be coming home on a bunch of meds and on a prescription diet. He wants to keep her diet pretty strict for the next 5 - 6 weeks, til we see where she ends up both for her kidneys, and the enlarged spleen. She's been getting canned but dry is available, and I prefer the idea of dry. I'll have to brush her teeth more often to make up for no hard chews, and also check out the resources Dee and Carole mentioned, for which thank you, belatedly.

I'll try to get some pictures posted of her, either later today or tomorrow. I am so excited and relieved to be bringing her home!!

:clap I'm so happy to see that she will be home with you!

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Energy11

WOWEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What GREYT news, Mary!!!

She will do soooo much better at home! Goldie liked the canned KD, if that is what Jaynie is eating now. You could always use the KD kibble as treats? Just a thought.

I am sure you are very excited! :-)))