Slipped Disc In Neck

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Guest Che_mar_Cody

I'm asking for any experience with this. Cody was taken to the vet on Monday and was diagnosed with a slipped disc. He has little movement from side to side in his neck and getting up...well it breaks my heart to hear him scream like he does, since he's not a drama boy.

We have strict instructions regarding movement and he's on predisone for 2 weeks. If I see no signs of any relief I have to take him back on Thursday, than we'll go the MRI and surgery route. I'm not sure on this since me and anesthesia have issues. He's in fantastic health other than this freak incident so I'm so torn.

Asking for prayers for my boy and if your hound has been through or had something similar please let me know how it turned out. Did you have to do a life style change for your pup?

I'm an emotional mess because I see the pain in his eyes. He's always been very expressive with them and the little spark is not like it once was, so any help is greytly appreciated.

Unfortunately it's not all that uncommon with our ex-racers. It happened to my girl too-she was so bad she was almost non-weight baring on her front leg--after 2 weeks of pred and a lot of babying she recovered well. I only use a harness for her now.

Guest Che_mar_Cody
Unfortunately it's not all that uncommon with our ex-racers. It happened to my girl too-she was so bad she was almost non-weight baring on her front leg--after 2 weeks of pred and a lot of babying she recovered well. I only use a harness for her now.

so glad that she recovered!!! Is she still able to do stairs/car rides etc.?

Guest ctgreylover

Tony tends to pull a muscle in his neck. The first time it happened was the worst experience. I raced him to the evet, thinking he was dying. I was totally freaked out. He could not lift his head up or turn it to one side. Every movement caused him to scream and he hacked like something was stuck in his throat. After a few days of going back to the vet, trying different meds, without xray or mri, Dr Burnett put him on prednisone. He recovered so quickly. Vet felt the mri was then unnecessary.

Since then he has hurt himself a few times but I see it coming on and get him his muscle relaxer right away. The prednisone caused him to pee in the house so I got a belly band. Also, since we lived in an apartment, I got a harness for walks since using a collar was too painful.

I hope its as simple as what happens to Tony and nothing more serious. But it is the scariest thing to see them in such pain.

so glad that she recovered!!! Is she still able to do stairs/car rides etc.?

Yup--fully recovered-you would never know she had a neck injury--if your boy is still painfull ask your vet about starting him on Tramadol to give him some pain relief.

Pam, I'll keep you and your big gorgeous boy in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Oh no, I'm so sorry...poor Cody! My advice is to make darn sure he doesn't do anything to make it worse. Limited movement and lots of rest are crucial. Muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatories and pain meds should help. If you don't have a harness, get one. No more collars, except for decoration. Try to keep him from jumping up or down...although if necessary, jumping up will be less painful for him than jumping down. So, if he doesn't like to be helped, let him jump into the car, but don't let him jump out...lift him or get yourself a ramp. Same for jumping on and off furniture. Leash walks for potty only...he has to rest. Don't let him outside without the leash...once he starts to feel better he will want to celebrate by romping and that's a no-no.

Wanted to add about stairs: I would make them off limits, but if that isn't possible, alway be there with him, don't let him have free access to them. Have his harness on him when he goes up and down in case he needs help...but he may not want you actually holding onto it.

Edited by grey14me

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Che_mar_Cody
But it is the scariest thing to see them in such pain.

You are so right. It honestly just makes my hear race like I was struck with electricity.

Ty Nancy!!

Yup--fully recovered-you would never know she had a neck injury--if your boy is still painfull ask your vet about starting him on Tramadol to give him some pain relief.

Thank you for the information, I have it in my phone for the visit if need be.

Oh no, I'm so sorry...poor Cody! My advice is to make darn sure he doesn't do anything to make it worse. Limited movement and lots of rest are crucial. Muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatories and pain meds should help. If you don't have a harness, get one. No more collars, except for decoration. Try to keep him from jumping up or down...although if necessary, jumping up will be less painful for him than jumping down. So, if he doesn't like to be helped, let him jump into the car, but don't let him jump out...lift him or get yourself a ramp. Same for jumping on and off furniture. Leash walks for potty only...he has to rest. Don't let him outside without the leash...once he starts to feel better he will want to celebrate by romping and that's a no-no.

Wanted to add about stairs: I would make them off limits, but if that isn't possible, alway be there with him, don't let him have free access to them. Have his harness on him when he goes up and down in case he needs help...but he may not want you actually holding onto it.

We are allowed none of the following: walks, car rides, stairs, jumping, slippy floors or for a minimum of 2 weeks. Feed bowls have to be elevated (which already are) toys are put away, no playing with them. Cody's not allowed on furniture so that's not a problem, which I'm thankful for that. Play dates with Daz, Marvin, Mac, Emma, Polly, Tess and Lydia are canceled until further notice. I even had to cancel all my meet n greets for this month.

Thanks for all the advice and prayers so far.

Pam, we went through the same thing with Canyon, which resulted in surgery last March. It was very tough going, but he is back to 100% now!!! I'd be happy to communicate with you and support you along this journey. :grouphug Please feel free to PM me.

Crate rest, or confining him to a very small area (with you) is extremely important right now. He should only go out to relieve himself, and must be leashed. It's all about minimal movement and rest.

I am so sorry you are going through this with your beloved boy! Canyon's screams still haunt me. :(

Many prayers for your Cody! :hope:hope:hope

But it is the scariest thing to see them in such pain.

You are so right. It honestly just makes my hear race like I was struck with electricity.

Ty Nancy!!

Thank you for the information, I have it in my phone for the visit if need be.

We are allowed none of the following: walks, car rides, stairs, jumping, slippy floors or for a minimum of 2 weeks. Feed bowls have to be elevated (which already are) toys are put away, no playing with them. Cody's not allowed on furniture so that's not a problem, which I'm thankful for that. Play dates with Daz, Marvin, Mac, Emma, Polly, Tess and Lydia are canceled until further notice. I even had to cancel all my meet n greets for this month.

Thanks for all the advice and prayers so far.

Pam...I know you (your vet) said a minimum of 2 weeks, but I would suggest much, much longer...probably an absolute minimum of a month. Tons of hugs and prayers :grouphug:hope :hope

Oh, and maybe look into acupuncture at some point as well...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Oh no :cry1 Poor Cody!! :(

I have no experience with slipped discs, but I am sending lots of good thoughts your way!!

:grouphug:goodluck:grouphug:candle

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Che_mar_Cody
Do you have an acupuncture vet?

not that I'm aware of. Some one in my group told me about that and stated it worked wonders. I'll probably inquire more about it after the two weeks and use who they did.

Anything I should know about them?

Minerva experienced a ruptured disk a couple of months ago. We had it removed, and the only lasting pain is primarily financial!

The neuro vets were fantastic, the clinic handled everything- and (frankly) their professionalism and near-casual attitude towards the surgery were two things that kept the anxiety level on our part from becoming unbearable.

Miss Zipperneck herself shortly after surgery:

P1010024.jpg

A couple of weeks later:

P1010021.jpg

Today, you can't even see the scar. She's almost 100%- when she does a full-body shake, it's done with more restraint than she used to. But when she's released from the back door, she charges out at full speed, full gallop, loud bark, and the usual misbehavioralism we have come to know and expect from her. Only the full-body shake differs from her pre-operative status.

Plus, the vets said she had the largest windpipe of any dog they'd ever seen.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Che_mar_Cody

How old is she? Oh that's such a relief that she's back to almost normal, especially the ornery part. Thanks so much the post and the pictures.

Edited by Che_mar_Cody

Guest momofevie

Pam, I'm so sorry to hear about Cody. :( Evie had a similar neck issue this past spring and like ctgreylover, I thought Evie was dying; most terrible, helpless feeling to watch and hear her. We had to do the same medication/bed rest routine as Cody but were allowed short, slow walks after about 2 days. Hardest part was keeping Evie from playing. I felt so bad putting her favorite toys away. Vet said that it could happen again or never bother her another day in her life. As for her recovery, well, all I can say is you saw her at Vicki's house. :lol:rolleyes:

Gentle hugs to Cody. :bighug

How old is she? Oh that's such a relief that she's back to almost normal, especially the ornery part. Thanks so much the post and the pictures.

She'll be 7 in November; surgery was about a month or two ago. The vet (neurosurgeon in training, doing all the pre-op workup for one of the three board-certified neuro vets they have on staff) gave us a ballpark 85% chance she'd be back to normal afterwards, and later noted that was a conservative figure given her age and constitution (i.e., piss and vinegar).

I mean, wownotcheap, and although she's had a few more incidents where she yiped even weeks after the surgery, nothing in the past week or so that I can think of. Back to normal.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

We have had a couple similar incidents with dogs of ours. All resolved without surgery. First couple days were the worst until anti-inflammatory took hold. I usually kept them off the stairs and from any jumping up/down, running, or shaking toys for last sign of pain + 3 weeks. Then phased in normal activity over the *next* 3 weeks.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lots of Prayers, Hugs and Kisses :wub:

I hope he's feeling better todays

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

Oh Pam- I am so sorry to read about OUR cuz, Cody.

I did not read through the other posts so if this is redundant, I apologize.

Is acupuncture an option at this point? If you can take him and it buys him some comfort, it's so worth it.

Please know you are both in my thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project