Leecadia, "callie", 6/17/97 - 9/2/09

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Two weeks ago, I fully expected her to at least get through the winter and enjoy doing it. I had the new terraced platform steps I'm going to have put on the extended deck all planned. Her favorite little girl (Reese, age 6) was looking forward to their next walk and she was moving more freely and smiling more widely than ever before. She had only been with me 10 months -- I thought we'd have more time.

My daughter "found" Callie for me in August of 2008 -- she was listed as available by Linda Jensen. The reason Meri spotted her was that she was a Sports Special granddaughter; my first Greyhound, Harley Stardancer, was a Sports Special son. They aren’t as common as some bloodlines. I was approved to adopt her and Linda planned her transport for a couple weeks after her upcoming spay—I don’t know what the vet did, but I sure wouldn’t use them.. she ended up with a pinched nerve in her back and couldn’t walk at all for weeks… it was not until October that she was finally deemed healthy enough for transport from Kansas. That transport knocked the wind out of her sails yet again and she dropped more weight and lost some mobility.. so she stayed at the North Shore kennel at Twin Rivers resting until she’d recovered a bit and I finally got to bring here home at the end of October.

Meri will tell you how my face fell when I first saw Callie—this poor, frail old dog hobbled over to me and I thought my God, she shouldn’t have been transported at all—what am I going to do. But the trainer who had driven her over to meet me said “she’s got such heart, let her rest up a bit and she’ll make you fall in love with her”. Truer words were never spoken – how can I tell you what a beautiful lady my babygirl really was.

Callie enchanted my three boys, then Shiloh and Sammy and Slick Callan; it didn’t matter that she walked like an old lady and cantered like a hobby horse—they adored her. We got into the Vet’s within a couple of days but what she needed, other than worming and some Metronizodale, was really good food, fish oil, supplements for her joints and a lot of love. Within three weeks her old dead coat was replaced by shining red fawn fur and her eyes sparkled. Her feet all had signs of some broken toes, but she placed them carefully and certainly as she chased Slick Callan around the yard happily. She never got to do any really long walks, but the short walks she took were as good to her as if she had just won a stakes race – her joy was palpable.

When we were just hanging out in the evening, Callie would often ‘talk’ to us—her voice not a bark but a whisper. When she needed out in the mornings before I was up, she could do a ‘silent shout’ that I could hear clear across the house – and she never once had any kind of accident inside. All I had to do was look at Callie and she’d struggle to her feet and beeline straight to me for lovies.

In December she was with me as I let Shiloh go to the Bridge after his hindquarters gave out for the final time. In January she lost 26 teeth, and was healthier for it. Through the winter and early spring she pranced about the yard on carpets of fresh hay that I got down to protect my princess’s damaged feet from the ice and snow… in June she helped me say goodbye to her napping buddy, Sammy.

I’ve never adopted a girl greyhound before. She had her uncle, Harley’s sense of humor (Sports Special offspring mostly do); she had his mostly upright ears. She brought a presence to my house that I have never experienced before.

Callie had bad days and good days. She was taking S.O.D. and Boswelia for her stiffness and pain and it helped IMMENSELY—she had the Best last two months. She would, however have days occasionally where she got cramps in one rear leg and needed warm packs and massage to get past that. And then on Monday of this past week she had her second ‘bad leg day’ in a row. On Tuesday she was even worse.. I took her in to the vet. I couldn’t see my regular vet and it was suggested that we try prednisone as it was suspected it was her back. This was the same night (and the same vet) where Meri’s boy Bull got his OS diagnosis via x-ray.

Wednesday morning she was no better, in fact she was so much worse after a 6 a.m., very painful, time outside that I couldn’t help her stand.. even touching her made her scream. Of course I had to let her go—bless our special house-call vet for coming over at 9:30 that night after a 15 hour day. Her passing was easy and peaceful… I have great peace myself that it was totally the right thing. But—but just last week I really thought we’d have more time … and again I learned … do not put small kindness or simple pleasure off for tomorrow. We never truly have more time beyond the day we are in. In her absence, Leecadia has claimed an enormous chunk of my heart—and there she will remain, forever.

LeecadiaKelly1-1.jpg

CallieTheRacer.jpg

CallieLookingUpatYou.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Sage, I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in knowing that your sweet girl is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Your family has had a hard week.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest PhillyPups

Sage, I am so very, very sorry for your loss of your sweet Callie :bighug

Rub with the angels Beautiful Callie, you are with some of the very, very best -

Sage, your tribute to Callie was very moving. I am so sorry she didn't have more time with you. You gave her a lifetime of love and happiness in the 10 months she was with you. That look on her face in the last photo just shows that she knew how much she was cherished and cared for. What a beautiful sweet girl.

:f_pink :f_pink :f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your beautiful lady - RIP Callie.

:f_pink:grouphug:brokenheart:gh_lay:brokenheart:grouphug:f_pink

… do not put small kindness or simple pleasure off for tomorrow. We never truly have more time beyond the day we are in.

I couldn't agree more ...

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

What a beautiful tribute...I am so sorry for your loss

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 She was a gorgeous girl. I'm glad she found you, even if she could not stay long enough.

Godspeed Callie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greytbookert

I'm so sorry!

There was something so special about Callie. When I look at her pictures, I can't help but see a little bit of my Mama Ro in those eyes. Something that just makes you instantly fall in love. Callie knew love when she had to leave you. Run free, pretty girl!

Oh, Sage, I'm so very sorry.

My velveteen girl CoCo will meet Callie at the Bridge to show her around.

:f_pink

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I am so sorry for your loss. What a touching tribute for a beautiful girl who obviously touched you as much as you touched her. I also thank you for the reminder that life is too short and precious to waste.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so sorry she had to leave. She sure did know love and caring.

God speed beautiful, run with all the Angels, pain free. Please continue to watch over all those who love you, and help to heal your mom's broken heart.

:gh_run

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm so sorry!! :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

what a beautiful, beautiful girl and such a wonderful tribute. I'm so glad you found each other :grouphug:cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway