Lexi (elexia Shades Of Nite) - My Heart Iggy

greyhndz

It's taken almost a week for me to even attempt to post about Lexi. I've lost 7 hounds since 2001, but I have never grieved as deeply as I am for Lexi. She will always be my heart and soul, my Mommy Girl, my eternal shadow and truster of no one except her mommy. My soul mate.

I adopted Lexi sight unseen - I wanted to bring home a 2nd iggy for my 1st iggy, Bailey, to have as a playmate (the 5 Biggies weren't interested). Lexi was brought up from Georgia the first week in January 1997, just after her 1st birthday.

lexi3.jpg

oldpix034.jpg

And as you can see, Bailey and Lexi got along famously....

bailzlexi.jpglexbailbed2.jpg

BTW, Lexi was the daughter of Praveen's Buddy, who went to the Bridge just a few short weeks ago. Lexi loved her daddy, and there was no doubt that she was his daughter:

PHOTOSROOERS229.jpg

Lexi became a talented rooer and the leader of the chorus.

lexiroo.jpg

About 3 years ago, her mother and brother joined our family. Here's Lexi with her mom, Penny, who died shortly after this photo was taken. Her brother is still with us.

PHOTOSROOERS572.jpg

My beautiful Mommy Girl.

lexicirclesm.jpg

2 years ago, Lexi became ill with relapsing fevers, lethargy, intermittent lameness, and was finally diagnosed with immune-mediated polyarthritis. She was also found to have kidney disease, likely part of her autoimmune disease. It took about 8 months, 2 courses of prednisone and leflumonide (an immunosuppressant) before Lexi's IMPA was brought under control. Her kidney disease, however, progressed. She had several rough times with urinary tract infections, dehydration, fevers, and illnesses requiring IV fluid and antibiotics, both in hospital and at home.

lexiseizure011small.jpg

I created a mini-hospital room for Lexi in my spare bathroom. Here she is, getting IV fluids and feeling pretty darned awful.

lexi123003sm.jpg

But my sweet, brave girlie always bounced back, and within a couple of days, would be jumping up and down, prancing throughout the house, swiping food and just being herself.

But about 3 weeks ago, she again became ill, and again had a urinary tract infection. And again needed IV fluids and antibiotics. She spent the day in hospital getting the fluids, and then I'd bring her home after work and continue them at night. But this time, Lexi didn't bounce back, and she was in renal failure that didn't respond to treatment.

Lexi did not trust most people, and did not like to be handled or picked up. She had no veins left for IVs. Having to constantly go to the vet's for bloodwork was torture for her, as was my having to give her any type of treatment at home, like subQ fluids. She began to lose her trust in me, and that led to my vet and I deciding that we needed to do what was right for Lexi, and that was to keep her comfortable, give her the best quality of life possible, spoil her rotten, and let her have her freedom so she could once again feel safe with mommy, and in her own home. We knew Lexi's time would be very limited.

On August 22, last Saturday, Lexi told me she was ready, and my vet, who is also my neighbor and who has been Lexi's advocate for the past 2 years, came to our home, and sent Lexi on her journey while I held her in my arms. It was a peaceful and quiet transition to the spirit world, and I could feel her ascent.

Knowing Lexi has been set free from the illnesses that she has fought so valliantly does bring me comfort, but my heart is broken and, despite having 6 dogs still with me, the house is empty, as is my heart.

I take comfort from the words of Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince, when I think about my Angel Lexi.

"When you look up at the sky at night, since I'll be living on one of them, since I'll be laughing on one of them, for you, it'll be as if all the stars are laughing. You'll have stars that can laugh!

"And when you're consoled (everyone is eventually consoled), you'll be glad you've known me. You'll always be my friend. You'll feel like laughing with me. And you'll open your windows sometimes just for the fun of it... And your friends will be amazed to see you laughing while you're looking up at the sky. Then you'll tell them, 'Yes, it's the stars. They always make me laugh!"

lexistar1.jpg

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very sorry that you had to say goodbye - Lexi sounds like a very special little lady.

:f_pink:grouphug:brokenheart:gh_lay:brokenheart:grouphug:f_pink

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest gretzky

Oh Jordan I'm so sorry. That was a beautiful tribute to your special girl. I know you fought tirelessly for her and she knew she was lucky to have you as her Mom. Godspeed little one.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 She was a beautiful and special girl.

Godspeed Lexi.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh, Jordan, I'm so very sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry I never got a chance to meet Lexi.

It's so hard to do what's best for them when it's time to let them go. You were so brave.

What a beautiful tribute.

:grouphug:f_pink:grouphug

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Beautiful tribute for a beautiful soul - inside and out. I am so very sorry for your loss.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Godspeed, Lexi.

And St. Exupery's right -- there will come a day when your mama will look at the stars and laugh, because you're there laughing with her.

*sniffle*

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

I'm so very sorry :cry1 :cry1 :cry1

that was just a simply beautiful tribute :wub: :wub:

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest greyt2love

I'm so sorry. That is a beautiful tribute and your love for Lexi comes shining through. Having had my IG, Alex, for just over 2 months now, I am learning how quickly these little ones burrow themselves into your heart, becoming forever a part of you. Rest in peace, sweet Lexie, and laugh with your mom from the stars !

Jordan, I am so so sorry she had to leave, she fought a tough battle with dignity and with grace, and leaves behind a legacy of love.

God speed baby girl, run now with all the Angels, and please continue to watch over your mom and help heal the hole in her heart.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

She was a trooper and a real character, wasn't she? I'm so sorry she had to leave you.

Twinkle, twinkle little Lexi star.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry fory your loss. Lexi was a beautiful girl & when it stops raining, I'll look for her laughing star. Godspeed Lexi! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Jordan, I am so sorry for your loss. Lexi was a beautiful girl. She went through so much and she is at peace now.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds