Neck Surgery Questions

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did you find out what the $0.33 was for? That's a hoot.

Hoping your girl is doing well this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

the 33 cents is just to make you feel like they didn't just pull a number out of thin air, but actually itemized things and added them up :P

glad she's doing so well :yay :yay

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

She has a touch of diazepam in her system along with everything else, so she's very much loving lying around and doing pretty much nothing. I just took this a couple of minutes ago; not bad for having been operated on Friday.

A little graphic, but not too bad considering what she's been through.

P1010024.jpg

Most of the bruising is on the side on the floor; I figure they must have pushed her trachea to the left in order to get to the spine.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

She looks great. Her incision is not graphic at all. Sending a ton of good healing vibes her way.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Lookin good with that incision. The anterior approach for cervical spine surgery is very common. A lot of our patients have ACDF's (Anterior Cervical Decompression and Fusion). Whether the approach is anterior or posterior depends on the location/procedure/access required to get the job done. Prayers for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I think her incision looks very tidy -- maybe the 33 cents was for double-knotting the stitches?

I chopped up her usual raw food to make eating easier for her; the vet informed us they'd never seen a trachea as big as hers, which makes me wonder how much larger Coco's must be given that he's swallowed whole tom turkey necks.
But, um, food doesn't go down the trachea (windpipe) -- unless they're aspirating. Trachea is the ringed tube in the front of the neck going down to lungs. Esophagus is just posterior to the trachea, going down to the stomach. There are various procedures the body performs automatically during a normal swallow to prevent food from going down the trachea. Sometimes surgery in this area may create problems swallowing depending on what muscles get moved around/cut, but fortunately it doesn't sound like this is a problem for your girl.

dog_mouth.jpg

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Oh wow, I'm just seeing this for the first time. i"m glad things turned otu well and hope she has a quick recovery.

Glad also you were able to find a ride. We have an Element and aren't far from you(Dobson/Ray) so if you ever need transportation help again please let me know! I'd be happy to help!

But, um, food doesn't go down the trachea (windpipe) -- unless they're aspirating. Trachea is the ringed tube in the front of the neck going down to lungs. Esophagus is just posterior to the trachea, going down to the stomach. There are various procedures the body performs automatically during a normal swallow to prevent food from going down the trachea. Sometimes surgery in this area may create problems swallowing depending on what muscles get moved around/cut, but fortunately it doesn't sound like this is a problem for your girl.

Can you tell it's been a while since I've done an endotracheal intubation? :lol

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

sorry I missed this!!! :( :(

sending healing prayers for your beautiful girl, AJ!!! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Can you tell it's been a while since I've done an endotracheal intubation?
If your dogs ever do manage to get a turkey neck down their trachea, you could publish one heck of an article. It would kind of be like the George Carlin routine about the kid who snorted an entire cheese sandwich out his nose -- "It's a miracle!" :) Hoping Minerva's continuing to do well. Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm sure she's probably handling all this better than Dad is! (pups usually do!)........ She looks beautiful. Dad you'll have to bid on the necklaces for her on the auction so she has something to look forward to when she gets her stitches out!

(hummmmm the way my day is going - does she have any of the good stuff to share!??........ only kidding :) )

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

Guest Energy11
She has a touch of diazepam in her system along with everything else, so she's very much loving lying around and doing pretty much nothing. I just took this a couple of minutes ago; not bad for having been operated on Friday.

A little graphic, but not too bad considering what she's been through.

Incision, and everything looks GREYT!

P1010024.jpg

Most of the bruising is on the side on the floor; I figure they must have pushed her trachea to the left in order to get to the spine.

Obviously the $0.33 was for the vial of smelling salts the gal at the counter used on you after you fainted while reading the bill.

Stoned and healing nicely--what a wonderful combination.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Wow - she looks great! I was expecting something much worse looking. (although as you say, the bruising was hidden by the floor).

Drake had massive bruising after his mass removals (the thread is still active here and if you look at the first few pages you'll see photos of that, and of how quickly they faded).

I've got my fingers crossed that the healing is uneventful and rapid.