Need Prayers - Update Post 104

Guest Ohiogreymom

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry to hear this. :( Best wishes for you & Reggie.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Ohiogreymom

Thank you all SOOO much! I'm at such a loss with this. I'm so sad and sick that every time I look at him I start to cry, and he's so sensitive that I'm afraid he'll pick up on my fear, and I know that's not good for him.How in the world have you all managed to do this?

The other dogs even know something's wrong. They're sniffing him more, putting their heads over him like they're trying to protect him. I've seen them do this before when he first came here, when he was so scared. Do you think they can smell the cancer? Is he scared, and they're picking up on that, or do you think it's my fear they're picking up on?

I know they say our dogs live in the here and now, and don't know they're sick, but I see a change in my dogs already! Probably my fault. If I could just stop crying! It's just so unfair to him. He's just starting to really LIVE!! God, I don't know if I can do this, and I'm sooo afraid his leg will break. He's not using it at all.

They sent him home on Tramadol, Rimadyl, and I'm going out to get Prilosec, Tagamet, or Pepsid. Is one better than the other? Does this sound like enough pain meds? He's also not wanting to eat, so I'm pretty much hand feeding him anything he'll have. I asked them to send his xrays to Dr. Couto since he's a blood donor there, and they're sending a digital cd. Is that as clear as hand delivered xrays? I want a second opinion just to be sure, but I saw the xrays, and even to my untrained eye, I could see the difference in the bone when compared to the other. Oh God, I HATE THIS! I'm really going to lose my boy. :weep:weep:weep:weep

Guest MorganKonaAlex

The digital xrays should be fine. I wish my Vet had digital.

Regarding meds: Rimadyl + Tramadol is a great start. They usually dose the Tramadol pretty low. Find out from the Vet now how you should increase it if/when needed and what the max. dosage is. Better to know now than needing the info in the middle of the night. If it's still not controlled with those, you can also add Neurotin (Gabapentin). Keeping ahead of the pain is very important. I use Pepcid, but have used one of the others if that's what I had handy.

It's possible the pain meds are unsetting his stomach. If Pepcid doesn't do the trick, you may want to add Sucralfate or carafate.

As to your fears about a broken leg:

Since Cosmo and I are going down this road just a bit ahead of you, I was told with her that the fact that she wasn't using the leg was a good thing. They're less likely to break the leg if they don't try to use it. It's amazing how quickly they can learn to do things on three legs instead of four. In her case, since we decided to amputate, it's boded very well in her ability to resume a normal routine. She lost her right front but today I saw her go into her beloved yard crater and disappear up to her tush. If she figured out how to do some remodeling in there on one front leg it wouldn't surprise me.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Update: It's Osteo. My poor Reggie...I feel sick :weep:weep

Update 7/28/09

So very sorry :cry1 wish we could turn back time for you..........enjoy each moment you have together

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

I wish I could be there to help you. We lost our two brindles to osteo, both diagnosed with it on the same day. Nebby was 9 1/2 and Clark 5 at the time. Nebby we pain managed with the Rimadyl and Tramadol and he stayed with us till he reached 10 yrs, with Clark we choose amputation of his right rear leg and chemo for 5 treatments He stayed with us for 11 months. It is amazing what they can do with 3 legs, he ran, took walks and made it to Dewey 2008 and the boardwalk in Ocean City.

Our other 2 knew their buddies were not quite the same and took to sniffing them, and kind of watching over them. I didn't want to upset any of them and tried to keep my spirits high around them. When I cried, I usually did it in the shower with the bathroom door closed or quietly outside. I did not want them to see me crying my heart out since they were so brave, I didn't want them to be upset if they thought something was wrong with Mom. Give them lots and lots of hugs, kisses and time.

Please know that I am sending lots of hugs and prayers your way. Take each day one at a time and enjoy your time together.

Linda

Oh no :cry1 :cry1 :cry1 I hate cancer!! :angryfire:(

I am so terribly sorry. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am so sorry for the update of osteo. We have been there, done that. Enjoy the time you do have together.

Hugs and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• 2 weeks later...

I saw your other post and wanted to let you know that you and Reggie have been in my thoughts. Hugs to you and your sweetie.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow