Bessie's Toe Amputation Update

Bessie had her dislocated toe amputated today. Called at noon, she was responding well. Went to pick her up at 3:30, they leashed her to come out, thought she felt hot. Temp was 107. They immediately iced her and wet her down and sent me to pick up Dantrium to counter act this. Temp went down to 103.9, they sent her home.

Got home at 6, temp 103.4. She went out and peed a quart, wanted on sofa upon return. When I picked her up she felt hot. temp. 104.8 Ice packs and cold compresses, called e vet, temp up to 105.6

At e vet, labs are good, iced saline running, lethargic and ignoring me. responded to two noisy dogs next to her. When I left there at 9:30 temp was still 105.

Picking her up at 7 in a.m. to either come home or to home vet. All vets i talked to said the anesthesia was appropriate, she just had this reaction to it. If she survives, she can never have anesthesia again. Malignant hyperthermia.

Please keep her in your thoughts. I have been going through the motions and dealing, it is just now hitting me. All this for a dislocated toe.

Thanks,

Sue

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no oh no oh no.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You and Bessie are in my thoughts.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Oh, sweetie! :grouphug:kiss2

That's one of our major worries in the O.R. with human patients. I never dreamed dogs could respond to anesthesia with malignant hyperthermia :eek

You might want to ask the vet about one thing, though, just for your peace of mind ... with people, if we know they are prone to MH, we can pre-medicate and change the anesthetic agents used, which means that in case of a need for emergency surgery, it can be done. That might be true for dogs as well :unsure

I'm so very sorry this happened! All for a toe :(

Miss Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Oh, I am so sorry. Every paw in this house is crossed for Bessie!

:hope:hope:hope

Deb

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

That is scary. A frined of mine had that happen with her boy after a dental. It took an overnight at the vets, but he came home the next day. Sending prayers that all will be well by morning.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

How horrible for you and Bessie. She is in my thoughts. And I firmly believe she will be fine!!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Praying for Bessie. Fight girl, fight.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Prayers said for Bessie.

Hugs,

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Bessie had her dislocated toe amputated today. Called at noon, she was responding well. Went to pick her up at 3:30, they leashed her to come out, thought she felt hot. Temp was 107. They immediately iced her and wet her down and sent me to pick up Dantrium to counter act this. Temp went down to 103.9, they sent her home.

They sent YOU to get the Dantrolene? Where did they send you to get it? They didn't have it there? Malignant hyperthermia is a medical emergency. ANY medical facility that uses anesthetics should have it on hand. I'm glad that your pup is doing better and send prayers for an uneventful recovery with no further complications.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Just got a report from e vet. temp is 103.6 but IV line is still in a bowl of ice. Vet is now more optimistic. When temp goes under 103 she will decrease rate of IV fluid and stop ice bowl and see if she is stabilizing.

Please keep praying. I appreciate it and know many of you have been in life threatening situations so you know what it is like.

hugs, sue

Miss Jennifer, our greyhound vet said that Bessie should never have anesthesia again. I read some things online that said

that injectables can sometimes be used. I am also a nurse, so I know that there is no advance notice unless there is a

family history. What a miserable thing to deal with. I just feel so helpless for my sweet Bessie. And of course all who have

come in contact with her in the last few weeks remark how sweet she is. She is one of these that people just easily fall in

love with, she is just adorable. I am trying so hard to be optimistic but this has such a high mortality rate and she will be

eleven in September. Must try to get some rest so I can be strong for her tomorrow.

Many thanks to all.

Sue

Your poor baby girl. :cry1 Holding Miss Bessie in my prayers for a stable evening and resolution of this problem so she can return home. :getwell:hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Oh no!!! Poor Bessie an poor Sue! We're so sorry this happened and are sending all our cooling, healing thoughts your way.

greysmom :D

Oh no!!! Poor Bessie an poor Sue! We're so sorry this happened and are sending all our cooling, healing thoughts your way.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

What a horrible turn of events. We will keep Bessie in our thoughts and hope for a full and speedy recovery.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Leslie, only one vet in the area had the medicine. For what ever reason, even pharmacies around here are not even

carrying it. When I called my regular greyhound vet she was excited that we found ONE bottle (and that was the last one

that they had.) She asked if I could try to find out where they got it, as she cannot find it anymore and wants it in stock. If

you know of a supplier, I know a few vets who would be very greatful.

Oh, I went for it to save time. All staff were with Bessie.

Thanks,

Sue