Poppy Is Poorly - At The Vets

Our little Poppy has taken a turn for the worse today and is at the vets.

Poppy has found our recent hot weather very hard to deal with. We got through the week with all manner of cold and cooling things (cold towels, water sprays, ice lollies, ice cream, mini milks ....) and we were very pleased when the weather finally turned cooler yesterday.

However (and quite ironically), she was very unwell this morning and was obviously in some discomfort, one way or another so we took her to see the vet just after 11am. Poppy had a moderately high telperature of 103 degrees and she was tender at the back part of her abdomen but the worst thing was her panting. She was given an antibiotic, a painkiller and a bronchial dilator and we were going to bring her home to monitor for 24 hours but as we were chatting to the vet, Poppy had a bit of a funny do and it was decided that she'd stay at the vets and have some oxygen therapy whils they waited for the medications to start working (if they were going to work).

I've just phoned to see how she's doing and apparently Poppy didn't fancy having oxygen (she wasn't in a fit state to be sedated and she wouldn't let them insert nasl tubes and nor would she tolerate an oxygen mask). The drugs however do seem to have kicked in after about an hour and a half and she is currently settled.

I've asked the vet to get her out of the cage and walk her around for a short time to see if this makes her go funny again (because we can get her settled at home but then even a toilet visit to the garden can make her pant again). They are going to do this shortly and then phone me.

If, having been out of her crate, she still remains stable, I'm hoping that they will do the ultrasound scan to see what the issue is within her abdomen.

If she doesn't remain stable, we have a big problem.

Please can you send 'remain stable' thoughts for Poppy

poppy280609b.jpg

Our little Poppy has taken a turn for the worse today and is at the vets.

Poppy has larangeal paralysis and she's found the hot weather very hard to deal with. We got through the week with all manner of cold and cooling things (cold towels, water sprays, ice lollies, ice cream, mini milks ....) and we were very pleased when the weather finally turned cooler yesterday.

However (and quite ironically), she was very unwell this morning and was obviously in some discomfort, one way or another so we took her to see the vet just after 11am. Poppy had a moderately high telperature of 103 degrees and she was tender at the back part of her abdomen but the worst thing was her panting. She was given an antibiotic, a painkiller and a bronchial dilator and we were going to bring her home to monitor for 24 hours but as we were chatting to the vet, Poppy had a bit of a funny do and it was decided that she'd stay at the vets and have some oxygen therapy whils they waited for the medications to start working (if they were going to work).

I've just phoned to see how she's doing and apparently Poppy didn't fancy having oxygen (she wasn't in a fit state to be sedated and she wouldn't let them insert nasl tubes and nor would she tolerate an oxygen mask). The drugs however do seem to have kicked in after about an hour and a half and she is currently settled.

I've asked the vet to get her out of the cage and walk her around for a short time to see if this makes her go funny again (because we can get her settled at home but then even a toilet visit to the garden can make her pant again). They are going to do this shortly and then phone me.

If, having been out of her crate, she still remains stable, I'm hoping that they will do the ultrasound scan to see what the issue is within her abdomen.

If she doesn't remain stable, we have a big problem.

Please can you send 'remain stable' thoughts for Poppy

poppy280609b.jpg

(This pic was taken last week when Poppy fell asleep on her 'pot' which had contained a mini milk and some water)

Further update:-

They let her trundle around the hospital ward for a while and then put her back to bed. She did pant but not as bad as she was earlier and she settled down quickly once she was back in bed.

The nurse just said that they've offered her a bowl of Chappie but Poppy is just peering at it I've said they need to add water and mix to a sloppy mess and then she may eat it. If not, they will need o add ice cream. The nurse giggled. I wasn't joking :lol

The thinking at this time is that the ultrasound will wait till tomorrow and that Poppy will stay at the vets overnight for continued monitoring and more drugs if necessary.

I've said that I will call again early evening for an update.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KyGrey

Sending prayers and good thoughts to Poppy. I know it's hard to deal with when you don't know exactly what you're dealing with. I'm hoping they find the abdominal issues soon and be able to do something for her.

:bighug :bighug

:goodluck

I hope she remains nice and stable, and that the ultrasound doesn't reveal anything too interesting.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh Bevd, your poor little girl. All my good thoughts and wishes are going to Poppy. :hope :hope :hope

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest Energy11

Your beautiful Poppy looks like our Goldie!

We are sending your lots of warm thoughts for Poppy, and her to recover quickly, and get home to you again!

Lots of Hugs for the North Georgia Mountains! :wub::grouphug:getwell:candle:hope

Feel much better Poppy Doyle!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Energy11
Sending prayers for the lovely Poppy. Can they tent a crate and feed oxygen into it, rather than directly into her nose?

That might be a good idea! (tent) They can also lay the oxygen tubing or mask by her nose. We used to do this with infants and children who wouldn't tolerate the tubing or direct mask. It is called "blow by" oxygen.