Loca Is Refusing To Eat

Loca, Loca, Loca...she has refused food since yesterday evening's vet visit, which means she hasn't eaten since yesterday morning. She is taking baytril, metacam and tramadol for a UTI and vaginitis. At what point should I be concerned? Would the batril be upsetting her stomach, resulting in her refusal to eat? She also seems unsteady on her feet now; would that be due to the tramadol? I know I seem nutso concerned, but she's 13.5 years old. Any advice would be appreciated :).

thanks

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Robin, did they give you something for her stomach? If not, I think that may be in order.

Misty stopped eating and right now I'm able to get her to at least eat some baked white fish, boiled chicken and baby food(just the meats)

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Might ask your vet about discontinuing the Tramadol and see if that helps her. Wouldn't think she would need both that and metacam, especially since she's got some antibiotics in her now. The Tramadol is more likely to cause wobblies.

Get some pepcid (generic is famotidine), regular strength (10 mg per pill). Then do:

1. Give pepcid (one regular strength).

2. Wait 30-40 minutes.

3. Offer food.

4. Right after eating, give Baytril and/or metacam according to schedule.

If she has to take meds more often than she's normally fed, save out some of her meal or give her a slice of bread (or something about that size -- handful of small biscuits, etc.) for step 3.

You can give 2-3 regular strength pepcids per day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Miss Loca! What are you doing, girlie?

Is she eating anything at all?

Does she seem like her tummy is bugging her? Salivating? Gurgling?

Contact your vet to find out, but I'd try some Immodium or Carafate to see if it helps entice her to eat.. and maybe some stinky fish (canned tuna or sardines).

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

i called the vet. they suggested omitting the baytril tonight if she refuses to eat. i don't want to do that because of the uti and vaginitis. i would rather cut out one of the painkillers.

All three meds can upset the stomach, especially metacam and tramadol. Why is she on those?

she has a UTI and vaginitis. she appears to be in lots of pain.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest TinasTroops

I know this grosses you out - but I can bring over some raw for her if you would like. Maybe see if she can eat that or I could cook it up for her.

Got ground chicken

tripe

beef heart

lungs

All kinds of yummy stuff.

I know this grosses you out - but I can bring over some raw for her if you would like. Maybe see if she can eat that or I could cook it up for her.

Got ground chicken

tripe

beef heart

lungs

that sound yummy :lol i can buy it from you for a pizza or something :). i would really appreciate that. call me a terrible Loca mommy but you know how grossed out i am by that stuff.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest TinasTroops

No I don't want any money for it silly!!!!

I have some thawed in the fridge - I'll call you tonight after I get home and fed my hounds and then come buy with some stuff for her. You may want to start also carrying a few cans of Sardines in the house. Just open the can and dump them on her food and that should help. No need for you to touch them at all :lol

Got ground chicken

tripe

beef heart

lungs

that sound yummy :lol i can buy it from you for a pizza or something :). i would really appreciate that. call me a terrible Loca mommy but you know how grossed out i am by that stuff.

Yes to Baytril upsetting the stomach, and yes to Tramadol possibly causing wobblies. What dosage of Tramadol is she on?

I second the suggestion to give pepcid before you try to feed her, then give meds once she has something in her stomach. Cooked eggs are really easy on the stomach, you could try scrambling some for her - may be easier for you than the raw food. :-)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Many of the NSAIDs say if there is appetite depression to stop the med immediately.

When Annie was on doxy, we used zantac, Quiet Digestion (chinese herb combination), carafate, EVO canned and EVO reduced fat kibble and hand fed her. She also got fried (in butter) turkey every night.

Actually, she still gets the aforementioned......and we still hand feed her.....

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I feel your pain, Polli as you remember was a nightmare when she didn't eat and I remember trying everything. tripe saved us several times.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Ask your vet about Convenia, a new injectable antibiotic that doesn't cause stomach upset. I'm not sure it's the right one for all conditions, but I do think UTIs may be one of them. It was like a miracle for my cat.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Ask your vet about Convenia, a new injectable antibiotic that doesn't cause stomach upset. I'm not sure it's the right one for all conditions, but I do think UTIs may be one of them. It was like a miracle for my cat.

i will but my understanding is that baytril is one of the only antibiotics that will work on the stubborn strain of vaginitis that my vet has been seeing in her practice lately.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

maybe ask the vet for sucralfate...something to calm her tummy. I imagine any and all of those meds could upset her tummy...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I feel your pain, Polli as you remember was a nightmare when she didn't eat and I remember trying everything. tripe saved us several times.

I, too, feel your pain. Buddy was incredibly resistant to eating his last couple of months, and it was awful. :( Tripe worked for us a couple of times, but even that lost its "appeal". :puke Having them not eat is soooo difficult. Hugs to Loca, and to you, too, Robin.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I'm with you, wouldn't stop the baytril. Would add pepcid and stop one of the pain meds (Tramadol if she's still wobbly).

Wow, great offer of goodies from Tina. Loca will want to move. Maybe you should take her up on it. :lol :lol :lol

Kidding about that last. Fingers crossed for the next report to be a good one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sorry, I skimmed, may not have gotten all the details. Have you considered that the Metacam might not agree with her? It's one of the meds that requires regular blood work to make sure it doesn't cause problems. You might want to ask your vet if it's a problem.

Feel better soon Loca, (you too Robin)

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Vinnie

No advice, just wanting to send our prayers, hugs and scritches. Hopefully some of the "nummy" :sick foods will help to entice her and they can change out some of the meds.

Guest myjazzy

Hoping Loca starts feeling better and will eat. I'm with you, I would not stop the baytril. I'm also grossed out by some of the stuff they think is yummy, but sometimes it's necessary. I have rubber gloves at home for whenever I have to deal with stuff like that.

Loca, honey, stop worrying your mom, and eat for her, please?