Worried About Loca

Don't worry about the cystocentesis--when Zippy had it done, I was at her head, helping stabilize her as she lay on her back, and I saw it done; didn't seem to really bother her at all.

The last time one of my girls had a cystocentesis, she rolled over on her back on her own, then stayed there for belly rubs after they finished. My dogs all love my vet.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems with cystocentesis here either--and several of the girls have been done. Piper and Cora (broodies) were easy, Edie was a bit tense but OK, Minnie wasn't thrilled about being upside down, but didn't object to the needle itself. (Minnie did, though, launch herself into the air when she was right side up again. Fortunately the vet tech caught her.)

A few other points:

- During her first year here, I changed Piper's food a couple of times, and both times she got a UTI. Since then, she's been on the same food, and lasted almost a year before another UTI. My vet suggested that maybe the food change altered the ph of Piper's urine, but, whatever the mechanism, the food change was clearly part of the problem.

- Sometimes UTIs don't show up even on cultures.

- The panting could be pain/discomfort, or even stress because she feels like she has to go (again).

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest houndstooth4

Those UTI's are hard to beat! I wish you and Loca good luck. There are some pretty hard core antibiotics they can try. I hope something works.

Sounds like you got good advice, I just wanted to add my prayers for your very special lady.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

How's she doing this morning?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Loca was kind enough to get me up at 5am to go out, only to pee on my living room rug as i was getting her collar and leash. my sweet little money pit is off to the vet at 6:30 this evening. wish us luck!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

we have an office pool going on the cost of tonight's visit. my guess is $400, a coworker guessed $250 and another guessed $125. anybody else? :eek

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

we have an office pool going on the cost of tonight's visit. my guess is $400, a coworker guessed $250 and another guessed $125. anybody else? :eek

If they culture the urine, including the antibiotics, I'm guessing 300.00. If they end up taking urine from her bladder, I'de add another 80.00.

If my guess is the closest, does that mean I get Loca????

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

poor Loca has both a UTI AND vaginitis. the vet took a vaginal swab which she has sent out for a culture. Loca had three shots; antibiotics, an anti-inflammatory and a painkiller. i was sent home with baytril, tramadol and metacam. poor Loca. she's doped up now. as for the office pool, not only did i win but the bill was twice as high as my guess :weep. oh well...you do what you have to do :beatheart

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Just checking in to see how Loca is doing. Oh, poor girl! Let's hope all the meds you've been given start to make her feel better soon.

I'm keeping you and Loca in my thoughts! :goodluck:grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

poor Loca has both a UTI AND vaginitis. the vet took a vaginal swab which she has sent out for a culture. Loca had three shots; antibiotics, an anti-inflammatory and a painkiller. i was sent home with baytril, tramadol and metacam. poor Loca. she's doped up now. as for the office pool, not only did i win but the bill was twice as high as my guess :weep. oh well...you do what you have to do :beatheart

Wow! Loca has expensive taste in medicine! Seriously, you're right, you do what you have to do, and knowing how much you love her, it's no surprise that you're doing whatever you can to make her better.

Get well, sweetie! Your Mom's heart and wallet can't take it!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Good grief. Your vet could work for my clinic. :rolleyes:

But I am very glad to hear that you have a diagnosis and a treatment plan. I hope that Loca is resting comfortably and that this time those nasty bugs get vanquished.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)