Canyon Is Home!

Guest Annie

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am sorry to hear that he is having trouble; I wonder if the vet can give him somehing to relax the muscles like someone else mentioned; also is there some canine equivalent of physical therapy to facilitate rehabilitation for a surgery like that? I hope that the acupuncture will help, it does sound promising. Sending our continued prayers for your sweet boy.

Checking in on Canyon.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Just wanted to add good wishes for Canyon. As others have suggested, perhaps Canyon will feel better with something to relax his muscles. Your poor baby has certainly been thru a lot.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Annie I can think of so many things....LOVE really does conquor all.."In your patience possess ye your souls"(Luke 21:19)Most of all though I won't accept rabbit for t-bone steak! Canyon is well. :ding The Word says its already been done. I don't care what it looks like. I refuse to be moved by the appearances. :sowhat And I won't relinquish Canyons healing by giving place to doubt because of appearances which are irrelevant. My heart is steadfast trusting in the Lord. The exact middle verse in the Bible is "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.". I know sometimes things look worse just before the greatest blessing because the devil is mad he has to leave and wrecks extra havoc before he does. I won't be deceived by this trick. :neener I give thanks for Canyons healing! :hope

Kisses and scritches to the boy! :kiss2

Time to be happy Canyon! :gh_bow

Love,

Your KY friends :love2

Edited by racindog

continuing to send prayers for your sweet boy!!! :hope :hope :candle:hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for Canyon.

I agree with the others that his poor muscles must be really bothering him.

I used a moist heat pack on my Scarlett after one surgery that I have used since I broke my back. The e-vet suggested using hot packs but said they meant wash cloths soaked in hot water. Those get cold in 5 minutes so I checked with my own vet about using my moist heat pack on her and he said it would be fine. I was able to see the difference in her within a very short time. The heat pack is called a hydrocollator. It is clay that you boil (or microwave) then wrap in layers of towels (or you can get burned) and the moist heat penetrates the towels. They really do work. Since greyhound thin skin and a lack of body fat means the heat would be higher for her, I used to put it on my back for 30 minutes then put it on Scarlett for 30 minutes.

I would happily send you one for Canyon, or you can buy them here linky. I use the standard size (10" x 12").

Guest Vinnie

Good Morning Annie - just stopping by to check on Mr. Handsome. Hope Canyon is feeling better this morning. Please update when you can. Sending more prayers and healing white light. Hugs and scritches.

Guest Annie

Post surgery day 19

Canyon_post_surgery_day_18_5_800.jpg

Thank you for your continuing support and prayers! This has been a challenging road... we are over 3 months of concern for our boy now. Racindog... I loved what you WROTE!!! :yay

There has been no change.

I am phoning the neurosurgeon this morning. I'm going to ask for another MRI. Perhaps they can give us a greatly reduced rate. What choice do we have but to check his neck thoroughly again?

I am also making arrangements for acupuncture this AM.

WE CAN BEAT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest greytkidsmom

Hugs to you and to Canyon.

He has been weak for a long time - those muscles are going to have to regain their strength.

Is there any chance the trembling is from muscle fatigue?

Does your vet or acupuncturist have any suggestions for physical-therapy type exercises or stretches?

Guest Annie
Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for Canyon.

I agree with the others that his poor muscles must be really bothering him.

I used a moist heat pack on my Scarlett after one surgery that I have used since I broke my back. The e-vet suggested using hot packs but said they meant wash cloths soaked in hot water. Those get cold in 5 minutes so I checked with my own vet about using my moist heat pack on her and he said it would be fine. I was able to see the difference in her within a very short time. The heat pack is called a hydrocollator. It is clay that you boil (or microwave) then wrap in layers of towels (or you can get burned) and the moist heat penetrates the towels. They really do work. Since greyhound thin skin and a lack of body fat means the heat would be higher for her, I used to put it on my back for 30 minutes then put it on Scarlett for 30 minutes.

I would happily send you one for Canyon, or you can buy them here linky. I use the standard size (10" x 12").

Thankyou carronstar! By the looks of his movement (or lack thereof) his pain seems to still stem from his spine rather than his muscles. I think that's why we need to pinpoint exactly what's going on for him before I can treat him effectively. I do have the magic packs that can be heated or cooled, so I'll put a warm pack on him now to start.

Guest LolasMom
I swear the more pics you post the more I fall in love with this guy.

And you are right!!! You will beat this

I was just thinking the same thing. Canyon's picture is gracing my "greyhound posture examples" for new adopters - under the "greyt smiles" section. He's such a little doll. :wub:

My prayers and well wishes will continue until you have your bouncy happy boy back!

Edited by LolasMom

Guest IrskasMom

Canyon .... you look so beautiful and your Booboo is almost gone. I just want to grab your sweet Face and knuddle you.

Sending some more Prayers for you :grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug:kiss2:dogcookie

Guest Vinnie

Hi Annie - have you heard back from the vet yet on possibilities? Or if he should do pt or acupuncture? Or if they can give him some additional meds for now? I know this has got to be making your stomach feel like you are on a super roller coaster and you can't get it to stop! But I think once they get this pain under control you should be back on a nice steady road to recovery. Keeping my fingers crossed that they can get sweet Canyon some relief and you some answers. Sending more prayers and healing white light.

Guest Annie
Hi Annie - have you heard back from the vet yet on possibilities? Or if he should do pt or acupuncture? Or if they can give him some additional meds for now? I know this has got to be making your stomach feel like you are on a super roller coaster and you can't get it to stop! But I think once they get this pain under control you should be back on a nice steady road to recovery. Keeping my fingers crossed that they can get sweet Canyon some relief and you some answers. Sending more prayers and healing white light.

Neither the neurologist nor the acupuncture vet are at their offices today. :(

It's almost 3 weeks post surgery. By all accounts (and the neuro has done thousands of these surgeries) Canyon could still have some MINOR muscle discomfort, but not MAJOR pain that makes him cry out. The only explanation is that there is still something terribly wrong.

THIS IS SO VERY PAINFUL. :crying

Guest eaglflyt

I wish I could offer more, but I can share my husband's experience with his back surgery. He's had multiple back surgeries and it generally took quite a bit more than just 3 weeks before the muscle spasms and other pain subsided. Is Canyon still on steroids or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories? Also, pain medicine at this point in such cases is OK and often needed in humans.

The muscle spasms can come in *attacks* and they are terribly painful. Also, his guarding his neck with being tense can trigger the spasms from that activity, too. Do you have any friends that are physical therapists that may be able to suggest something gentle and very mild (warm packs, etc.) until the doctors return your calls? Maybe a call to the on call vet is in order to get the vicious cycle of pain to stop for now.

I'm keeping Canyon and your whole family in my prayers.

Guest Annie
Will you get to talk to the vet tomorrow Annie?

Yes Claudia, he is expecting my phone call. We have to get to the bottom of this!!!!!

This is unbearable... day after day... week after week, no improvement. And now he is crying out again. I'm so angry and confused at the situation. It's no one's fault... but have we missed something?????

We are going to lose him if we can't figure this out. :crying:crying:crying

Will you get to talk to the vet tomorrow Annie?

Yes Claudia, he is expecting my phone call. We have to get to the bottom of this!!!!!

This is unbearable... day after day... week after week, no improvement. And now he is crying out again. I'm so angry and confused at the situation. It's no one's fault... but have we missed something?????

We are going to lose him if we can't figure this out. :crying:crying:crying

I'll be anxious to hear what the vet thinks. I don't know anything about the type of surgery he had, but I would imagine 3 weeks is not a long time for healing, but again, I really don't know.

All I do know is this has to get better, for both of you. I know that so many of us are following and are hoping to sign on and here he's in no pain anymore. Has to happen Annie, has to!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Annie
I wish I could offer more, but I can share my husband's experience with his back surgery. He's had multiple back surgeries and it generally took quite a bit more than just 3 weeks before the muscle spasms and other pain subsided. Is Canyon still on steroids or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatories? Also, pain medicine at this point in such cases is OK and often needed in humans.

The muscle spasms can come in *attacks* and they are terribly painful. Also, his guarding his neck with being tense can trigger the spasms from that activity, too. Do you have any friends that are physical therapists that may be able to suggest something gentle and very mild (warm packs, etc.) until the doctors return your calls? Maybe a call to the on call vet is in order to get the vicious cycle of pain to stop for now.

I'm keeping Canyon and your whole family in my prayers.

You posted this while I was responding so I've just seen it. Thank you.

The neurologist has done so many of these surgeries and he is completely perplexed by Canyon's painful symptoms. Maybe the recovery experience is very different and much less painful for a dog because he says that by now Canyon should be close to behaving normally.

I feel so incompetent because I don't know what to do to help him through this. What more can we do???

A couple of days ago I was saying that the recovery was terribly slow, but at least he wasn't crying out. Now he is.

I have to face it, he is actually deteriorating. :crying

I have to face it, he is actually deteriorating.

I have a good idea what you've been through Annie, but please do not lose hope

ETA: I wanted to add that I don't say not to lose hope with no experience of the agony you're going through. I'm going through it with Misty Annie, there have many days I didn't think she was going to get through what she's going through. Days I've asked myself am I being unfair. I tell you this only because I really know how you feel

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have to face it, he is actually deteriorating. :crying

Annie :grouphug Wait until you talk to the vet, OK? :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.