Worried About Loca

robinw

Hi All,

Loca has been receiving treatment for a bad UTI for three weeks and still has enough meds for another two-three weeks or so. I've noticed that she is really slowing down and I've had to help her into the car since she's started taking these pills. Apparently Loca has a combination of two infections and there was fecal matter in her urine.

She taking Clavaseptin 250mg 2x daily. When those are gone she will be taking Clavaseptin 50mg 2x daily. She also has Metacam.

Does anybody know anything about Clavaseptin? Is this change in behaviour normal? Will she get back to her old, bratty self when treatment is completed and she is better? So what if she's 13 years old, there's no reason why she can't be the same Loca she was a month ago, is there :beatheart

thanks in advance for any advice :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clavaseptin = Clavamox, which slows Zema down too.

Did they do a sterile draw and culture the urine?

Might want to give Pepcid in case it is bothering her tummy. I give one regular-strength pepcid (10mg famotidine), wait 30-40 minutes, feed meal, then give meds. Twice a day.

Please give my goddoggie some extra scritchies and whisper in her ear about all the trouble she can get into when she is feeling better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Clavamox can really upset the stomach as already mentioned.

I do as Batmom suggested, a Pepcid 30 min before a meal and meds. It really helps.

Now, you see what we do, they drive us nuts with their antics and then when they don't we worry.

Beautiful, innocent, mis-understood Loca is tucked very tightly in my prayers. And I'm hoping that she'll be dancing on the table in no time.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest hannahmom

Hannah had the same issue about a year ago

The meds slowed her down for a while too

Please give scritches to the divine Ms. L and tell her we all hope she is feeling much better

Edited by hannahmom

Guest BlackandBrindle
Clavamox can really upset the stomach as already mentioned.

I do as Batmom suggested, a Pepcid 30 min before a meal and meds. It really helps.

Now, you see what we do, they drive us nuts with their antics and then when they don't we worry.

Beautiful, innocent, mis-understood Loca is tucked very tightly in my prayers. And I'm hoping that she'll be dancing on the table in no time.

Exactly what Claudia said :nod

Prayers for your crazy girlie! :grouphug

no advice either but sending prayers for the crazy and beautiful Miss Loca!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

aaaawwww Loca...hope you are feeling better soon!

Love from your friends Ben and Bailey and me too! :wub:

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest vahoundlover

We are going through it with Sheba, I have always done as Batmom says but Sheba is now to the point of eating nothing. Other than that she seems like her spoiled princess self. I called the vet this morning, we are taking her off the clavamox (has been on it for 4 weeks) and see what happens. She said we could try another antibiotic but I can't remember which one.

What about switching her to Baytril? It's more expensive, but I know that Clavamox also upset Raisin's tummy and the Baytril was easier on her (plus, I think it the stronger antibiotic for UTIs).

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

When Polli was on clavomox after her dental, she had a terrible upset tummy.

Hugs to Loca from Polli!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Same tummy issues here when Merlin was on Clavamox for a UTI a year ago. Poor Loca! I really hope she starts to feel herself again soon!

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Honeysmom

I can't advise but Cali took a round of Amoxicillin for the UTI she had and that cleared it. It's been over a year and she's still clear. I give her cranberry pills once a day.

I hope Loca feels better as soon as possible!

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Agree with the many others Clavamox is a pretty kick butt antibiotic and tends to tear up tummies :(

I would second on the Baytril if the vet thinks that one would work.

For any really stubborn hard to clear up anything Baytril has always done the job for any hounds I know.

Hope Loca is feeling better soon!

Sending more prayers for the pretty little girl. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending good thoughts for Loca--Mandy is going through the same thing right now--the Pepcid does seem to help with the upset stomach from the Clavamox.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Yup - I'm taking the human variety of clavamox right now (augmentin for what looks like a nasty strep throat), and it's upsetting my digestive tract. Definitely give with food - I took some this morning without eating and was nauseous.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).