Worried About Loca

robinw

Guest greytexplorer

Hi Robin,

Just wanted to add----if you've ever

1) had a nasty uti, or

2) taken augmentin

then you will feel not at all up to par! The pepcid will help.

Please ask your vet if a shot of convenia would help/be appropriate for Loca.

The shot is what finally helped Mandy and Ester get over their uti's.

Now, will someone explain to me why greyhounds have these kickbutt uti's that take forever to clear up????

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, will someone explain to me why greyhounds have these kickbutt uti's that take forever to clear up????

that's a really good question. it seems like Loca gets treated for a doozie of a UTI every year! i've often wondered if it is one long lasting UTI.

btw, i gave her a pepcid tablet about 1/2 hour before i gave her the antibiotics, so hopefully she's feeling better, but who knows because she is knocked out! thanks all for the great advice and good wishes :bow

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest RooCroo

Our 16 year old border collie Lacy had a nasty e-coli infection of the bladder, and the clavamox really made her feel bad. I was worried! Her back end is weak from Cushing's disease, and on the Clavamox it got much worse. Pepcid and a boiled chicken and rice helped a lot. After the meds were finished, Lacy was back to her old cranky self.

:grouphug Get better, Loca!

Awww, poor Loca. Hope she's feeling better soon.

A previous vet I had said that some females that squat really low to the ground or practically sit, are often candidates for reoccuring UTIs, because they can pick up bacteria from the grass and ground. Made sense to me, because one of my girls practically sat on the ground when she peed.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

There is a FABULOUS new injectable antibiotic called Convenia (for both dogs and cats) that is extremely effective on UTIs. And it has no GI effects. One shot works for about two weeks. Expensive but absolutely worth it in my view.

My cat had a severe UTI/kidney infection, and stopped eating on Clavamox. It took about six weeks of Convenia to clear things up, but it worked, and no side effects. My cat's vet raves about what good results they're having with it.

Convenia is quite new, but you should absolutely ask your vet about it.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Robin,

does Loca possibly have "structural" issues that may cause her to have more/worse-than-usual UTIs? I remember a couple of dogs (well, bitches, actually), who had vulvuloplasty (I think that's the word), which is to say a "facelift" in that area, because they had extra deep skin folds. It seems like this extra/saggy tissue causes more icky build-up or too much moisture which will result in UTIs.

SuzieQ's (greytdecal) had a thread on Maggie's surgery for this, but it's gone. I would PM her and ask for details.

Here is another thread that discusses it:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...78&hl=vulva

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Awww, poor Loca. Hope she's feeling better soon.

A previous vet I had said that some females that squat really low to the ground or practically sit, are often candidates for reoccuring UTIs, because they can pick up bacteria from the grass and ground. Made sense to me, because one of my girls practically sat on the ground when she peed.

interesting...loca is so low to the ground when she pees that it's practically impossible to get a urine sample.

Robin,

does Loca possibly have "structural" issues that may cause her to have more/worse-than-usual UTIs? I remember a couple of dogs (well, bitches, actually), who had vulvuloplasty (I think that's the word), which is to say a "facelift" in that area, because they had extra deep skin folds. It seems like this extra/saggy tissue causes more icky build-up or too much moisture which will result in UTIs.

SuzieQ's (greytdecal) had a thread on Maggie's surgery for this, but it's gone. I would PM her and ask for details.

Here is another thread that discusses it:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...78&hl=vulva

thanks for the info. i'll talk to my vet about it, but at age 13 i doubt we'll do anything other than treat with antibiotics. i will ask about that shot, though.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

For those with structural issues for whom surgery isn't feasible, my vet recommends alcohol-free baby wipe and pat dry after each trip outside.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For those with structural issues for whom surgery isn't feasible, my vet recommends alcohol-free baby wipe and pat dry after each trip outside.

eewwwwwwwww! wipe Loca's dirty bum??? :puke

just kidding :lol i'll try that.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Misty has the same issue with UTI's.

When Misty was on the track(not in the states) she was over loaded with steroids which not only caused the skin folds, but an enlarged vulva.

What I do is everytime she pees, everytime that I see her that is, I wipe her with Desitin creamy. Lots of bacteria will form in those folds and then when they're licking, in goes the bacteria.

She really could have benefited from the Vulvaplasty but there were issues that caused my vet not to do it.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sending good wished to Loca and you from Dita and me ( any everyone else, of course). :cookie

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

Hope Ms Loca is back to her sweet, innocent and misunderstood self quickly. :wub: Sirocco just finished up a round of Clavamox & Baytril for an infected leg. One of the antibiotics upset his tummy also. We started the Pepcid when he stopped plotting ways to snitch our dinners. :ph34r The Pepcid seemed to help fairly quickly. It's just not right when a Reko dog wants to behave. :unsure

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest greytmonty

I found pepcid wasn't always strong enough when monty was on his various antibiotics. You can get generic Reglan (metaclopramide) at the human pharmacy with a scrip from your vet. It is super cheap and really works well. Good luck.

i could tell loca doesn't feel well. i left an open bag of potato chips on the floor last night and they were still there this afternoon :ohno

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

i could tell loca doesn't feel well. i left an open bag of potato chips on the floor last night and they were still there this afternoon :ohno

Wow, she must really not feel well. And don't forget, a UTI just like with people can really make them feel sick.

Please give that mis-understood girl a big hug from her desert fan club

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

:( Hope she is feeling better and back to all manner of thievery soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How is the beautiful Miss Loca this am? Sending prayers for her return to spunkdom.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Just checking in in Loca this morning. I see she's still not feeling well :sad1

Sending lots of good thoughts! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

eewwwwwwwww! wipe Loca's dirty bum??? :puke

just kidding :lol i'll try that.

I thought of structural issues, too, Robin, as Rascal has a lot of trouble with that area. :blush She once had a bladder infection and yeast infection and it was because of her structural issues. A lot of nasty stuff can get trapped in the folds of the vulva, and cause trouble. We always know to start tending to Rascal when she's licking excessively. I use baby wipes to cleanse the area (it is NOT her butt, rather her "girlie" parts)...the vet can show you how to manipulate the area so you can cleanse thoroughly...and then we put some prescription powder on her. (Neo-Predel, or something like that.)

I always mean to take care of her "issues" on a more regular basis, but you know how that goes. :rolleyes: Then I wait till she's uncomfortable, and her poor little girl parts are all red and really sore. :(

If you can get a helper, it will be easier. It's amazing how quickly and tightly they can tuck that tail in! :lol

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.