Back To The Vet We Go

Jake got a corneal abrassion last Tuesday night. He was on antibiotic drops it showed good progress initially. That was until yesterday, then it started to get worse.

We just got home from seeing Miki our vet. While it is half the size the original abrassion was, it wasn't tacking down. She froze his eye and swabbed the dead tissue away. Please pray that it heals now otherwise he has to have a grid procedure. Basically they freeze the eye, and scratch a grid on the cornea. Then it will heal and tack down.

He was off his food last night and wouldn't eat again this morning. He was moving like a really old man, and while he is almost 10 he still moves like a yound dog. I thought it was his back or hip. Miki checked him thoroughly and his left leg is the problem this time. He wouldn't let Miki lift his right foot. When she turned his foot he knew it should be moved, but tried to do it with minimal movement. He also has edema in the same place it took place on his right leg last Dec and last May.

For now his is on tramadol and we watch him for a fever and further swelling. That is Dr Couto's recomendation when this happened to his right leg. We'll do a fine needle and a culture if the edema worsens. That way we'll know what we are dealing with, I hope.

Sunday Jan 25th

Things have improved, I think. He is squinting only when he thinks I'm going to do something to his eye. :lol I'm optimistic, but this is where we were last Sunday and then it got worse. Fingers crossed as we finish the antibiotics tomorrow.

His leg is pain free. :yay There is still a bit of residual edema, but he is back to playing and doing stairs without problem. I'm thinking this was probably a pulled muscle or a sprain this time.

Please say a prayer that his eye continues to heal without further treatment.

Tuesday, Jan 27

I just got back from yet another vet visit with Jake. His eye looked okay yesterday morning, but by night it was obviously going to need another recheck. He had rubbed his eye lid while I was at work and it is not inflamed. :rolleyes: Miki said it was healing, but the edges were lifting and there were no vessels showing. So, she did a cross hatch grid on his cornea with a needle. This will stimulate healing and we should see major improvemt in a week. He has more antibiotic gel and I'll give him some benedryl for the itching on his eye lid.

Jake handled the whole thing really well. I don't think I could stand still while my eye was scratched, even with freezing. Please keep him in your prayers that it heals this time.

Saturday Feb 7

On Wednesday, things looked good. By Friday it was clear that his eye was bothering him

Here's a picture of my poor sad boy.

DSCF5574.jpg

Now he has a new abrasion! Likely becaue his eye is healing and is vulnerable. Because it was looking good on Wednesday, and he was leaving it alone, I took the vet wrap off his dew claw. He likely scratched himself with it. :rolleyes: So no new grid, just freezing and a q tip to smooth down the edges. Drops for 2 weeks and vet wrap on dew claw for 3 weeks. Pray this does the trick.

Wednesday, Feb 11

I'm taking the hunk back in today. Although, he sure doesn't look like a hunk today. :( I really wish he had seen Miki last time, I wasn't all that convinced that the other vet did what was needed. Keep him in your prayers, this is week 5 I feel so bad for him.

Okay, news isn't so bad. His original abrasion is completely healed and the blood vessels are visible now yay!

His new abrasion wasn't healing, so Miki cleaned it up. We decided to go ahead and do another grid to help it heal, since it worked for the last one. The good news is that he is infection free. Bad news is he heals slowly. We are going to work really hard at keeping Jake from rubbing it.

Keep thinking good thougts

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake, my buddy, STOP SCARING YOUR MAMA! Hope you feel better soon, handsome!

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Janet, is your vet also a veterinary ophthalmologist? If not, I would definitely suggest seeing one, in addition to your regular vet. I hope your sweet boy feels better fast. :goodluck

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Oh, poor Jake! I really hope he feels better soon. :(

:grouphug

Sending lots of good thoughts your way, Janet.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Poor baby. I am so sorry you are both going through this.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Jake honey, you settle down and get well baby.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Sending my prayers. Kiss Jake for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending good thoughts and prayers for Jake. :hope:hope

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Keeping sweet Jake (and you!) in our thoughts and prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sunday Jan 25th

Things have improved, I think. He is squinting only when he thinks I'm going to do something to his eye. I'm optimistic, but this is where we were last Sunday and then it got worse. Fingers crossed as we finish the antibiotics tomorrow.

His leg is pain free. There is still a bit of residual edema, but he is back to playing and doing stairs without problem. I'm thinking this was probably a pulled muscle or a sprain this time.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Jake got a corneal abrassion last Tuesday night. He was on antibiotic drops it showed good progress initially. That was until yesterday, then it started to get worse.

We just got home from seeing Miki our vet. While it is half the size the original abrassion was, it wasn't tacking down. She froze his eye and swabbed the dead tissue away. Please pray that it heals now otherwise he has to have a grid procedure. Basically they freeze the eye, and scratch a grid on the cornea. Then it will heal and tack down.

He was off his food last night and wouldn't eat again this morning. He was moving like a really old man, and while he is almost 10 he still moves like a yound dog. I thought it was his back or hip. Miki checked him thoroughly and his left leg is the problem this time. He wouldn't let Miki lift his right foot. When she turned his foot he knew it should be moved, but tried to do it with minimal movement. He also has edema in the same place it took place on his right leg last Dec and last May.

For now his is on tramadol and we watch him for a fever and further swelling. That is Dr Couto's recomendation when this happened to his right leg. We'll do a fine needle and a culture if the edema worsens. That way we'll know what we are dealing with, I hope.

Sunday Jan 25th

Things have improved, I think. He is squinting only when he thinks I'm going to do something to his eye. :lol I'm optimistic, but this is where we were last Sunday and then it got worse. Fingers crossed as we finish the antibiotics tomorrow.

His leg is pain free. :yay There is still a bit of residual edema, but he is back to playing and doing stairs without problem. I'm thinking this was probably a pulled muscle or a sprain this time.

Brilliant news Janet. My grandgrey Chancie Pantz had a horrible corneal abrasion and Debby thought she would NEVER heal...but after trial and error with different drops and ointments from the vet...she finally healed. Hug Jake for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.