She Bloated Last Night

seeh2o

What a scary thing ~ praying all works out with Sheila and she is alright. :cry1

Having 2 dogs that have bloated (the first was PJ, my first heart girl and I didn't know what was happening so I blame myself for not getting her to the vet sooner. She survived the surgery, only to die later that day from arrythmias (sp?)... :weep The second was Kodi who is pictured in my siggy. He had the surgery, but he was such a difficult patient (a real stinker), they discharged him before they could make sure he could eat on his own. :blush) My husband's partner July also has bloated before she came to live with us, so it's a big worry for us!

Many prayers for Sheila and you... and your worried Carl too, that he has his girlie back home with him soon! :hope:candle:hope

:bighug

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seeing this...

Keeping her in my thoughts!

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Hoping that Sheila will continue to improve!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest KennelMom

Sending lots of prayers for Sheila. Many vets won't answer the "if this were your dog" question for liablilty reasons. Their job is to educate the owner so they can make a decision. I've only every had one vet answer that question and it was over a sprung toe many years ago. :grouphug :grouphug

Sending lots of good thoughts for Sheila, and hugs for Carl. :bighug

I think if she were mine, I might be tempted to bring her home and let my usual vet take care of her from here. The vet where she is doesn't exactly sound confident ... and many greyhounds just don't do well in the hospital. Also, when it comes to poop, especially with the old ones, some regular, gentle walking, even to the kitchen and back, does wonders to get the digestive tract moving. If she's just lying in her crate all day at the vets, it's all going to take longer.

Not a vet, though. Just my opinion.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Wow, this is a scary experience. I hope Sheila gets better and 'co-operates' on the evac issue.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Praying for poop here in NJ! :hope I almost went through the same thing a few months ago with Stephanie, when she ate a giant 2-1/2 lb. Costco bag of mixed dried fruit. When I saw the xray of her stomach filled with fruit, I almost fainted. Luckily for us, everything "came out all right in the end". :goodluck that it's the same for Sheila, too!

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Oh Connie, I'm only just seeing this! :ohno I'm so sorry this happened to Sheila. I read all yhour updates, you must be absolutely exhausted. I am keeping you and your girl in my thoughts.... all paws ands fingers very firmly crossed here.

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :candle

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest trevdog

I'd be inclined to bring her home, just keep up with the xrays. We had a similar situation about 3 weeks ago with Dallas, but she had an obstruction before, so we took her to the evet. She hadn't eaten a lot, just something that gave her a lot of gas and we thought she was obstructed, much of the same symtoms you are seeing. She had very few poopies at the vet and lots of gas taking it's sweet time to pass. Couldn't tell for sure if it was obstructed. We brought her home and took her to our grey vet. He said the gas was very normal for greys. 2 days later she had massive "D" that scared me and we rushed back to the vet. Seems this is normal for greys too, so she had either eaten something that wasn't agreeing with her or was stressed. It took about 5 days for her to be normal and we are still weaning her off the I/D food.

I think it's normal for Sheila not to feel like eating, just make sure she stays hydrated, that was the big concern with Dallas. I'd take her to your regular vet and just keep a close eye on her, I think it will all come out but may take awhile. Given all the food she ate, it may take longer to process.....

Edited by trevdog

Houston, we have POOP, BLESSED STINKY POOP! :confetti:catscat:confetti

I just brought Sheila home, well, to Ed's! :clap We will drive back to LA tomorrow. She still has food in her belly, but it doesn't seem to be gassy. They did another x ray last night and were satisfied that her GI tract was working. They told me she slept most of the night after I left from visiting her. They also did blood work to check her pancreas last night, they were afraid that all this may have caused a problem with her pancreas....her pancreas is apparently as tough as she is!

The vet revealed to me before I left that she lost her last two cases of bloat and when I brought Sheila in she didn't think she would make it either, though she felt better about her recovery when she realized that the stomach hadn't turned. I'd told her that I watch Carl like a hawk for bloat since he is a GH. She told me that recently they'd had a healthy 2 year old male GH come in with bloat. The owners caught it so early that the vet couldn't detect it by physical exam, only by x ray (those are some astute owners). They did the surgery, he came out of it fine and went home. She found out that a few days later he'd died of a blood clot. Ugh, how horrible to survive the bloat and surgery only to lose him to a blood clot. FYI, Carl is my grey, Sheila, his partner in crime is a Shiba Inu/Chow mix.

I put down a bed with a blanket over it for her to lay on, she went to the carpeted living room, where she is sleeping right now and Carl decided that Sheila's bed looked good to him. I told him I was going to go get her when I left, when I pulled up he was at the gate and was crying. I think he must have known she was with me, he never cries like that when I pull up.

I'm going to head downstairs to be near her (she was just crying, I ran down to see what was going on...nothing, she just wanted to know where I was), I'm going to camp out near her on the couch and maybe we can both nap. I have a feeling that she's going to milk this for all it's worth...get me this, scratch that, pet me here. LOL Gladly!

I just want to thank everyone here on GT for the amazing outpouring of support for Sheila, Carl and me on this. Clearly, all the prayers for poop have paid off in spades (LOL cheap joke as I'm here in Las Vegas!). It has been quite a roller coaster ride the last 32 hours. I really didn't think she would be coming home with me. We'll be making the 4 hour drive to our tomorrow. Time for rest, we're all exhausted.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

We all napped for a bit. After an accident on the carpet, thus learning the hard (ish) way, I set up an ex pen in the dining room (hard wood floors) with the dog bed and blanket. Clean up is sooo much easier there. It is right next to the living room, so I can see her just as well.

Ed's going to have triple cow when he comes home, he has 3 dogs and while he's been away there has had a mad pee-er among 1 or all of them. I've been trying to clean it all up as soon as I see it, some little dog or dogs have been very busy while papa has been away. Clearly, it wasn't Carl, he's not a dainty pee-er and we all know where Sheila has been the last day and a half!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Wonderful news! Keep up the good work sweetie! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

What a time you've had! I'm so glad to hear your tough old girl is on the mend.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown