She Bloated Last Night

seeh2o

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Great news! I'm so glad she's home and OK!

We had a Great Dane female a year old who bloated and had torsion. We fortunately caught it right at the start and she had surgery and lived for 10 more years. We still watch all our greys like hawks for any symptoms.

It's not at all uncommon for bloated dogs to die from complications post-surgery. The gas filled stomach can cause pressure on all the internal organs, and the heart is particularly vunerable. Clots from surgery, anesthesia complications, infections, problems with the kidneys or liver - there are so many things that can go wrong, so I'm not surprised to learn the vet has lost a couple.

But I'm VERY glad your baby is OK!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I just got her to drink water! What a little tuffy, I took her outside for a stroll and she had to pee like a flood. As out of it as she seems, she is able to hold her pee. What a good girl. She's still not interested in eating, but no big deal, she still had food in her stomach as of this morning according to the vet. She's just resting and napping mostly.

We are both soooo lucky, I still can't believe it.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Winterwish

I'm so glad to read your updates of steady improvements for Sheila and hope you both can get some real rest tonite. Continued get well wishes sent for Sheila! :getwell:dogcookie:dogcookie

Glad Sheila is improving! Hug the precious girl for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm just reading this thread for the first time this evening, and my stomach was in knots as I was reading your updates, and then of course, cheers for pooping! So glad this turned out the way it has. :hope for her continued recovery.

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)

Wonderful news abut Sheila. I am so glad she is healing. Scary time but now life can return to normal.

:yay :yay :yay :yay

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

sending many prayers she continues to improve! :hope :hope :hope

having been through bloat (the gas kind) I KNOW how scary it is! :( for the folks that lost their grey to a blood clot after catching the bloat in time :cry1 :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Ok, she must be doing better, she turned her nose up at her food, but she'll eat treats! She had an accident during the night, unusual for her, but so is this situation. I took her out and she POOPED!!! A little, but every little bit counts. She's up and wandering around the house right now. I know I need to stop babying her now and let her do things on her own, but it's hard not to do things for her, like bring the water bowl to her. She's very familiar with Ed's, but it's not her home and she's still a bit disoriented.

We are driving home today and were lucky enough to get a vet appointment at 7 tonight with our regular vet for a follow-up. Carl is still very concerned, watching us both like a hawk and hanging out on the landing of the stairs so he can watch us both at the same time!

Oh, and I actually slept last night!

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest gurehaundo

Man, I was all stressed out! I'm so glad Sheila is doing so well. I got all teary-eyed there in the beginning and now I'm just beside myself! I'm sorry I came across your thread a little too late... Please keep us updated on your girl!

Yay for poop! Yay that she's feeling better! :yay

:yay:yay I'll second that!!

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest gr8greys

I read this thread for the first time and my heart goes out to you!

Please update us when you're home and she's seen her regular vet. I've just gotten mine on the mend from an illness and I know what it's like worrying about them, but it does sound like she's going to be okay - hooray!

My sincerest well wishes to Sheila...

Irene