She Bloated Last Night

seeh2o

I'm out of town with both my dogs at my s/o's. He's out of town, will be in on Mon. Yesterday morning, while I was trying to sleep in, Carl pulled some bags hanging from the door of the shed, Carl knows that's where Ed keeps his dog's food. He pulled the door open (it is blocked by a cement brick just for Carl - he's broken in before). The food is usually kept in a plastic dog food container which snaps shut, but as luck would have it there was a brand new bag of dog food sitting on top to be put into it. Carl tore open a corner. I discovered this when I came downstairs. The tear looked small and there was only a tiny amount of kibble around the opening, so I didn't think too much damage had been done. I didn't think that Sheila had been a participant in the feast.

I fed the dogs as usual in the morning. Then again for their second feeding around 7. At 8 I ran to the market to pick up some human food for the rest of the weekend, I'm here until Tues. When I got back I noticed that Sheila looked a little round, but she does get round when she eats. I assumed she had got into another dog's food (there are 5 dogs here) when I wasn't looking. One of them is very very old and doesn't eat as often as we would like. I do keep an eye on them when they eat because they are all chow hounds, but I thought maybe she got into it when I was loading the dishwasher. Then I remembered Carl's big adventure in the morning and thought maybe I was wrong, maybe she HAD gotten into the food earlier in the day. She is VERY furry and people have always thought she was fat, but she has a thick coat.

About 11 I noticed that she was trying to throw up, so I took her outside and watched her. She seemed better and we came in. It happened again and I noticed that her belly was getting visibly HUGE, I felt it and it was tight. I remembered reading about bloat here on GT, so I ran upstairs and did a quick search of the internet for signs & symptoms. She had most of the classic ones. Then I had to search the internet for a 24 hour animal hospital. I know where they are at home, but I'm in Las Vegas and though I am familiar with the city, didn't know where to go. I found a number, they directed me to one that, ironically, I'd driven by earlier in the evening.

I called them and told her symptoms, they told me to bring her in. Sheila is 13, blind and willful, so she doesn't move quickly even on a good day. Getting her into the car without hurting her was a huge accomplishment. I had to put her front paws on the back seat and then reach around her back legs to put her in. I could feel how much bigger she had become since I'd noticed her distress a 1/2 hour earlier.

They took her in the back immediately, the vet came out and gave me worse case scenario. I had already assumed that I would probably lose her to this because I didn't think she could handle being under or, if she did, the recuperation from surgery would be too much for her at her age.

The vet came back with xrays, she had better news than what was originally thought. Sheila's stomach had not twisted, but it was FULL of food. She thought her chances of survival were now a whole lot better, she said that dogs with "food bloat" typically do better because their stomachs are too heavy to twist. They told me they would have a better idea how she would be in about 2 hours.

I called them an hour and a half later, I couldn't wait 2 hours. They put her in IV Diazepam, then put a tube down her throat to release the gas. Gas was released, hasn't come back, but she hasn't pooped much. When the tube got to the food it was all moist and like paste, which the vet said was good. She has had the tube hit dry food in the middle of the stomach before, she said that is harder to deal with. She is quiet, but still panting. They told me they gave her an injection to "help push it through" so she can poop. I just called them, but the vet was with another patient, she's to give me a call back when she has a moment. They plan to do more xrays around 1.

Please hold good thoughts for my sweet girl.

Sorry if this reads in a disjointed way, I haven't had much sleep.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything crossed and waiting with you.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest MnMDogs

The same thing happened to Matty 5 years ago... she came home good as new, and we've never had a repeat incident. I hope the same for Sheila.

More good thoughts for Sheila from our house - the news sounds promising from the vet. Fingers crossed that she'll be fine! :goodluck :goodluck

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I just got off the phone with the vet, she said there hasn't been any change yet since I talked to them at 8am. She said that in older dogs things tend to move slower, so I don't think they are surprised that she hasn't pooped much yet. She said that the good thing is that her stomach is not getting bigger again like it had been. She thought things were going well, but she said she wouldn't say she is out of the woods yet. They are still planning to do another set of xrays at 1. They hope to see the food moving through her, if it hasn't then we have another problem.

My poor silly girl.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Very scary. That happened once with our beagle, years ago. Good thoughts coming your way from New Jersey.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Egad.

Sounds like she is in good hands.

Sending prayers that poop begins happening soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh my gosh! That is scary, and it's clear that you are worried about your girl. Sending prayers that "it comes out well in the end", and the next update is a good one.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'll call them in an hour, they should be doing or processing the new xrays right now. I'm going to ask about visiting her, but I haven't yet because I don't want it to upset her, I want her to focus on "the business" at hand.

Who thought I'd ever be praying for poop? And a lot of poop, at that.

Thanks so much to you guys for your prayers and good thoughts. It helps all three of us.

Carl knows something is wrong, he is following me around and looks very worried. He has also been "busy" after his adventure yesterday. With as much of his poo that I've cleaned up today I'm lucky I don't have two of them in the ER right now. He is getting very very light meals today, he probably ate enough for at least two days, since that is what I've cleaned up since last night.

Edited by ckruzan

Carl misses her Connie!! And see, when we think they have no interaction at home, when one is missing we see it.

Wayne is praying very hard for his buddy's sis

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless