Xtra Ranch - A Special Boy

onrushpam

On a warm, humid evening at the end of June I went out to the track to load up some lucky doggies leaving JCKC for adoption groups in other states. When I opened the kennel door, a wagging, smiling boy greeted me. I said, “Who are you and where do you belong?” I looked for the only empty crate, gave him a scritch and put him back.

I went out to get some paperwork from the van and when I opened the door, there he was again, wagging and smiling at me! So, I stuffed him in the van so I could deal with the departing doggies. Then, I traded him into a more secure crate, gave him a smooch and told him I’d see him soon. I called Susan (our kennel helper) and told her I’d moved Ranch because he was a talented escape artist.

A day or so later, Susan called to say Ranch was seriously ill and she was taking him to the vet… That was June 30. From that day, Ranch fought and fought to survive. We tried and tried to save him. It was a group effort. Lynn and Kirsten took turns coming every day to care for him (a LONG trip every day). Glen bathed and babied him every night. Ranchie was the most goodnatured dog. He always greeted us with wags and roos and never complained when we hurt him. As Marilyn said, he was everything anyone would want a greyhound to be.

What eventually happened is too long a story… I’ll just give up my blessings to Diane (Burpdog), who wanted to foster/rehab Ranch and especially to Marilyn, who tried SOOOO hard to save him! Marilyn was with him at the end and I hate she had to go through that. She was Ranchie’s angel and it broke her heart to see him go.

Ranch was from a stellar litter… a couple of his brothers sold for big dollars at the NGA auction. Ranch ran at several tracks before winding up at JCKC. Over the course of a year, he trickled down from a top track to the bottom. His littermate, Xtra Tough, also trickled down and died at JCKC… one of the unlucky ones who never make it to the adoption kennel. We hoped Ranch would be one of the lucky ones.

Thank all of you who have supported us through Ranch’s long journey to the bridge.

I know my dear friend Bob is petting Ranch tonight.

Edited by onrushpam

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

{{{{{{{{{{Pam and Marilyn}}}}}}}}}}

Ranchie, I'm so sorry you didn't get to go home again. Godspeed, extra special boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry Pam. My heart goes out to everyone who worked so hard to heal Ranch. :grouphug :grouphug

deepest-sympathy-candles-sc.gif

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Please know... Ranch was a very pampered house dog with us! He had his own personal servants, Lynn and Kirsten, who came mid-day every day to care for him. Glen and I cared for him every morning and night. He knew comfy beds and toys and lots of good food. He was loved.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

I'm so very sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Ranch.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh sweetie...the heavens are graced with your beauty. Run fast and free with all of our Angels...there is no more pain...no more sickness at the Bridge. Godspeed...My deepest sympathy. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am so sorry.

God Speed Ranch.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

How heartbreaking! My condolences to all who helped and loved him. He sounded perfect.

Godspeed Ranchie.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest FullMetalFrank

You all tried so hard, especially Ranchie. I was so hoping he would find a GT home so we could continue to hear stories of him for a long time to come. Well, I guess he has found that home, in the hearts of those who cared for him and about him. Godspeed, sweet boy.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sometimes it's not the amount of time they are with us but how much they teach us about love and life. I'm absolutely heartbroken for you that this courageous sweet pup couldn't stay. My deepest sympathies to all who knew and loved him :grouphug :grouphug

My deepest sympathies to all of you who loved Ranch. To all of us who cheered him on and prayed for him to pull through. Run free and fast sweet boy. You were loved. :gh_runner

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I was so hoping Ranchie would pull through, and my heart hurts. He was one very loved boy! Run with the Angels, Xtra Ranch...run fast and healthy again.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

I am so very sorry that Ranch could not stay longer with the many people who loved and cared for him.

Run free Ranch - no more pain ever again.

Hugs,

Carol Ann

f_yellowf_yellow

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.