Ranger's Osteo-amputee Journey

Guest RSD_Ranger

Fingers crossed you get some good news when you get to talk to the surgeon.

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ishapespace

Sorry to hear about Ranger's diagnosis and that his recovery is going a bit rocky so far. We wish him the best. Try to enjoy the holidays and spoil Ranger, though I'm sure you do all the time anyway!

continuing to send prayers, Kristen!!! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sending tons of prayers to Ranger and many hugs to you.

I hope Ranger's recovery is smooth.

Please give him a gentle hug from me.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

If I remember correctly, both of my boys stayed 2 nights at the hospital after their amputations before coming home. Chemo was started 2 weeks after surgery.

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE:

Talked to the ICU nurse. She said the doctor is recommending Range stay one more night. He is vomiting and they want to make sure they have that under control before he heads home. I totally agree with them!

We're trying to stock up on some good sleep before he comes home. He was always a midnight (or 1am, or 3am, or all of the above) thrasher who had to move his bed here and there, or go outside, or have something to eat during the night kinda guy. So, we're preparing ourselves for sleepless nights ahead.

Crossing our fingers he'll get his tummy in order and quit the vomiting. I've just gone out and purchased some rugs for the kitchen floor so he doesn't have to maneuver around on the tile. We cleared the driveway and a little patch on the side for an easy-access potty area. I suggested having him go potty on the deck -- got a nice eye roll from the husband on that one. I guess that would be a hard habit to break after Ranger's back in the saddle.

I also broke down and bought him ANOTHER bed! My justification was that his old ones have unfluffy filling. Hah! I also got him some crappy food. I figure it might take some enticing to get him to eat. When Kelsey was going downhill, we gave her crappy wet food and Ensure. If anyone has some good ideas on foods to get him excited, I'm all ears.

So you know what we're dealing with: he's been fed Nutro from the day he came home. He likes the Tartar Control biscuits, likes the new Venison formula food and also the Chicken and Rice food (we mix them together). Like I said earlier, he's not food motivated. He's pretty much a grazer until he's ready to eat. We steer clear of lamb because something magical happens from the time he eats it to the time it evolves into the worst tire-burning-smelling farts ever. They are serious room-clearers! He LOVES rawhide and Greenies, but we rarely give him either one.

I forgot to mention: I've heard that the chemo will cause him to lose weight (whether it be from loss of appetite or whatnot), so we are not afraid to put some weight on him at this time. He is at perfect weight now and could easily add a couple pounds if he's just going to lose them again.

I'm trying to be as prepared as I can for his arrival home. Someone also recommended having one pair of shoes designated as the poop shoes. I guess it takes us humans some time before we figure out the poop helping without stepping in it. (Thank you Winslow's mommy!!!)

Edited by RSD_Ranger

Don't rush his release...he is in a great place. They know what he needs and won't consider a peep or twitch an emergency. You will be putting a lot of stress on yourself if you bring him home in a storm. If the storm worsens, you may not be able to get him back if a true emergency does occur.

All paws crossed for a speedy recovery. There are several dogs on here who have passed their one year mark.

(I love the name Hopper)

Hugs to ya!

Sending prayers for all of you. Your sweet baby will be home as soon as the time is right. Hug Ranger for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

OMG!!!! I can't believe I'm just reading this. My Lewis was at the vet on Tuesday (with a little bit of a limp) where xrays indicated OS in his left rear leg. Those films were shipped to Dr. Couto Wednesday morning and yesterday afternoon, he confirmed that diagnosis. I've got to go back through all of your updates. I'm in the pain management mode right now trying to decide what to do next. Good thoughts to you and Ranger.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest vahoundlover

Sending prayers the vomiting has stopped and Ranger will be home soon. My guys like the canned Merrick foods, Green Tripe, sardines. Nutritional Yeast (there is a thread that Xan did) might be good to try too.

Keeping you guys in my prayers.

I'm just seeing this now, too, and have been reading over all the posts and updates. I'm so sorry that you and Ranger have gotten this terrible diagnosis. But I am getting such a positive vibe from your posts. It's very obvious how much you love this boy, and how committed you are to his treatment. I feel that you are doing everything right! And thankfully, you have skipped some of the stages that come with an osteo diagnosis, mainly that dreadful period of agonizing over what to do when you first get the news, and are still reeling from the shock. Unable to process that, and faced with such a finite time frame, many of us stumble back and forth between options, not sure what is best for our beloved dogs. For better or worse, your decision to amputate was made FOR you, and you proceeded with the knowledge that you would do whatever you had to do. You will learn a lot in this journey, from other people who have been there, and from Ranger himself. You'll learn that there is so much support and comfort and knowledge in the Greyhound community, and you will learn that these dogs are remarkably brave and resilient. And you might as well know now that it might get worse before it gets better. Hang in there. You seem to be in excellent hands. Dr. Couto is a saint! And your vet seems to be on top of everything. That laser treatment sounds great---I think so many more dogs could have benefitted from it. So if they want to keep him, that is probably best. They have so many adjustments as they process and eliminate the anesthesia, and work out how they are reacting to the various pain meds. Their systems are all so different, and often, their recovery times vary. You're also right to try and get some sleep before the boy comes home---you will need it! The rugs are necessary, and you're being really proactive.

Those dang right hind legs! It seems like that's where a lot of them get the tumors. That's where Winnie's was. She had a remarkably uneventful recovery and adjusted beautifully to life as a tripod. Her already rather quirky personality magnified some of her quirks even more---she absolutely refused to walk on slick floors for the last 3 years of her life! I can still smile over memories of her being carried by her Dad into various rooms because she put on the brakes and refused to budge. The Queen certainly knew how to make an entrance! And yes, we had 3 1/2 good years with Winnie after her amp. Unlike most, we did not do the chemo, instead treating with immune system boosters like artemisinin and pycnogenol, fish oil, and a high protein, low carb diet. We actually lost her to kidney failure, and I believe she was truly in remission from the osteo. While our story may be atypical, Winnie has been an inspiration to many owners whose dogs are fighting this terrible disease. We do what we can because we love them, and hope for the best.

I hope the best for your precious Ranger. He's so beautiful, and obviously a character who has found his perfect home. Please continue to let us know how he is doing---and how YOU are doing! You are both in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Checking in on handsome, Kristen, how are you two doing?

OMG!!!! I can't believe I'm just reading this. My Lewis was at the vet on Tuesday (with a little bit of a limp) where xrays indicated OS in his left rear leg. Those films were shipped to Dr. Couto Wednesday morning and yesterday afternoon, he confirmed that diagnosis. I've got to go back through all of your updates. I'm in the pain management mode right now trying to decide what to do next. Good thoughts to you and Ranger.

Don't want to side track this thread, but please know Lewis is in our prayers as well

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE:

Going to spring him from the joint now! He's being released because he's "uncomfortable and irritated." Greyhound translation: he wants what he wants when he wants it. That's my boy.

Will respond to the above posts once we've got him home. I'm so excited to see him!!!

Oh oh oh! Very exciting! Give him a welcome-home smooch from me, please!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's great news! Welcome home, Ranger. You keep on healing and making progress. And sending more hugs to you and your humans. :grouphug

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Oh, boy! Homecoming is a wonderful thing! You and Ranger are in our prayers. We're here for the duration, so keep us updated when you can. :hope:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest K9_Lady

Kristen, thinking about you guys tonight and sending more healing thoughts to Ranger and more hugs for you. I hope he is more comfy being home in Mama's arms.

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE:

Whew, what a day!!! We are all exhausted, but so very happy. We learned a LOT today. And hopefully my sharing can help someone in the future.

First off: Wal-Mart sells most of the drugs that were prescribed for $4!! Luckily our oncologist told us about this or we would have paid $150 for stuff that eventually cost under $25.

Ranger's Rx's are: Carprofen (anti-inflammatory) 75mg; Tramadol (pain) 2x 50mg; Cephalexin (antibiotic) 2x 500mg; Sucralfate () 1g; Pepcid AC (heartburn) 10mg. Fentanyl patch until Monday. The Carprofen was the only one that had to be filled at the vet's office. All of the others were filled/purchased at Wal-mart :)

Ranger is doing fantastic!! He is totally mobile right now, though we are really limiting his movement so he can heal a bit, but he is Mr Independent and doesn't want anyone's help while "hopping." He took me on a trek around the backyard when we first got home and mastered the 2 steps in/out of the house like a champ. I was, of course, hovering over him like a ninny thinking he was going to fall at any moment. I swear he's a teenager and gave me that exasperated look that said, "C'mon Mom, if my friends see you acting like this, they're never gonna stop razzing me!" What was shocking to me is that he lays on both sides on his bed! I really thought he would favor "Mr Stumpy" (yea, we even named the stump). NOPE! He's a two-sided laying down kinda guy.

Our trek outside was a bit hard, as he vomited green bile a couple of times. It was like it totally surprised him and he thought it was going to be a burp, then icky taste, then lots of swallowing to get rid of icky taste. He amazed me when he did monster pee (it took FOREVER) and then I thought he was going to pee again. Nope, two little poop nuggets came out. I kept thinking, "OK, this shows all his plumbing is working fine." I was so happy: I'm sure my neighbors think I am crazy!

When we came in he was really crying for the first hour or two. I could hear his little belly rumbling from hunger and kept waiting for DH to come home with some new food and the Rx's. Once he got home, I cracked open a can of Iams Chicken in Gravy and then cracked open the HOLY GRAIL OF FOOD: Innova Evo 95% Rabbit. Holy wow! He sat up and sniffed that stuff like crazy. Then a tentative lick here. Then full on licking until it was gone. I had put about a tablespoon or two of each in his bowl. Gone like a popsicle on a hot summer day!

Once his belly was not so rumbly, he decided to take a super good 2-1/2 hour nap. We then gave him another helping of food every hour or so and those went down just as well as the first time.

I had to make a chart to figure out what pills get taken at what time. It was so confusing! The little graphic designer in me had to lay it out visually before I felt I had a handle on it.

We've got a half hour before the whole house will go to bed. We are all exhausted! We've got one more dose of the big meds to give at 10pm with some food. I have to say, Ranger is definitely teaching us a lot. He has dealt with the amp like a champ -- he doesn't seem to realize there was any option. It's like one day he woke up and this was the way life was just going to be from now on. He doesn't show any interest in his stitches. He gets up to move around to a more comfortable position. He gets up to walk 3-4 feet to get water. He gets excited if we say, "Do you want to go out?" I think WE are having a harder time accepting this than he is! It's hard to look at that huge train track of staples and think, "What the heck happened?" He just lays back, smiles, and waits for his next installment of rabbit!!!

Thank you all for being such a wealth of information and good wishes. I have learned so, so, so much from so many.

On to another day in the life of Ranger, the osteo-amp, bunny eater!! G'night :)

Guest ChasesMum

great news!

I can't remember how much pain he was in before his amp but for George, the wprst of the pain was gone after his amputation, just the surgical pain remained...

WHEEE! feel better soon Ranger!