Ranger's Osteo-amputee Journey

Guest RSD_Ranger

I'm so sorry to hear about your boy. I lost my Jack to osteo in the femur in November but I did not do amp and chemo as that wasn't right for him. We had 6 good months. For sure this is the hardest time for you and Ranger but for sure it will get better and hopefully for a very long time. Unfortunately you are in good company here.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RSD_Ranger

Thank you all for your kind words -- from those of you I know and from those of you I don't. It's definitely a crummy time right now. Let's just say no one will be getting Christmas cards until Groundhog Day!!!

UPDATE:

Went for a 3-hour visit this afternoon. My little man is in a lot of pain and it's so hard to watch and not be able to do anything. They said it's mainly from the swelling right now. The laser stuff was amazing! They showed me the spots that the laser hit and the skin looks very normal (regular pink color). The surrounding skin has so much bruising (which shows up as bright red blood color because their skin is so thin) it looks like his entire belly is just bloody. Kinda creepy.

The swelling is also making the wound weep, so they are icing it and will do another laser treatment tomorrow.

We are calling tomorrow to see if he is doing well enough to come home. I am glad we all agreed he should stay again tonight because I don't think any meds I could give would be strong enough right now.

His rear leg has a stump that is composed of muscle tissue. It's about 1 to 1-1/2 inches lower than his belly, which gives him some nice cover for his private parts so they aren't completely on display. I did take some photos, but I don't think it's necessary to post unless someone thinks that would help lessen the shock of having to see this in their own dog. I'd rather post some once he's somewhat healed and it's not so graphic.

To my amazement, I heard back from Dr. Cuoto (wow, seriously, who answers emails on the same day anymore?!?!). Unfortunately, we were his FIFTH osteo dog of the day. I can't believe this is so prevalent. We are joining his study on genetics of OSA in greyhounds so that hopefully that team can find a cure. They will also provide chemo at no cost. I can't believe it. I am so touched by all the people who have reached out to us. It makes me proud to walk among all of you.

Ranger's tripod days have begun -- he went outside by himself (of course, on a leash!!! I don't care if he's missing a leg, I work too many Amber Alerts to think his loss of a leg will slow him down for long) and hops around fairly well for only being 24-hours old.

We're already tossing around new nicknames (since he has about 10 already) and the top three are: Tripod, I-LEAN, and Hopper. It keeps me in good spirits, which I know he can sense. Humor is the only thing that's keeping me sane right now, so don't think my silly remarks mean I don't think this is truly awful or that I don't care. Quite the opposite.

Thank you all for the greyt information and prayers! They really mean so much!!!! And to the person who wrote their dog has the same symptoms ... I truly hope you find out it was just a bang or bruise. But I'd get it checked ASAP just in case. Make sure they take an x-ray because our doc could not feel it at all through his skin. I will forever be grateful for his diligence and caution.

Edited by RSD_Ranger

My prayers for your sweet and brave little man. :grouphug Hurry home sweetheart. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending some more prayers and gentle scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Went through this just 3 weeks ago with Mango, so I know all too well what you are going through. I have no advice to offer that hasn't already been given except to say that this group is a wonderful support group that doesn't hesitate to share compassion right along with advice!

Keeping Ranger, and you, in my thoughts. :bighug

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest RSD_Ranger

Thank you all. I need to stop searching the internet and take a break. So much information is saddening, so I'm going to call it a night and hope my Range-man will be home tomorrow.

Did I mention that Dr Cuoto will be doing a 39-month check on one of his osteo patients in a week or so?!?!? If I didn't I am making it bold now, cuz that was the absolute best news I got all day. I swear, I'm losing my mind with all these new medical terms and timeframes.

Mangos mom, I thought of you because Mango's thread was the first one I found yesterday when I heard the word osteosarcoma. I read the follow up, but hadn't had a chance to read the whole first one. I know you are waiting for granules or something before Mango can come home. I wonder if the laser light therapy would help? If I'm totally off-base, just ignore that. It wouldn't be the first (or I'm sure last) stupid thing I've said today. That's guaranteed!

Thank you all. I need to stop searching the internet and take a break. So much information is saddening, so I'm going to call it a night and hope my Range-man will be home tomorrow.

Did I mention that Dr Cuoto will be doing a 39-month check on one of his osteo patients in a week or so?!?!? If I didn't I am making it bold now, cuz that was the absolute best news I got all day. I swear, I'm losing my mind with all these new medical terms and timeframes.

Mangos mom, I thought of you because Mango's thread was the first one I found yesterday when I heard the word osteosarcoma. I read the follow up, but hadn't had a chance to read the whole first one. I know you are waiting for granules or something before Mango can come home. I wonder if the laser light therapy would help? If I'm totally off-base, just ignore that. It wouldn't be the first (or I'm sure last) stupid thing I've said today. That's guaranteed!

Isn't it wonderful to come across the long term survivors? I took a lot of reassurance from them the first few days after Mango's diagnosis, too. But give yourself a break from searching out the information, or you'll get overwhelmed. First priority is to get Ranger healed and strong enough to go to the next step.

Don't read Mango's story, yet, if you haven't already. She was an anomaly to the normal healing path of amputees. Laser, which I've never heard of before this, would probably have helped early on. I'm not so sure now, and I know if my vets had it, they would have used it. But I will tell them about your experience.

And you are not off-base. That's what's wonderful about this forum: if there's a question you've forgotten to ask, someone will ask it here. And if there's another way to treat something, someone will know it here, or know where you can get more info.

I will offer some advice given me by someone in the adoption group I volunteer with who has probably forgotten more about caring for greyhounds than I'll ever know: the longer Ranger is at the vet, actually the better it will be for him coming home. Right now, he's where they can monitor him, and adjust medications for pain right away, and handle any other crisises that may happen. After a point, home is where they need to be, but right now, just remind yourself he's in good hands.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you want to talk!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

+++ To all the club members who did chemo: did you start chemo before or after you got your biopsy results back? Thanks

Polli started her chemo the very next day after her amp PRIOR to the biopsy results read. It was carboplatin so it was fine to use as the 1st chemo for whichever cancer it was. It turn out to be osteo and my vets with the carbpoplatin all the way. This protocol is 4-5 chemos 3 weeks apart.

The next chemo for Polli will be # 5!!!!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest K9_Lady
I just talked to the vet on the phone and got some more info while I was typing this. The laser treatment is considered an alternative therapy and he is having it right now. The technical term is infrared light laser therapy that reduces swelling (which will reduce the weeping) and also will reduce the pain. In the grand scheme of things, it's super cheap ($10 a treatment, which takes about 10 minutes). He will be getting it today and tomorrow and will *hopefully* come home tomorrow.

Kristen, laser treatment truly are amazing! Arco had laser treatment and it was almost an instant cure for swelling! His Vet uses it all the time!

Gentle hugs for Ranger and Amy sends him a big ol kiss! Hugs for you too my friend. Call anytime!

POSITIVE thoughts for your handsome boy!

Guest IrskasMom

Kristen ... it looks like ,you are in the best Hands with your Vet and Dr. Couto. More Hugs and Prayers for your

handsome Ranger and you :grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug

Guest RSD_Ranger

You guys are all just truly awesome!!! Thank you so much for keeping me positive!!!!

I'm trying to wait 10 minutes before I make my 9:30 check-in call. I found out some other good news: on the search for Tammy (the lost AND FOUND grey in Channahon, IL) I met a woman named Lori. Well, go figure, she was Ranger's primary nurse on his first night after surgery!! I'm telling you: us greyhound people stick together!

I will request that they perform as many light laser therapies as they deem necessary. It sounds like this is a new(er) treatment and has many very positive results. It's used in humans for arthritis and back pain and is FDA-approved.

Guest RSD_Ranger

UPDATE:

Just spoke with one of the nurses in ICU. Ranger's surgeon won't be in until 11am. The physical therapy coordinator will be by in about 20-30 minutes and they'll probably do another laser light therapy.

If they can entice Ranger to eat before the surgeon gets in, he will most likely be discharged today. Unfortunately, Ranger is not really food-driven. We will put out his food twice a day and he will just sniff it and walk away until he's hungry. He even does this with treats. So, the nurses there are going to see what goodies they can get him to chomp up so he can be on his merry way.

It's a snow/ice storm here now, so the delay is actually a good thing. Give our salt trucks/plows a chance to clear the roads before we go sliding along.

Edited by RSD_Ranger

We are all pulling for Ranger. I hope he's able to come home soon and we will await his the next installments of his journey. We will be here for both you and him.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest FrostyBottoms

Oh Kristen, I am just now seeing this. I am so sorry. Poor Ranger! Sending good thoughts his way and praying he will have a successful recovery!

~Jeannie

I also just caught up on this thread and am so sorry your boy is going through this. He seems to be in the best of hands for his care and you couldn't find better advice than right here. I don't have any experience to offer but I am hoping and praying for a smooth healing & recovery for Ranger. And a hug for you as well - this is a hard time for you. :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest RSD_Ranger

I'm (un)patiently waiting to call the surgeon. In the meantime, I called my sister to update her. She had me laughing so hard with her kids' silly jokes. I thought I'd share in this "not-so-funny" topic so you all could have a chuckle too.

What do you call a cow with two legs?

Lean Beef

What do you call a cow with no legs?

Ground Beef

If I know our little "leaner," he's winning over the hearts of all the ICU nurses and doctors. He is such the social butterfly! While I was dating my husband, his parents had come down to visit. His parents are both dog-people, but they don't have a dog at the moment. I think Ranger's size (he's a big guy: 85lbs) kind of intimidated his Mom. I'll never forget the end of the visit -- his Dad had his coat on and was saying, "It's time to go." His Mom was laying down on the floor rubbing Ranger's belly. Ranger had his tongue hanging out the side and his eyes were rolling back. He was in Heaven. He seems to have that effect on many people!!

Guest ChasesMum

We got George home the day of his surgery and it was terrible. Thank your lucky stars that Ranger is in good hands. In retrospect we should have insisted he be transfered to the Emerg vet (our vet doesnt have overnight ICU facilities) as he was on a paltry amount of tramadol and we upped his dose ourselves because he was in so much pain.