Any Experience With Cushings?

Claudia,

I haven't been online much the last several days, so I'm just catching up. Sorry to hear about Misty's UTI, but relieved it's nothing more serious. Pleas give that beautiful girl a kiss from her "Joisey uncle". I'm thinking of you both

Marc

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if she has some underlying infection like a UTI? Cushing dogs also run warm.....Nevada always seemed a little warmer than normal. She would do more panting in the warmer weather than she did pre-cushings.

For Nevada's Mom - I don't recall seeing what meds Nevada took for Cushings? I've been nominated to be a Welcome Host to the Canine Cushings Yahoo Group and I'm gathering sighthound related Cushings and treatment information to educate myself futher.

Glad to hear Misty may just have an UTI...

Nevada was on Mitotane for her cushings. She did well with it for several years. She passed away in April at a ripe old age of 15.5 years! :wub:

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Claudia,

I haven't been online much the last several days, so I'm just catching up. Sorry to hear about Misty's UTI, but relieved it's nothing more serious. Pleas give that beautiful girl a kiss from her "Joisey uncle". I'm thinking of you both

Marc

Misty says thank you uncle Marc :kiss2

I wonder if she has some underlying infection like a UTI? Cushing dogs also run warm.....Nevada always seemed a little warmer than normal. She would do more panting in the warmer weather than she did pre-cushings.

For Nevada's Mom - I don't recall seeing what meds Nevada took for Cushings? I've been nominated to be a Welcome Host to the Canine Cushings Yahoo Group and I'm gathering sighthound related Cushings and treatment information to educate myself futher.

Nevada was on Mitotane for her cushings. She did well with it for several years. She passed away in April at a ripe old age of 15.5 years! :wub:

That's the other name for Lysodren isin't it Carol? And just another thing to note is that when Misty crashed, her blood pressure was really low. The vet showed me how to keep an eye on it and Monday a few hours after the Lysodren, her blood pressure was a bit low, but back to normal this morning

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest greydogluvr

I have been off line for a bit and am just catching up. So glad she is doing well and that her fever was the result of something simple to treat. Big hugs to the pretty girl.

Claudia,

Marc

Misty says thank you uncle Marc :kiss2

That's the other name for Lysodren isin't it Carol? And just another thing to note is that when Misty crashed, her blood pressure was really low. The vet showed me how to keep an eye on it and Monday a few hours after the Lysodren, her blood pressure was a bit low, but back to normal this morning

Yes, Mitotane is another name for Lysodren. I think it might be a brand name for the drug.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest mzmazzei

Yes, Mitotane is another name for Lysodren. I think it might be a brand name for the drug.

The November 2008 AKC Gazette has a good article on Cushing's Syndrome & Trilostane by Jeff Grognet, DVM. It covers symptoms, tests for diagnosis and the three main treatment drugs in a succinct fashion. Anyone interested in receiving a copy, please privately email me at mzmazzei@pacbell.net I'll scan the article to a .pdf file and attach it to a reply.

Just saw this. So glad it'snot anything serious and something easily treatable.

OK, Misty... enough now girlie.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest mzmazzei

The November 2008 AKC Gazette has a good article on Cushing's Syndrome & Trilostane by Jeff Grognet, DVM. It covers symptoms, tests for diagnosis and the three main treatment drugs in a succinct fashion. Anyone interested in receiving a copy, please privately email me at mzmazzei@pacbell.net I'll scan the article to a .pdf file and attach it to a reply.

I figured out how to give everyone a link to the article. Your mouse works like a magnifying glass when you click on the body of the article for easier viewing...

http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=ww...id=-18#/page31/

I am very happy that it was something simple to treat, sending more hugs for mommy and Misty. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

We still don't have the Cushings under control and will know more once the Stim test is repeated on 12/9 but..................the good news is that Misty has gained 2 pounds back. And we'll celebrate every good thing that comes her way. 8 more pounds and I can finally start posting pictures of her again. :yay:yay Must be all those marshmallows and ice cream :lol

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Good news! Fingers crossed that those 8 lbs. just creep up on you and are here before you know it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Misty :wub:

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Checking in to see if turkey and pumpkin pie were shared??

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mzmazzei
:yay:yay One more pound!! I know it probably doesn't help weighing her after she's eaten, but so what!!

How's Misty doing? There are others on the Cushings Yahoo Group website that have been hoping for good progress for you both. Is she currently on Lysodren? What dosage is working for you? How's her weight and symptoms? What were the results of her last ACTH stim tests?

Well wishes,

:yay:yay One more pound!! I know it probably doesn't help weighing her after she's eaten, but so what!!

How's Misty doing? There are others on the Cushings Yahoo Group website that have been hoping for good progress for you both. Is she currently on Lysodren? What dosage is working for you? How's her weight and symptoms? What were the results of her last ACTH stim tests?

Well wishes,

Hi Jill, please thank everyone for their well wishes. Misty's last Stim test showed the cortisol levels as high as they were before we started. So she is now on 500mg of Lysodren on Mondays and Thursdays. Her next Stim test will be in 2 weeks and we're hoping we have it under control. Had some eating problems but lately she's been doing well. Instead of doing the 10 day induction again. my vet feels it's safer to proceed this way. Hard for me to judge if it's under control, she still drinks quite a bit but it has dropped off a bit. Thanks for asking about Misty.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

That really is greyt news!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project