Any Experience With Cushings?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Cushing's Disease. I've read the technical info of the different types but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience with the disease.I'm also wondering if it causes any discomfort at all. Thank you!

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest spider9174

I have a foster that has Cushings. So I may be able to answer some questions for you. There is also a VERY good Yahoo group that I belong to for people with dogs that have Cushings. It is a GREYT resource.

PM me if you have questions or want the Yahoo group name.

There is a Cushings Yahoo Group. I'm sure you could find what you need from those that have experienced it.

Sorry, should have read the posr above mine!

Edited by Nichole

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

You can't go wrong if you join the Yahoo Cushing's Auto-immune group moderated by Heidi Schmeck. It's one the best, most informative groups around. The resource files are incredible; it would take weeks to get through them if you were to read them all.

Marcia

You can't go wrong if you join the Yahoo Cushing's Auto-immune group moderated by Heidi Schmeck. It's one the best, most informative groups around. The resource files are incredible; it would take weeks to get through them if you were to read them all.

Marcia

Thank you! At the suggestion of the above posters I did joing the yahoo group

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest greydogluvr

My mother's cocker spaniel was just diagnosed with Cushings. I know the Yahoo group is great. I just joined the Addison's Yahoo group. Very supportive and helpful. Hope that this is just for informational purposes!!!!! Please keep us updated.

Guest mzmazzei

Our Fiona - 9 yr old spayed female has PDH and we are also members of the CanineCushings Yahoo Group. What tests have been run thus far?

Jill Mazzei

Our Fiona - 9 yr old spayed female has PDH and we are also members of the CanineCushings Yahoo Group. What tests have been run thus far?

Jill Mazzei

Hi Jill, we're just starting. First UA results will be in tomorrow and then if indicated a more specific urine test and then on to the blood test. But we're pretty possitive it's Cushings, all the signs are present

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

If the regular Cushing's tests are normal but you still think it's Cushing's, be sure to check out the third kind of Cushing's -- the Atypical form, which is what our Cullen had. (He had high estradiol and drank and peed constantly when his estradiol was out of control.) The blood has to be overnighted to the U of Tennessee vet school; no one else tests for this form of Cushing's AFAIK.

As for discomfort, I don't know really but peeing buckets and having other physical changes happen probably isn't too comfortable. I'm glad you're looking into this; untreated Cushing's can cause death. :o The good news is that treated Cushing's has a pretty good prognosis, in general.

Marcia

If the regular Cushing's tests are normal but you still think it's Cushing's, be sure to check out the third kind of Cushing's -- the Atypical form, which is what our Cullen had. (He had high estradiol and drank and peed constantly when his estradiol was out of control.) The blood has to be overnighted to the U of Tennessee vet school; no one else tests for this form of Cushing's AFAIK.

As for discomfort, I don't know really but peeing buckets and having other physical changes happen probably isn't too comfortable. I'm glad you're looking into this; untreated Cushing's can cause death. :o The good news is that treated Cushing's has a pretty good prognosis, in general.

Marcia

Thank you Marcia, I didn't know there was a third type, and will mention this to the vet today. I'm grateful to have a very good vet. I'm trying to take in as much as I can but it's a lot to process all at once.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

My Nevada had Cushings for about the last 3 years of her life. I've ridden the medical roller coaster, so PM me if you need to talk.

Nevada had some discomfort towards the end of her life. Cushings involves too much cortisone so initially it can mask arthritic pain etc. And remember, usually these dogs are older when they get Cushings. Once you start treating the Cushings, they can start to show those discomforts.

Nevada had some thoracic back problems that began to cause her pain. At the end, my Vet feels that the pituitary tumors began to really grow & caused her to have neurological problems.

The good news is that Cushings is very treatable, but requires a lot of careful, expensive monitoring and care. If I had to do it over again, I think I would make the dog Addisonian (my Vet agrees). Much easier to control.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest 4gryhnds
My Nevada had Cushings for about the last 3 years of her life. I've ridden the medical roller coaster, so PM me if you need to talk.

Nevada had some discomfort towards the end of her life. Cushings involves too much cortisone so initially it can mask arthritic pain etc. And remember, usually these dogs are older when they get Cushings. Once you start treating the Cushings, they can start to show those discomforts.

Nevada had some thoracic back problems that began to cause her pain. At the end, my Vet feels that the pituitary tumors began to really grow & caused her to have neurological problems.

The good news is that Cushings is very treatable, but requires a lot of careful, expensive monitoring and care. If I had to do it over again, I think I would make the dog Addisonian (my Vet agrees). Much easier to control.

:huh What does Addisonian mean?

Thanks,

Sue

Here's a good explanation of Cushing's and Addison's written by Dr Stack. The article doesn't address the Atypical form of Cushing's but it certainly hits everything else. :)

http://greythealth.com/adrenal.htm

Marcia

:colgate THANKS!!!

Thank you from me too! One of the things I like about Dr Stack is she always makes things simple and easy to understand.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Hey Claudia, any word yet? What time is your appointment? I'm keeping my fingers crossed, Carl is keeping his paws crossed.

Thank you Connie, and thank you handsome Carl. No word yet, should be getting a call sometime this am on the UA results. My guess is we'll be in for the blood work Friday or Monday. Thanks to Judy(Jillysfullhouse) I am not going to panic :)

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Marcia

Thank you Marcia, I didn't know there was a third type, and will mention this to the vet today. I'm grateful to have a very good vet. I'm trying to take in as much as I can but it's a lot to process all at once.

Glad to be of help! It's a mystery to me why most vets don't seem to consider Atypical Cushing's. It's not even a new thing. Here's a report of it going back to 1969! I know it's for a human but even so .... http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender...mp;blobtype=pdf

Marcia

:huh What does Addisonian mean?

Thanks,

Sue

Addisons Disease is the opposite of Cushings Disease.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Hey Claudia I'll be thinking of you and Misty tomorrow. I know it's hard to leave them. Thinking ice cream thoughts!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

First....... realize you don't have to do it all alone......... even though far away - you are NOT alone - as you can already tell on here...............

next - we learn....... http://www.easthilliardvet.com/archive/newsletter_07_03.htm lots of learning.............

http://www.greyken.com/medical_links.htm http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dsymptom.html http://www.garrardshorseandhound.com.au/about_us_1_1_1.cfm http://dogtime.com/dogs-with-cushings-disease-aaha.html

and lots of prayers...................

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .